My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a known fact... when two people get together, they don't agree on the same thing.
This be the case of my 1949 Ford 8N tractor, and my newly required 2009 John Deere 2320 tractor. So, here is the history on the two. I bought (traded labor) for the 8N in 1974 from a owner of a Ford Tractor dealership in Springfield, Mo The owner worked for Ford in Dearborn, Mi during the late 1930's to late 1950's, and after he retired he bought the tractor dealership. He had collected eight (8) N series tractors. All new and never was used in the field. He had the eight tractors in a room just for show. Covered with special made blankets for their protection. Mr. Thomas Edell, owner ask me to build him a 50' x 80' garage. I figured the labor at $3500. He said it was too much. I wouldn't come down, and he wouldn't except the labor fee. During this up and down discussion, I told him I would do the labor for one of the Ford tractors he had in the back room. The one I wanted was the '49 8N with about 12 hours on it. He accepted my offer with some sad tear like on his face. The 8N still had the original oil, filter, and everything that came from the factory.

Yesterday...August 9th. I made a trip to Nebraska to buy the 2009 JD 2320 with a 54" drive-on mower deck, and 26 hours. Cost $12.500.00 plus my time and fuel to haul it home.

Although, the John Deere is new, shiny, and has a lot more bells and whistles, the old 1949 Ford 8N still "outdo" the John Deere any day. There is "no comparison" when it comes to durability and longevity.
The 8N will be around long after the 2320 is laid to rest.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Sweet lookin tractor... and quite the find.

·
Registered
79 Posts
WOW!! What a beautiful 8N. It was really a nice treat to see one in such fine original condition. A while back, I had questions on the correct colors for the seat and the steering wheel on a '52 8N that I was refurbishing.

The answers I got were well educated guesses, but now I see that they were correct (black). I see that I missed the grey color when I painted my tractor, I really like the original color (see "Finally: Pics of my '52 8N). I used a Valspar Ford grey???

Thank you for sharing with us.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Nice looking tractors and you are right the Ford is better at least in my Ford prejudiced eyes. Great story about how you acquired the 8N thanks for sharing.
GB in MN
Two Fords
1948 8N
1958 641

·
Super Moderator
35,799 Posts
Both tractors very nice! Like the 8N story and I think if you keep the maintenance on your JD like you've done on the 8N they'll both be around for a very long time!

·
Banned
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks gentlemen for the nice comments. Several years also I was pulling a float in a Veterans Day parade, when two gentlemen followed me to the end of the parade route to offer me $5,000.00 for the 8N. At the time the 8N was more important than the offer. Today, I just might take up that offer.

The 8N is always garaged and covered. I don't remember if it ever has been rained on. To keep it looking like new, it gets a wax and polish each year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts