My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tractors been running great....po said switch was bad. i posted an earlier thread addressing same issue. i cleaned all contacts and switches. mower fired up and has been great. i even contacted po and told him all was good. started it last night and all was good. went to start it this morning and nothing.wth ?checked safety switches and they test good.i bypassed ignition switch and starter turned right over.with my test light i dont have any juice to my solenoid when switch is activated. whats my next step? why would switch work so good then nothing? im not convinced swith is bad.

·
Super Moderator
8,205 Posts
What tractor are we talking about first of all? Generally speaking, electrical gremlins like this are almost always a grounding issue. Loose or corroded contacts somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lx176.....my mind has been on grounding. but grounding wire eyeballs good thoiugh.

·
Registered
161 Posts
lx176.....my mind has been on grounding. but grounding wire eyeballs good thoiugh.
Yeah but remember you're working with a lousy 12 volts here... just cause a connection LOOKS good doesn't mean it is. Check resistance with an ohmmeter or do a voltage drop test with voltmeter.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ground is good and pto is off.i even disconnected pto .yall help me with process of elimination .what could cause it not to turn over? i know two 'safety switches' are involved. are there any more? theres the 'battery ' which is good, the 'starter 'which is good. the 'solenoid' which good because i can jump the starter with it.then theres the 'switch'. am i missing anything?

·
Administrator
5,024 Posts
How old is the tractor? The contacts in the switch could be worn from age and not making contact all the time. I had to replace a couple of switches, they were 45 years old.

·
Senior MTF Poster
12,890 Posts
Use a good set of jumper cables to check by by-passing ground and various other circuits until you locate or narrow down where the problem is.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
61 Posts
tractors been running great....po said switch was bad. i posted an earlier thread addressing same issue. i cleaned all contacts and switches. mower fired up and has been great. i even contacted po and told him all was good. started it last night and all was good. went to start it this morning and nothing.wth ?checked safety switches and they test good.i bypassed ignition switch and starter turned right over.with my test light i dont have any juice to my solenoid when switch is activated. whats my next step? why would switch work so good then nothing? im not convinced swith is bad.
As a retired Electronics Tech, I can tell you that grounding and contact problems are 99% of electrical problems. I would do the following:
1. Remove the ground connector, inspect and CLEAN it, make sure the wire to connector crimp is good. Re-install it. TRY IT. Connections can LOOK good, but are corroded anyway.
2. Don't assume it's fixed. Next, jumper across 1 safety switch at a time. TRY IT. Fixed? Replace switch. Not fixed?
3. Replace the ignition switch. Don't try to clean it. Just replace it. BUT make sure you check the harness connector closely. TRY IT. Fixed? OK....No? Now you're facing the solenoid/starter gremlins.
4. Jumper straight from the battery to the solenoid......
Keep a list to remember what you've done so you don't repeat your effort. I know it's frustrating but you ARE doing it logically.
If none of this works, you have a harness problem. Disconnect the battery and check connections with an ohmmeter. Good luck..

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok...battery is good...starter is good....ground connection is good...i even added an extra ground just in case. solenoid is good....seat switch and brake switch at the transmission is good.i did discover by tracing wires to the solenoid that i do have continuity at the solenoid from the switch when switch is turned on.so i checked how many volts are getting to the solenoid nd all i get is random voltage. how many volts should be there when key switch is turned on? i do have 12 constant volts at starter.does this mean my switch is bad? so to recap...i have 12 volts at starter,when key switch is turned on i do have continuity from key switch to solenoid but not 12 volts. my tired brain says switch is bad.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Hornet, You say "switch", which switch? With ignition switch "On", you should not have power (12v) to your solenoid, only in "Start". You should have 12VDC or battery voltage to your stater solenoid in the "Start" position. Bob

·
Registered
61 Posts
ok...battery is good...starter is good....ground connection is good...i even added an extra ground just in case. solenoid is good....seat switch and brake switch at the transmission is good.i did discover by tracing wires to the solenoid that i do have continuity at the solenoid from the switch when switch is turned on.so i checked how many volts are getting to the solenoid nd all i get is random voltage. how many volts should be there when key switch is turned on? i do have 12 constant volts at starter.does this mean my switch is bad? so to recap...i have 12 volts at starter,when key switch is turned on i do have continuity from key switch to solenoid but not 12 volts. my tired brain says switch is bad.
Bob is correct.....change the ignition switch.....

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah its my switch...175.00 for a new switch? i dont think so.i just put a switch between battery and solenoid. badda bing badda bang i got power. this is my first deere.whats up with these part prices? john deere should just give these mowers away and make their money at the parts counter.

·
Registered
61 Posts
yeah its my switch...175.00 for a new switch? i dont think so.i just put a switch between battery and solenoid. badda bing badda bang i got power. this is my first deere.whats up with these part prices? john deere should just give these mowers away and make their money at the parts counter.
Ridiculous, isn't it? Look on the web for Used JD Parts....lots of places to check....kinda like Pick-a-Part.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the key switch is on a electronic board with soldered diodes and capacitors and dozens of other soldered connections.used ones are going for 75.00.but im not paying that either for a 25 year old switch.ill be in same boat next year.i only gave 150 for the mower and wanted to see how cheap I could get it back up and looking decent again.. it was non running and the floor pans were rusted through,seat is shot and this ridiculous top heavy flimsy hood is busted all to shirt.ive fixed it up pretty good.ive put a 100 bucks in it mainly on fluids and a seat cover and a lot of elbow grease.kawasaki 14 horse sounds good and smooth as does the tranny.deck is solid and mandrels move freely.ill post some pics later.

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
IMHO I really like the FB and FC (Kawasaki) line the few I’ve had problems with. I bought without oil in crankcase. Lol.

·
Make Better Mowers
2,010 Posts
Both switches and starter solenoids are cheap. With an older tractor, I'd replace both. Often the contacts (inside) of the solenoid are worn and also often the "travel of the contacts is hamperd..........just replace.

·
Make Better Mowers
2,010 Posts
As I reread this original post, bad switch jumps right out at me!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts