My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
im sorry.....i posted earlier it was indeed my ignition switch. i can still turn switch on ,it just wont turn starter. i put in a toggle between starter and solenoid.starts right up now. i just have to start it before getting on it with parking brake on and seat switch bypassed.

·
Make Better Mowers
2,010 Posts
im sorry.....i posted earlier it was indeed my ignition switch. i can still turn switch on ,it just wont turn starter. i put in a toggle between starter and solenoid.starts right up now. i just have to start it before getting on it with parking brake on and seat switch bypassed.
So the solenoid has power, but NOT from the switch. Bad switch or Solenoid.......most likely, the sollenoid.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Gene, he has 12 vDC to the hot side of the solenoid, when solenoid ‘coil‘ goes hot (12 vDC), the engine would start. Switches usually go bad from sitting outside in the rain, water gets into the switch multiple times. Corrosion eventually causes his original problem. For stupidly high prices, I do exactly what he did, just bypass the problem w/a simple push button (N.O. Normally Open) switch. For a bad solenoid that’s likewise priced in the clouds, I pick up the cheapest one I can find and use that. It doesn’t take rocket science to install one. I’ve even used an automotive solenoid from the bone yard (wrecking/junk yard), and those can be picked up very inexpensively.

·
Make Better Mowers
2,010 Posts
Gene, he has 12 vDC to the hot side of the solenoid, when solenoid ‘coil‘ goes hot (12 vDC), the engine would start. Switches usually go bad from sitting outside in the rain, water gets into the switch multiple times. Corrosion eventually causes his original problem. For stupidly high prices, I do exactly what he did, just bypass the problem w/a simple push button (N.O. Normally Open) switch. For a bad solenoid that’s likewise priced in the clouds, I pick up the cheapest one I can find and use that. It doesn’t take rocket science to install one. I’ve even used an automotive solenoid from the bone yard (wrecking/junk yard), and those can be picked up very inexpensively.
He didn't say which terminal he used on the solenoid.

·
2,845 Posts
Hornet...the discussion of bypassing safety devices is the subject of house rule #5 https://www.mytractorforum.com/threads/mytractorforum-com-house-rules.821/
For everyone's safety, the topic of bypassing of safety equipment is not allowed

·
Registered
18 Posts
Pin out the start wire on the back of the switch when you turn to "start". I have seen this wire go open on these models in the past. Should be White, but it's been a while.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts