1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
Wow. That boggles my mind.

·
never too old to learn
430 Posts
My Toro mower has a Kohler engine with the same claim. If you do want to change it you have to turn the machine on it’s side. Where there would be a drain plug is just polished over casting.

Will I change it? I’ll watch the level, color, and odor but I think this will work out under the conditions I subject it to. My only complaint last year was how quickly the air filter would get clogged up due to its position and design.

Attachments

·
Registered
754 Posts
The only reason you need to change oil is because it gets dirty, so they are claiming it doesn't get dirty with the new and improved engine. Without a oil filter I don't see why it would go forever with no oil change.

The thin decks they put on mowers they usually rust away or crack and break before the engines go bad. So I can see where they can make a claim like that.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Honestly, I do not see how they can claim 'no oil changes'. (1)Oil turns black from the soot particles from the combustion process. There is no way around that. More soot is not good for lubricating purposes. (2)Blended oil that is commonly used, such as 10W-30, degrades over time. That means that the lubricating properties eventually go away. (3)Yes, fuel that has ethanol blended into can degrade in 30 days since the ethanol attracts water moisture in the air which inhibits how well it burns. Using another product that also has an opened shelf life is not an exact cure.

I use fuel that does not contain ethanol which I know for a fact lasts much longer than 30 days. Depending on conditions, sometimes oil is changed once a month. I use non-blended oil such as straight 30W, mainly because I do not operate a B&S engine below 30℉.

·
LBAD Victim
1,055 Posts
Briggs and Stratton claims that their new engine design "runs at a cooler temperature, allowing the oil to remain useable."

I own one, and mine burns some oil. It has since new. My theory is that it burns off the old oil, so that when the owner would check the oil, they would add new oil, and this cycle would continue as the oil gets burned.

·
close enuff works for me
3,339 Posts
Heck people have been doing that for 60 years...
A guy I used to work with has a push mower to get the areas that his rider won,t go. He has had it for 10 plus years and just adds oil and gas as needed. Never changes the oil ,never sharpens the blade ,never puts stabil in it. Always starts and get jammed under the shrubs, and around trees, and fence post. Beats the crap out of it ,says it is easier than dealing with a weed wacker.

·
Deceased as of 06 February 2021
2,076 Posts
I hope this doesn't mean briggs will stop selling their brand of oil. That's just about the only straight 30 weight I can find around me any more.
I buy straight 30 online!

·
Deceased as of 06 February 2021
2,076 Posts
Briggs and Stratton claims that their new engine design "runs at a cooler temperature, allowing the oil to remain useable."

I own one, and mine burns some oil. It has since new. My theory is that it burns off the old oil, so that when the owner would check the oil, they would add new oil, and this cycle would continue as the oil gets burned.
Do you suppose they put bad rings in them or perhaps notch them?

·
Registered
68 Posts
My papaw bought a Wizard 20" push mower when he worked at Western Auto in 1975. It has a 3 or 3-1/2 hp Briggs on it. He never changed the oil in it. It was used to mow the whole yard until he bought a riding mower in year or two later, then he trimmed and mowed most of the front yard with it. He always checked the oil each time he used it and added if needed. That engine has had three spark plugs, one air filter, and carb gaskets once in its life. He still uses it, the deck is full of welds and all four wheels are different but it just will not give up.

·
Super Moderator
43,316 Posts
Well I've seen sludge that blocked oil paths in engines because it wasn't changed, and that killed at least one old chevy six cylinder and probably was the cause for the 2nd overheating.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.