My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Retired MTF Founder & Administrator
15,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured that title would make you guys look :sidelaugh:sidelaugh:sidelaugh

a buddy of mine works at LL Beans, they are putting this mount up in front of their Hunting & Fishing Store soon...

If you guys ever planning to go to Maine, LL Beans is a great place to check out...

They opened a Cabellas up our way recently, its huge... but still, nothing beats Beans...

nice looking Mount huh?

Attachments

·
2,261 Posts
Nice,like to have those racks to add to my wall

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Nice.

Never been to a Cabelas or Beans, but they did open a Bass Pro Shop close enough for me to visit.

Nice store, plenty of employees, but unfortunately not 1/10th the wisdom you would find at Joe's Bait Shop.

·
Retired MTF Founder & Administrator
15,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice store, plenty of employees, but unfortunately not 1/10th the wisdom you would find at Joe's Bait Shop.
Ive been to a Bass pro shop in Fla, it was HUGE!!!

The best thing about beans, or one of the best, is the quality help.... you can go to the fly fishing section and not only get someone who knows his stuff... you usually get an expert and someone who personally knows the stuff they sell, the goods and bads...

·
9K+ Poster
12,160 Posts
I second the LL Bean visit experience; that store in Freeport is amazing! It doesn't even have locks on the doors. :)

·
15,000 +posts!
20,415 Posts
I want to go to the one in Foxboro MA,and Bass Pro Shop next door to it too someday..live only 20 minutes away,yet I haven't been to either place yet!..mostly because I dont even have enough for gas to get there ,never mind BUY something!..:(

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
I have been to LL Bean in Freeport many times in the last 35 years .. and boy has it changed.

I was 14 my first time there ... from what I can remember .. it was a bunch of old buildings back then, with very discounted prices .. over the years they have built a mega show room..

Cabelas built a mega store in PA .. I mean HUGE and also open 24/7 like LL Bean

My personal choice would be Cabelas

My last trip to Florida .. I saw a few Gander Mountain stores .. I have ordered from their catalog many times .. but never visited a store .. any one been to one ??

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
We have a Gander Mountain that moved into an old Walmart building.

There are some knowledgeable folks there, but the store is a joke. Nothing you can't find at Walmart cheaper. Their guns and boats are way over-priced.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think that Cabela's has them all beat. I have been to Gander(no employee help) Bean(too expensive) Bass Pro(too not cabela's). Cabela's has an awesome return policy, and I think that you are all forgetting about the Bargain Cave. In the interest of full disclosure, I used to work for Cabela's.
Here in MN we have Mills Fleet Farm and if you are looking for fishing equipment(not help) that is the place to go, more stuff than any of the rest.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I have been to LL Bean in Freeport many times in the last 35 years .. and boy has it changed.

I was 14 my first time there ... from what I can remember .. it was a bunch of old buildings back then, with very discounted prices .. over the years they have built a mega show room..
I really liked the old L.L. BEAN's. Being on the second floor and looking down through the floorboards. :) ....... you could ask what you needed for a particular thing like fishing, camping, snowshoeingor whatever,and they all knew. Now it seems too yuppy like for me.

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
I really liked the old L.L. BEAN's. Being on the second floor and looking down through the floorboards. :) ....... you could ask what you needed for a particular thing like fishing, camping, snowshoeingor whatever,and they all knew. Now it seems too yuppy like for me.
:ditto: I just did not say it !! :sidelaugh

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
They have both now, here in the Hartford Ct. area. LL Bean is smaller than the Cabella's. Cabella's has a nice fish tank and display of stuffed wild animals. Everything is expensive IMO, at both stores. Bean seems more of a boutique clothing store and Cabella's is like a cross between Wal-Mart and Sears. Both are very nice stores to walk around!
MU

·
Registered
441 Posts
L.L.Bean was a great place at one time . But now they have more imports than US made stuff . Growing up , we could go there and buy stuff and be 99% sure it was American made . Now you have to look around to find US made stuff . Imports reign now.

And yes , it has become " yuppiefied" . Day hikers? What the heck is a "day hiker"? Or 2 day hikers etc . (these were hiking boots listed a few years ago)

Much of the decline can be associated with the handing of the reigns to the next generation .

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
Gander, Cabela's and a Bass Pro within a 30 mile circle. When Pops retired a few years back, he scored a gig in the fishing dept at Bass Pro. He loves it and he's boosted sales with a few products he repped and help sell.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts