My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just needed to vent.
I needed a male & female hydraulic coupler for my John Deere 3038E so I ordered from Amazon. They had couplers by Summit Hydraulic listed for that model so I ordered.
One arrived USPS Sunday, other (2 pack male) Monday. They're tiny (1/4"), so I call Amazon. They said they could refund one, not the other since one was a "shelf" item, other came from Summit (whut?!?). I emailed pictures both Amazon & Summit. I call Summit..."it was supposed to fit".
I got two from our local Tractor Supply yesterday...they're fine, 3/4".
Bottom line, I know lots of people order Amazon, but I never will!
I called credit card co who issued a chargeback so I got my money back. I offered Amazon & Summit send me a call tag (return label)...I'll send them back...(said they can't?!?).
Sorry...just venting.

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you demand perfection from everyone, you will be disappointed often.
I saw that in a fortune cookie once.
I don't demand perfection, just expect to get what's listed to work...and if there's a problem, make it right!

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
765 Posts
Unfortunately, Amazon is frequently the only place I can find many of the things I need or want. So, I guess Jeff will continue to get my business.

·
Premium Member
3,067 Posts
Customer service has been dead for years now, only those old enough to remember what it once was, mourn the passing. It hasn't been taught in schools, not part and parcel of a business administration degree to an entire generation.

·
Super Moderator
9,397 Posts
@Sevenhills1952 ...for stuff like that you can call surplus center or Graingers...surpluscenter has decent quality stuff at fair prices...Grainger's stuff is all top quality... a little more expensive, but worth it...especially if you have a location near you where you can walk in and bring a sample to be matched up

·
Super Moderator
7,019 Posts
Sorry about the wrong parts Sevenhills. One thing I've noticed about Amazon is a lack of complete info on the product. I have sent sellers messages to try and clarify the info with more success on ebay than Amazon.

·
Super Moderator
7,019 Posts
I will only do ebay if I know the company on the other end. Burnt to many times.
I know you've said this before. Care to share the details?

I recently bought a gear for my Cub 3240 off ebay and was sent a piece of junk. I followed ebay's return process and got this within 1 hour.

·
Premium Member
4,134 Posts
I know you've said this before. Care to share the details?

I recently bought a gear for my Cub 3240 off ebay and was sent a piece of junk. I followed ebay's return process and got this within 1 hour.

Guess my biggest beef is with ebays shipping process. No notification the item has shipped or when to expect arrival is demanded of the seller. Reputable seller will send a notification. Your order has processed and your tracking number is this. But it is not an ebay requirement. All my future ebay purchases will be threw PayPal and no payment released until I am happy. Unless I know whom I am buying from.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Why I don't order online unless I have to. The item may be somewhat cheaper but by the time I pay freight, duty and exchange I am better off buying locally and I make sure it is right before I hand over the cc.. The local Stihl dealer quoted a customer $41 cdn for a part he could have the following day, the guy called him a thief. He could get it online for $25 so the dealer said go ahead, he can't buy it for that. The customer came back and apologized, cost him $71 landed at his door two weeks later.

·
Super Moderator
13,441 Posts
Sadly you get what you pay for most of the time. Amazon is cheap and you get either cheap parts or cheap customer service. Local hydraulic shop, you pay more but get exactly what you need or even gasp your local Deere dealer. I put the gasp in there because there is a common misconception that all Deere prices are outrageous, when I can say from my experience not all of the prices are over the moon. Filters, fluids, and some hydraulic parts are reasonable at Deere. It’s sad when I see part like hydraulic caps on eBay selling for more than I can walk in and get them.

Reactions: bontai Joe

·
Citizen of Earth
15,671 Posts
I have purchased exactly 2 items from Amazon. The first one was something that I tried and failed to get locally, Ebay, or Walmart.com. The second was to use up a $50 gift card to get something my wife wanted. Mr. Bezos doesn't need any of my money.

·
I break things
451 Posts
My experience with Amazon yesterday was totally the opposite. I had a few items that i tried to return, and they refunded me the money on two and told me to keep them. Now i have spares for my project. The third came from a "vendor" and could not be returned. Any attempt to contact the vendor just had me in a loop. I contacted them through the Chat feature and they sent out an email to the vendor. This item wasnt even taken out of the mailer, so I would like to send it back. They said that if i dont get a response in a couple days they would make things right. Either way by refunding me on the other two that offsets what I paid on the third so it is all a wash.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I don't remember, if it was Amazon or Ebay or both, but I saw a video of some guys who buy "returned items" from one or both of them for pennies on the dollar and fish through the junk to try to resell some of it on their own. Literally several hundreds of items per pallet.
Maybe the sheer volume of returned/opened/broken itmes isn't worth the cost to have them returned then disposed of by these giants?

·
Super Moderator
9,397 Posts
I have had pretty good luck with both...but what I do not like about ebay is that you receive notice that something has shipped...when all that has happened is that the seller created a mailing label and it can sit around for a week or so before actually getting into the mail to you...there is no reason for that....when I am buying a part, it is because I have a machine on jack stands and need it NOW...Amazon is not as good as they were before COVID, but still very decent delivery speed...not had any problem with either one as far as refunds or returns.....Amazon sellers can give you no information on their goods....Ebay is better about that

·
Premium Member
4,134 Posts
I passed on a Walmart item recently because the description was so vague it did not explain what they were selling and reviews expressed my concern.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I've bought quite a few hydraulic couplers on Amazon, the main thing you need to check the size of the coupler and the style. If they don't have the info listed i've always had good luck asking a question to get the answer.

Also there are 4 different styles of couplers so you have to choose the one that's the same as yours.

I always look at the numbers on my couplers and then buy the same numbers online.

·
Money Pit
748 Posts
I order thousands of $ in lawn mower parts a year from Amazon. I would much rather buy local but I have to keep the overhead down. I'm about a hour away from Amazon. A lot of things I order from Amazon are in stock and at my front door in a day or two. Over the years I would say they get things right 90% of the time. The 10% of the screwed up orders I receive is Human error, 1% my bad ordered the wrong part, 9% their bad shipped the wrong part or damaged the parts in packaging. Every time they mess up they don't want the parts back and send me replacements. In the end I have to thank Amazon for helping me with free inventory.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts