My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Professional Homeowner
6,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, maybe a small biometric one for pistol storage by the bed or something.

I got fed up with digging through a refrigerator sized gun safe to get to the gun I wanted, so I came up with a solution and took it to the borderline extreme.

New Man Cave allows complete liberation of my small collection, with plenty of room to display them. It’s still a work in progress, so bear with me. The blue locking acid cabinet is a REALLY cool ammo storage cabinet. Another measure of protection. The last picture is a google image of the look I’m ultimately going for. I have a ways to go though. I don’t have enough guns yet.

Ceiling and walls in the room are reinforced concrete. The custom made Door is by no means impenetrable, but harder to get through than a typical gun safe door, and can’t just swipe the safe and open it later... the house is literally built around this room. Like I say - not impenetrable but more secure and convenient than a gun safe. This is NOT designed as a panic room, but it could serve as one. I basically intend for it to be a very fire resistant walk in gun safe / man cave.

Attachments

·
Parts collector
2,770 Posts
:tango_face_surprise

·
Registered
690 Posts
Great project. Just curious about the reinforced concrete room. Did you design/build or repurpose something else?

I can't imaging any bad guys even considering a move on your room. Having said that, you know there are a few stupid or stoned enough to think it possible.

Will, or do you have any moisture issues? I have a small pistol safe that is OK, but I also have a larger fire proof safe that ruins anything in it unless I keep the dehumidifier crystals perfectly dry.

Nice work!!

·
Professional Homeowner
6,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Great project. Just curious about the reinforced concrete room. Did you design/build or repurpose something else?

I can't imaging any bad guys even considering a move on your room. Having said that, you know there are a few stupid or stoned enough to think it possible.

Will, or do you have any moisture issues? I have a small pistol safe that is OK, but I also have a larger fire proof safe that ruins anything in it unless I keep the dehumidifier crystals perfectly dry.

Nice work!!
Thanks! Lots of work still to do. Room is still in raw state, concrete and foam only. I’ll get some mice wall racks and peg/slot boards for the walls. Still trying to decide what to do with the ceiling. It’s maybe 7’ because it’s so thick.

Definitely a dehumidifier, and the room is designed for it... there’s a trap in there leading to the lift station.

The room is actually designed as a safe, not repurposed. The walls and floor were poured with the rest of them. Ceiling was done on its own pour several weeks later after the floor was good and cured enough to support it. Many forms were used in the ceiling pour... it’s 10” thick with about 4x the rebar required. A small airplane could crash on the house and this room will survive.

It’s not impenetrable by any means, but you’re going to need a lot of time and an industrial concrete saw or good grinder with cutting wheels to get through.

The door frame was poured with the wall, but something went wrong. Door frame ended up very crooked, and it had to be cut out and re-done. It took 2 guys 10 hours each to cut it out, burning up a Hilti gas concrete saw in the process. It was then returned to the fabricator, re-squared, and drilled for several dowels. Upon reinstalling it, about 10 #6 rebar were sunk about 12” into the walls and footing, and some 8” into the ceiling. Frame was then grouted inside for smoke/fire resistance. It’s probably stronger now than when first poured with the additional reinforcement.

The door is hidden which I won’t outright post how or where, but it isn’t hugely difficult to find. It’s not as intricate or original as many “secret room” pictures I’ve seen, but it’s probably more secure than most I’ve seen such as just a hinged bookshelf with hidden release. Even if it’s noticed, it isn’t intuitive, quick, or quiet to access.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Looks like the cat's meow, however, I question the wisdom of posting pictures of your toys online.

I know I'm paranoid, but am i paranoid enough?

·
Professional Homeowner
6,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like the cat's meow, however, I question the wisdom of posting pictures of your toys online.

I know I'm paranoid, but am i paranoid enough?
You mean the empty gun cases and empty boxes in the picture? The .50 cal in the foreground has been posted about before. The 2 ARs shown are .22 cal replicas. The pile of about 10 in the corner is .177 daisy, pumpmaster 760 and 1700/2100 BB guns. And I counted 4 shotguns. Besides the .50 there really isn’t anything valuable pictured. I’m at least a little smarter than that :)

The last picture isn’t mine, rather one I stole from a “gun room ideas” google search.

·
Registered
690 Posts
You sure did some good work on that room. Makes me stop and think, here I am in my "man cave" with dry wall, insulation, fiberboard, and some plastic siding standing between me and the great outdoors. A determined guy with a garden claw could be inside in a matter of a minute or so.....ugh!! Sort of like the only thing keeping us from head on collisions are some painted lines on the road....

Anyway, that is one heck of an impressive project!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Very nice. Sounds over built, but I guess that's neccessary today.
The only thing I question is the lock. Those electronic locks dont have a great track record.
They fail quite often. I'd change to a good manual combination lock.
I did when my electronic failed. Lock smith said it's very common to switch them out. And he told me the only mantience needed would be some grease in about 100 years, lol.

·
Professional Homeowner
6,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very nice. Sounds over built, but I guess that's neccessary today.
The only thing I question is the lock. Those electronic locks dont have a great track record.
They fail quite often. I'd change to a good manual combination lock.
I did when my electronic failed. Lock smith said it's very common to switch them out. And he told me the only mantience needed would be some grease in about 100 years, lol.
You know I was leery about that, too. There’s a special override code that can be inputted in case of lock malfunction, which i’ve since lost. I’ve been looking for it for 2 days now. I also worry it won’t work in the aftermath in the event of a fire. My inlaws has trouble with their e-lock on their safe also. They Ended up replacing the safe about a month ago after only 7 or 8 years. Supposedly it’s a known problem with that model. This is built such that it can be opened from inside, so that might help in an emergency (without getting into too much detail as to how).

This lock mechanism is pretty high end, I guess. They’re not known for trouble and they’re pretty pricey. I did want originally one with a key backup behind the panel, but this company doesn’t make them because they “aren’t secure.”

I have also seen manual combination locks fail. We just scrapped out a safe from the 70s or 80s that quit on us. I don’t recall if it was a great safe to begin with or not. It felt pretty cheap and light compared to my small 4 number combo Meilink.

·
Rebuilding my First JD GT
3,302 Posts
Very cool storage cave thing.

·
Professional Homeowner
6,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a room like that also... I keep wine in it though.
Yeah... my wine collection is in there, too. Just not at the time of the pictures. I picked up 4 bottles of Winking Owl moscato. Each bottle set me back $2.99. I feel like I need to protect my investment.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hope you locate that master code, you'll probably need it.
When my e lock failed, it did so intermittently. The master code wouldn't work either. Sometimes it took a few minutes, or hours, or days till it would open. Very frustrating during hunting season.
When the lock Smith changed it out, he took a look at the e lock. Told me the solenoid was the bad part, and a very common failure. He said it can happen to any e lock, doesnt matter who made it. Also told me I was lucky that it opened, otherwise it gets pretty expensive. That's when he drills it, to get it open.
I'll never have another e lock on anything, learned my lesson. Good luck with yours.

·
15,000 +posts!
19,604 Posts
Wow,MTF not only has members that are tractor experts,some are survivalists and safe crackers in their spare time !..:eek:

Burt Gummer did come to mind when I first saw the pictures too!..couldn't think of his name though...:D

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,041 Posts
Very cool. I wish I could do that in my house, I recently just built a hideway second cabinet in a new closet in my house, anyone who really looks can tell it's more than a bookshelf with storage next to it, but it's built pretty well, and not super easy to access, and offers a lot more storage and security.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts