My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Very practical choice Gerrard.

I've owned 1911's from Colt and Kahr Arms in the past, both Commander and Officer style in both - and liked all very much.
But, many guns have come and gone over the years and all of those 45's have long since gone.
However, 4 or 5 years ago I again got a hankerin' for a .45 and started looking.
I couldn't believe the prices!

Then, a particular online gun dealer I'm fond of began carrying a number of relatively affordable long guns and handguns from Turkish manufacturers. I became interested in a couple of the shotguns and also - one handgun model in particular - The Tisas .45's. I studied on them quite a bit, and then stewed on which one to buy for nearly a year.

I'm not a competition shooter, and when it comes to .45 auto I agree with 'ol Colonel Jeff - you point .45's at bad actors, whether 2 legged or 4 and simply put them down... that's all.
In the end, the choice was clear; and I decided on the bare-bones G.I. model of course.
I ordered 2 extra Mec-Gar magazines (the pistol came with 2) and some clip-on holders, and with the exception of replacing the stock smooth grip panels (which were too thick for me) with checkered rosewood slim fits from Altamont, I've left it alone.

View attachment 2485607 View attachment 2485608

It shoots point of aim under about 25 long paces with all flavors of 230 FMJ, and a little bit high with 185 HP's,
I expected at least a little bit of break-in but, NO malfunctions with Anything even when brand new!
And, the finish is very durable and withstands wear as well as any Colt; as you can see from the pics.
It's practicality, dependability, simple ergonomics and great looks have earned this .45 a permanent spot in the family!
I'm all about "Buy American" with most things but, I'm also a practical man like you.

I applaud your choice with RIA and think that you will be very happy with it.
Keep us posted... (y)

Renster
I love those grips...very nice

·
Registered
503 Posts
Gerrard,

"Getting the factory out" is where I always start after purchasing any new firearm. Heck, if I buy a used one I put it on the bench 1st thing before ever firing a shot, even if it's from someone I know (sometimes ESPECIALLY when its from someone I know)
1911 take-down and re-assembly isn't an art per se, but your are right that its not like doing more modern striker fired platforms. Actually, I find those even a bit "more" finicky than the 'ol 1911, with their thinner, smaller rails and inner-workings.
I've stripped and re-assembled my previous 1911's so many times that even after a gap of ownership, it came right back to me when I got the new Tisas on the bench.
I'm sure that the temporary Pachy grips will do fine until you decide where to land on that.

Thank you for the compliment. I do love my grips. Again - they're from Altamont's "Slim-Fit" series. Mine are rosewood but I believe they have other choices depending on what is in stock for the moment. I have medium sized hands and those rubber finger grips have very slim panels that slip under the wood ones and ad negligible thickness. Obviously I like having them for my particular grip feel and hand purchase - especially on a pistol with stout recoil, but not everyone does. I buy and use grips much more for practical purpose in hand purchase than for appearance. Luckily, you can get both easily.
I've been an Altamont fan for years. They make good quality grips and have a great selection of product choices for great value, have excellent customer service, and a number of my handguns wear them. I've never been dissatisfied dealing with Altamont.

Check 'em out and of course ...

Keep us posted
;)

Carry on Gerrard!

Renster

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Gonna check them out as soon as I finish this reply .
Luckilly my son is gonna give me a few magazines for it as they are prolly Wilsons because Ive seen them in his 1911's before, pretty good having a son who is an expert ( and I know that word is very watered down ) on handguns especially. Im pretty much an old rifle guy really but handguns have such a purpose you mush have them and since Ive been into guns my entire life Ive managed to aquire a dozen or so of them and other than having something to pass on to my only son that I know he's really into I dont see the need to get anymore, but I know Ive said that many a time to but I live in town now because old folks meaning parents and such need someone to be close by incase something happens again. Unfortuneatly people are cashing-out left & right anymore.
Kinda off the subject but my mother was talking to my uncle I used to run with in Louisiana her only surviving brother at 4: 00 recently and by 6:00 ( two hrs. later ) she got a call he was dead and she just got out of the hospital a day before that. My Dad and my brother passed away a cpl yrs ago so I have to be close anymore and I cant stand to go to a range and shoot, our local range has no range master wich has good points but a cpl ppl have been shot and killed out there as well and you have to take someone with you to watch your'e back and stuff when putting out targets depending on whos there.
A cpl yrs ago 2 guys were AWOL from the military and a young very well liked Pastor of a big church in this town ( Huntington) went out there to do sum shooting w/his handguns and these guys were just waiting to ambush someone to get out of town and were in the weeds/woods out there ( range is in a state park, Beech Fork) and noone else was out there and he went to check his targets and they come outta the weeds grabbed his gun on the bench and shot and killed him and drove off in his SUV with his guns.
They were caught a cpl days later in one of the Carolinas as best I know and one of them was to be executed.
Point being they are just collecting dust and I have much money in all of them. There is a good indoor range at a gun shop a mile or two away but its like $30 per. hr to use it, dont really like them apples.
There is a place near my sons house where we take handguns just to see if they go bang or click and pump a few mags thru them but cant really do any serious shooting there, I like to sit down and dial-in some of my scoped stuff and put out some good targets, adj. some sights and stuff like that without being bothered like where I used to live where we could shoot 24/7 and we did and my son would hunt out there to because we had 100+ acres that was ours for all intent and purpose. We would stand in the kitchen and lay the rifle on the window sill and shoot when we saw a deer if it was very cold lol. Or he did because I dont hunt myself but I do eat them.
Those deer would just eat among the horses like they were all buddies lol...crazy but he's gonna get a small farm so we'll have a place to shoot.
I know im long-winded but Im bored as heck in the winter lol
Happy Trails all of you !
Let me find a pic to post in closing

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Gerrard,

"Getting the factory out" is where I always start after purchasing any new firearm. Heck, if I buy a used one I put it on the bench 1st thing before ever firing a shot, even if it's from someone I know (sometimes ESPECIALLY when its from someone I know)
1911 take-down and re-assembly isn't an art per se, but your are right that its not like doing more modern striker fired platforms. Actually, I find those even a bit "more" finicky than the 'ol 1911, with their thinner, smaller rails and inner-workings.
I've stripped and re-assembled my previous 1911's so many times that even after a gap of ownership, it came right back to me when I got the new Tisas on the bench.
I'm sure that the temporary Pachy grips will do fine until you decide where to land on that.

Thank you for the compliment. I do love my grips. Again - they're from Altamont's "Slim-Fit" series. Mine are rosewood but I believe they have other choices depending on what is in stock for the moment. I have medium sized hands and those rubber finger grips have very slim panels that slip under the wood ones and ad negligible thickness. Obviously I like having them for my particular grip feel and hand purchase - especially on a pistol with stout recoil, but not everyone does. I buy and use grips much more for practical purpose in hand purchase than for appearance. Luckily, you can get both easily.
I've been an Altamont fan for years. They make good quality grips and have a great selection of product choices for great value, have excellent customer service, and a number of my handguns wear them. I've never been dissatisfied dealing with Altamont.

Check 'em out and of course ...

Keep us posted
;)

Carry on Gerrard!

Renster
I already have a pair of slabs picked out from Altamont, thanks for the heads-up on them.
Dont buy grips for the guns Ive been getting for a long time now, Ive got a .22/.22 mag single action wheelie but Ive never thot about changing grips on it cause it would be almost what the gun cost.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Altho I havn't shot it yet I managed to pick-up a few things for my newest purchase and possibly my last but after that 1955 Savage combo rifle I saw today who knows ( shot gun-rifle ) had I had the money I woulda taken that home with me for sure because it musta been in #10 condition and was even fancier than most of them were with the pistol grip stock. Forgot the mod #, 24 or something. If I dont have the money for something I dont check it out very much, just makes it worse.
But Im just picking up some stuff as I come by it.
A little white paint from a paint marker looks like it will be better than what it had wich is nuttin lol

Attachments

·
Registered
503 Posts
Those white-box Winchesters will be easy candy for that 1911. I expect you'll be very happy with how it shoots. The white paint is a simple improvement too. Especially for we whose eyes aren't as sharp as they used to be.

Those Savage over/under combos were indeed Model 24's. I never did own one but admired many. I wonder now - do you happen to know what caliber/gauge combo that one you saw was?

Renster

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
No I dont, and I called there earlier when I saw your post on my phone but got no answer and figure they were closed on Sundays. But I didnt wanna mess with it, it was a fancy thing and musta been either a custom job or something because it didnt look like a gun you'd wanna drag out into the woods but he said it was a 1955 model .
It had a case colored reciever or color case hardened whatever they call it , the oily look, and it had a pristine pistol grip stock that had about a inch-thick shine on it. Beautiful gun but just odd looking to me. He had a price of $ 850 on it, it looked like a 20 ga. / .22 cal on top like .223 or.22 hornet or prolly the .22 cal Savage had that I forgot what it was, they ha a few of their own cals. back in the day as best I remember.
Savage is making a combo rifle now, it looks like a nice little rifle and the stock is all synthetic but I'd like to have one.
I regret selling or trading my Springfield Scout that was a .410/.22 L.R. mainly because it was .22 l.r. and I wanted a 22 magnum but I still regret it because it was made by C.Z. for Springfield and anything made by C.Z. is well made.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I called that place today about that Savage 24 ( Milton Gun & Pawn , Milton, W.V. ) just for the heck of it and it was exactly what I figured it was for that gun and it is a .222 over 20 Ga., When I was getting in my truck I was thinking it was prolly a .222 or a .22 Hornet.
I love the .22 Hornet, I used to have one on a falling block rifle from Sears & Robuck (sp?) but who knows who made it prolly Remington but back then we didnt really care, actually it coulda been a Savage Stevens as well.
Its a long-taper center fire .22, not a bottle neck but a long taper and they were a fantastic cartridge and for those that dont know about them ( I know most of you do ) they shot a projectile simular to a .22 mag or L.R. meaning not like a .223 or 25-06 or even .222 spitzer type round. I forgot the popular grain because it was long ago but if I was to guess Id think of a 65 to 80 gr. but I could be way off on that mostly because we didnt pay much attention to detail when we were kids and if someone were to mention "what grain do you want?" we would say "H311 I dont care just get me some its time to slay some beer cans"! lol.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Decades ago, for half a dozen years or so I cruised the meadows of a number of farms with a single shot New England Firearms Varmint model heavy barrelled Hornet. It had a high comb laminated stock, was topped with a high power variable and I had a Harris bi-pod attached to it that clipped on and off the front sling swivel. I used Remington 45 grain jacketed pointed soft points. Any chuck, porcupine, or coyote withing 200 yards or so of me and that rifle was Toast! I traded it for God knows what, and I miss it very much. Can't lay your hands on one of those beauties for love or money these days! (Nor the ammo for that matter)

Renster

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Man that sounds great! 45 grs. huh? Man I got .22 mag that heavy, or 40 anyway, That was/is a traveling rd. for sure eh?
I did the same thing but back in those days I wouldnt get on here and say what I prolly traded it for but I loved that hornet and because of it could be why the .22 mag. is is one of my fave rounds.
Ive even got that 30 rd. .22 mag handgun in above pic a few replies ago.
As for the NEF's they are great stout rifles and I have one now in .45-70 "gummitt" with a pretty thick barrell. Bought that thing new for $200, I always wanted a 45-70 but couldnt afford the Shilo Sharps or the Marlins back then so I bought it and I wouldnt trade it for a farm in Georgia.
Ive heard that one I have is hard to get anymore ( but you hear anything ) because its got black synthetic stocks, I dont hunt but have nothing again it but I just dont do it myself but I let my buddies use the NEF to hunt Deer with and give me some of the meat and the scraps to because we would make dog food for our wolf hybrid and would litterally get a leg or two with hoof, hide and all on it lol !
But IMHO I think thats the prefect deer round for round here anyway because its hard to get over a 100 yd. shot in the woods in the first place and its big and slow and knocks them down like getting hit with a brick goin 500 mph.. as opposed to hitting one with a 7 mag and it exploding inside of them with the cavity expansion ( or whatever thats called) but as I said I dont hunt so its just me thinking but from what my buddies tell me who use it I must be on track.
Happy trails !
Oh and P.S., I see you joined on March 15 th. 2009, well I turned 49 on that day!

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Ammo is around but having the money to get it is another thing but its around here.
Picked up a few more carry rds. yesterday. JHP's does a body good......well depending lol.
And another mag for the 19, out buying stuff to play with when waiting for hernia surgery but about fell down when he said at gun shop "that'll be 3 hundred and thirty dollars". Good God Man!
Theres the next bear hunter, he's already liking the taste of them it looks like

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Not to change the subject to much but didnt wanna start a new one for one knife but I got one of those Glock knives, always wanted one but usually spent all the money I had on me when checking out and had to leave the G-Knife there but considering I have 300 knives prolly I didnt loose much sleep over it.
Anyhow I like them or it, the whole spine of it is a nice serrated saw tooth and it feels great and balanced and all that plus has a nice hard poly-whatever sheath.
It was $34 I think or within change of that but Im real satisfied with it. Pretty cool knife for the pack.

Attachments

·
Registered
503 Posts
Nasty Gerrard, just nasty...

Now don't go gettin' all Rambo with that there ...
Libel to hurt yerself... :p

I've got 1 or 2 blades myself.
Used to teach edged weapon defense (as in-how to avoid getting cut or stabbed) in another time... (y)

Renster

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I''ll probably just give it to my son for his birthday coming up soon, he's like me the only gift you give him is either a gun or an edged weapon and he collects em all like hawks,axes, swords you name it, if its got an edge we love them.
I dont know why I keep buying the stuff but Ive been doing it my whole life and will never stop I guess.
I'll buy a knife anywhere I see one and play w/it for awhile and into the drawer it goes and before long the drawer turns into a full chest of drawers then a trunk that cant be moved unless its unloaded lol.
Right before he went to Iraq he bought a knife from Shiva Ki , knifemaker extrordanaire ( sp?) and knock out king.
It was the "Mercenary Model" @ $1,200 but normally $2,500 but Shiva has a soft spot in his heart for infantry guys because he was one. But he sold it after he got home for $1,500 real fast on Gun Broker, Look him up on the net..Shiva Ki Knife Maker. I think Mark said he died awhile back but I could be mistaken. He made his own sheaths to and if any of his knives needed sharpening just send it to him and he will do it free of charge, he works the edge down to where he uses baby powder on it to finish it.
I was on-line the other night trying to find a cold steel Karambit ( I think thats what they are called) a curved fighting folder. I have a cheap one and I have this other type to but forgot what its called but its a cutter for sure.
Let me take a pic & post it.
They are just cheapie's I carry to work but the bottom one is pretty nice and thick as a brick to. M-Teks are pretty decent for cheapies just to use. But the bottom one is just as good as any spyderco I got, steel aint as good but its just the usual 440 but theres 2 kinds of 440 and ones better than the other.
Man I can rattle on. Sorry but I love the stuff and always have.
Ive got pics of a bunch of knives on this forum somewhere. I love my Kyber knife a lot to.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Hows this gift I got a cpl days ago, a Benelli M-4 12 Ga. Auto
I'll prolly give it back as I already have 3 12's that just collect dust as it is.
Its a early Bday present but our B-days are a week apart so Im gonna wrap it up and say "I got a good one for ya" and take off B4 it has a chance to get opened, hand it to his ole lady and bail lol!
Its nice tho for sure.
Dang phone cam, was hoping it would be a better pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
503 Posts
I already have a pair of slabs picked out from Altamont, thanks for the heads-up on them.
Dont buy grips for the guns Ive been getting for a long time now, Ive got a .22/.22 mag single action wheelie but Ive never thot about changing grips on it cause it would be almost what the gun cost.

Hey Gerrard...

I'm still on yer RIA 45 ride! (Being a long-time .45acp fan plus, a life-long most bang fer yer buck fan as well ;))

Did you ever get those Altamont grips that you picked out...?

Not much new in the precious metals department here. Snagged some ammo last month though.

Been standing sentinel for terrorizing coyotes down our long trail out back here early morns' just before sunrise.
I think they they can smell 'ol Renster's 20-bore and #3 buck. They won't come all the way up the hill in range.
They's a-scared... and they should be...;)

Renster

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Hey Gerrard...

I'm still on yer RIA 45 ride! (Being a long-time .45acp fan plus, a life-long most bang fer yer buck fan as well ;))

Did you ever get those Altamont grips that you picked out...?

Not much new in the precious metals department here. Snagged some ammo last month though.

Been standing sentinel for terrorizing coyotes down our long trail out back here early morns' just before sunrise.
I think they they can smell 'ol Renster's 20-bore and #3 buck. They won't come all the way up the hill in range.
They's a-scared... and they should be...;)

Renster
No they e mailed me and said they was goin slow at the factory/company because of the pandemic and said they could take 9-12 weeks because they had to be made and I said " I can wait, no prob". That was a few weeks ago, they will be here some day plus they was real nice to because pay pal screwed up and doubled my order because I ordered new screws to and they asked me if I meant to double the order or was it a mistake and I told them yes it was a mistake and thanks for catching it and they said no prob.
Nice bunch of people.

·
Registered
503 Posts
No they e mailed me and said they was goin slow at the factory/company because of the pandemic and said they could take 9-12 weeks because they had to be made and I said " I can wait, no prob". That was a few weeks ago, they will be here some day plus they was real nice to because pay pal screwed up and doubled my order because I ordered new screws to and they asked me if I meant to double the order or was it a mistake and I told them yes it was a mistake and thanks for catching it and they said no prob.
Nice bunch of people.
Love those folks.
Just like "good people" everywhere they get it when things don't quite fit right.
They've been like that with me - about grips and screws as well.

Renster: "Naw - that's not what I was lookin' to do. I was lookin' to do this here ... see my pics? Do you know what I mean?"
Them: "Aw... yeah. Wow. Nice Ruger. You hunt deer with it ?! OK, well... let's see... so, these here grips are grippy and will fit your Bisley perfect. Just let us know if you like them. Send pictures when you get them on. If they don't feel just the way you want, send them back and we'll keep trying."(I was trying to replace the smooth slippery laminate Ruger stock grips that I had used for a number of years with something that would give me better hand purchase for bad weather and the heavy recoil of the Speer 270 jacketed flat points that I use.)

I liked them, and have kept them on since... ;)

20180311_134930.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Thats a nice Ruger, and the Bisley model is a cool one to. I wish I had a Ruger revolver because they are built to last a few lifetimes.
Ive always wanted a Scholfield (sp?) type revolver, or better yet one that has the little extra finger rest on the trigger guard like the .44 Russian but a body'd have to get one from Cimmaron or one of those Italian companies that make em but I forgot their names.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I just like posting pics, I tried to get out of my gun habit/hobby a bit because when you live in the middle of town now due to reasons beyond my control the last 6 or 7 Ive bought have never had a round fired outta them, so I tried messin w/old Gravelys for a change of pace and Ive spent a grip on that to mainly because I set out to get my son a nice old one but in the winter Im back on the guns and the thing is I dont need either of any of them cause I live in town!
Then my health took a dump, man things are screwed up and if I dont stay off this idiot box at night buying crap Im not gonna have two nickles to rub together cause I aint worked in goin on 4 weeks! lol.
Oh well sorry yall had to hear that lol!!!
Anyhow heres some stuff....
Thats my .44 mag. lever " hand gun" ( thats what its sold as because of the 12" barrell , anything under 16" ya know...)
Got me a + 2 mag extension for baby Glock ( G 42 -.380 ) w/a hella IWB holster, my go-to 12 Ga. 8+ 1 Maverick 88 packed w/.000 buck and bandalero and last but not least my yes it is......a Hi-Point carbine in 9mm. the most popular carbine out there and possibly the best to, and they aint easy to find either anymore but having said that I wouldnt give a dime for one of their handguns as I have litteraly seen them come apart while being fired but I had a cpl of the carbines when I lived out in the stix 20 sum yrs. ago and loved them then. My son and I would grab us each one and go out walking in the woods with them plinking around for hrs and we never had a problem w/any of them back when he was prolly 13 or so. Man those days were fun. Oh its got that 20 rd. mag I got for it to. I have hi cap mags for everything because I hate to load them anymore and my fingers cant take it anymore, not because I wanna be the G-Dog of the trailor park lol!

Attachments

21 - 40 of 40 Posts