My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At a hardware store today I found a 10424 with rear bagger setup...$150. I know it's worth more, and I could simply flip it on ebay. Or, I might have a project in mind for the engine. On the other hand, I am working very hard to keep my number of mowers under control, and I am in no position to be throwing money around at the moment.. Should I return tomorrow and make an offer?

·
Lawn-Boy fan
1,566 Posts
I'm in no position to throw money around either, but I'd buy it. Should bring more than that on ebay no problem. I almost have my 424 together and I can't wait to use it.

Go offer $125 for it and see what happens.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Sound's like a good deal.....$$ invested in that mower would make more than leaving it in the bank.....ebay + shipping should make a little profit...:wwp:

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Ebay hasn't been making much sense to me lately. Prices are all over the place, even for machines of the same type. I don't think it's as big of a no-brainer as you may think. I'd say $200-$350 bucks on there, assuming it's clean. Is it worth it? I say no.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did buy it. I didn't haggle much because the price was fair and it ran very well. I did get a 4 pack of LawnBoy oil to go with it!

It came with the rear bagger, and an old-school side bagger assembly. Without those, I may have passed. It also came with the owners manual, etc.

You guys probably don't want to know what I have in mind for it. But as I mentioned in another post, I was looking for a 10550 to replace my 10525. The 10525 is on ebay now. And ES_Bob sent me a 10550 deck, minus engine...

Originally I planned to put an F engine on the 10550 deck, and it still could happen. Now I am leaning toward making the 10550 correct with the DF engine, and then sell the 10424 deck assembly.

I'll post pictures before anything comes apart.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
For some reason, I really enjoyed my 10424 I sold last year and I may keep the one I just fixed. I preferred it to my 22260 and I just don't know why. It seems more compact i guess, since it doesn't have the big tank.

Have you ever used a 10550/10552? I am a big three speed fan but I absolutely loathe the easy stride. If you do any precision mowing, you may find the machine hard to control. I would use a steel deck self propel over the easy stride.

-Dave

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I did get the 10424. I've already built it into a 10550. I have used a 10550 in the past, and I like it even better now for some reason.

I shipped the deck from this 10424 to ES_Bob and he sent me a 10550 deck. Very happy with how this turned out.

I'll post some 10550 pics later...

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Ain't that kinda like robbing Peter to pay Paul? Do what you like, I'm just messin with ya.

-Dave

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's pretty much how it worked, but it was not the dumbest thing, since I haven't seen a 10550 around here this year, and shipping decks is easier than shipping whole mowers.

·
Lawn-Boy fan
1,566 Posts
And I'm happy, as I have a deck for my 22260 now. Just need to find a powder-coater in my area. I think I have 3 decks for him to do now.

I'm glad you're happy Troy... it has been great working with you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts