My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm a spanking new member who lives in Illinois (or Ill-i-noise to those who don't live here). I am just a homeowner who hates cutting grass. I currently have an old Simplicity 707 Broadmoor that won't quit running. I'm considering getting an older mower that has a deck bigger than 32". I thought this site would be a good source of information. I'll be happy to contribute when I can, but my lawnmower knowledge is probably less than most that frequent this board.

I also have an old John Deere 400 that I bought a couple of years ago. It had a bad motor, so I tore the whole tractor apart and have probably forgotten how to put it back together. If I ever get it put together, it may make a good trade for a more appropriate mower for my place. I was thoroughly shocked at the cost of rebuilding the Kohler K532 motor in the 400. I could have rebuilt a smallblock Chevy for less.

Being a tightwad and liking a challenge, my modus operandi, typically, is to purchase a piece of junk and then spend more time, money, and frustration on it than I should, all the while reminding myself to never make the same mistake. I guess I have a short term memory.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
another guy from fee ya to death Ill-i-noise; I am in the process of redoing a 12-1/2 HP Briggs (single cyl) and by the time I add up parts and the machine shop bill I'm gonna be "into" it for ~$300; and thats with aftermarket parts that cost 1/2 of what OE ones do and searching for the best overall deal from one seller so I can get it all here for only 1 shipping fee.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
:Welcome1:

Welcome to MTF!

I think a lot of are of the tightwad challenge lover variety here too. You'll fit right in.

·
Super Moderator
17,123 Posts
Welcome to the Forum:MTF_wel:

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
:Welcome1: and have fun with the search for your perfect tractor. slkpk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts