My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All i hear is how great the Cubs are. Went and bought this 109 non running for 300 bucks about a month ago.Rebuilt the carb and got the Kohler running then come to find out the deck spindles are bad hydro fan is busted SG doesnt charge both back tires and rims had to be replaced and many other things needed attention. Cant see spending a fortune on a tractor that is worth maybe 400 bucks in perfect condition on a good day.Parts were very hard to find and the nearest dealer was over an hour away.The old Kohler sounded like it was straining its guts out just to pull itself. Put it on CL for 200 bucks and sold it an hour later.Some one told me to treat it as a hobby not as a buisness. Well if this were a buisness i would be bankrupt. Sorry guys but no more Cubs round here.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Not to rub salt into the wound, but IMO you paid way too much for that tractor. My max on any non-running tractor is $150. Also if buying to fix and sell, you should know what a running machine is worth.

At least you had fun working on it.

Better luck next time.

·
Banned
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not to rub salt into the wound, but IMO you paid way too much for that tractor. My max on any non-running tractor is $150. Also if buying to fix and sell, you should know what a running machine is worth.

At least you had fun working on it.

Better luck next time.
The old guy i bought it from was firm on the price and i wanted a Cub real bad from hearing how good they are from the forums. As far as fun it wasnt..nothing but aggrevation. Some one here said the deck could be rebuilt for less than 100 bucks. Untrue...used spindles were 50 bucks apiece thats 150.00 plus shipping blades were 40 bucks a set and another 30 at least for belts. Go figure. Thats what made me so disgusted.

·
Old Guy With Old Toys
1,178 Posts
Sounds to me like you failed to look her over real good before buying.
The older Cubs are great machines, at least the 122 that I've owned since 1972 has been.

·
Banned
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds to me like you failed to look her over real good before buying.
The older Cubs are great machines, at least the 122 that I've owned since 1972 has been.
Since it wasnt running had to take the guys word.It probably was a nice tractor before he left it outside for several years. Hence all the problems it had.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,421 Posts
Not to bash them,but I soured on them too,when I had one that decided to shear the flywheel key 3 times in one week!..I quickly became NO fan of the engine layout --I liked the clutch and driveshaft idea,but WHY drive ot off the WRONG (flywheel) end of the engine?..you cant expect an aluminum key to drive 10 HP worth of torque to the tranny,it didnt work for me at least..how it works for anyone is beyond me!..

I put the tang of a file in there instead of a "correct" key and sold the dang thing before I took my cutting torch to it!..I lost money,but didn't care by then...mine had a Briggs 10 HP,maybe it was not "original",but it looked to be..--I also had one cub cadet that the rear end locked up tight,it was full of rusty water,I figured a ball bearing came out of a race and got jammed in the gears,so I hunted for a used one..everyone that had one wanted 150 bucks,100 more than I paid for it--I ended up selling it to one of the guys who had a rear end for sale for 60 bucks,and didn't shed one tear..

Not every tractor is "fun" or turns out the way you hoped,its just the gamble you take,playing with these things..and one can be a diamond,another identical one can be a stone..it's best not to get too upset when things go wrong,but I know,I should talk,right?..! I've had lots of days I regetted buying some of what I have!..

·
Banned
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another thing that peed me off was that the Cub is real popular but no one could give me much advice.Some of the guys here were very helpful while others just seemed to guess.Never could get anybody to tell me if certain spindles on ebay would work.No one seemed to have hands on knowledge.

·
Parts Robber
171 Posts
Not trying to pick a fight but sounds like you just made a bad buy because the the seller lied to you. That does not make all Cubs bad - if that were the case I could say every brand out there is junk because I've seen people make bad buys on all makes.

If you were buying it to make money then you were just suckered by previous owner. If you were buying it because you wanted one then you gave up too soon. You odviously didn't do your homework on the tractor because you sold it for what the wheel weights that were on it are worth. Even if you had to put $1,000 into it it would be 10x better than any new tractor you could buy for close to that.

Don't give a tractor a bad rap because you don't know what you're doing !

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
When you buy an older machine like that you must understand that you should go through the entire machine replacing and repairing what ails it. otherwise you'll be constantly chasing repairs.

You just can't buy an older machine like that an expect to go out and plow under the back forty, you gave that machine away.

On all of my older machines I put at least a $1000 into them... and they are just used for shows, the Case 180 I just bought will have at least that into it before I'm finished with it.

The original Cubs are solid stout machines IMO.

·
Super Moderator
16,350 Posts
I have to agree with Caseman 2 on this one. I have Put atleast a $1,000 into my each of my IH cub's and there Just for work.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
What were your expectations of this tractor to begin with? I also agree with Caseman2. You had a very solid machine that you gave up on. You gave $300 and lets say you put a $1000 into it. Then for a total of $1300 what would you get today for $1300 and not have problems with? Always know what your getting into before buying. You could've parted it out for more than you have into it. I hope you find what your looking for and enjoy it. slkpk

·
Banned
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is how i feel. Sure i know it would need alittle work but didnt think it would need THAT much. I have seen lots of Cubs in good running cond. sell for around 300 bucks or so .Just the other day a nice 109 only brought 153.00 on ebay.I paid too much for it to start with i know but wanted it bad and they are hard to find here.

By the way..it wasnt too popular on CL because i only got 2 calls.The sucker who bought it and another guy who said I was asking way to much in the cond. it was in.

I did keep the weights.I paid 20 bucks for them..now they are on ebay.

·
Landscaping Nut
1,362 Posts
Buying one of these older machines should be viewed as a big undertaking. In time as well as money.

It works if viewed as an exercise in problem solving with the payoff being owning a machine which may perform useful work if you get it right.

I share your opinion on the quality of opinions expressed on this MTF forum. Most opinions provided are either not useful, misleading and occasionally malicious.

The most misleading ones are by people who are fan boys of particular brands and can't appreciate or practice a measure of objectivity in their opinions. They mislead the uninformed into buying 'their' brand with a predictable disappointing outcome.

·
Banned
852 Posts
You had this complaint before. It's not the tractor it's you. I ask you again, What do you want for $300?????

I don't ice skate, guess I won't buy a pair of ice skates.

BTW DON'T buy a used car, or a used house or a used anything, you need warranties.

Scott

·
Banned
852 Posts
BTW just last week I spent $500 on tires and wheel weights for the rear of my 982 and you complain about a whole tractor for $300???????? Still scratching my head over your thinking process.

Scott

·
Banned
852 Posts
Tonight I'm picking up a 582 that I agreed to pay $425 for, it will get totally stipped and rebuilt as a custom build. Motor will be sold for parts, the frame will be cut up and rewelded, new motor, new clutch, tires, weights, paint, decals, electric lift, rebuilt deck, new drive shaft, new grill, new brakes, etc..... $300?????????????????????????????? haha! not to mention the 100 hours of work.

Scott

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I found an old 123 in a field that had set out there for many yearss. It was a rust bucket. I overhaul the hydro, rebuit the K301 completely ( rod, piston, bearings, gaskets, and machine shop work ) rebuilt the carb, sand blasted the frame, painted with a clearcot IH paint, new tires and I also modified the spindles. I spent over 1200.00 on it and it runs like a top. I work it to death. Would I do it again... yes. Ihave found that if you buy something to rebuild and keep then the monies really don't matter as it is a hobby. Would I sell it... no. I am satified with the idea that I did it and it's mine. I have been offered good money for it but the hours of love and the finished product make it priceless. I guess it is somrething you have to want to do. If one does not want to then forgo the experience.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I got an old quiet line 1450 that does a fine job 44" deck and hydraulic lift blade. Paid $320 for it. Id put it up against any tractor out here of its size. You just got took, it happens. Nothing wrong with cubs, you get what you pay for.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts