My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
As I have said on here and in conversation w/people for the last decade or so I dont buy expensive guns anymore...or at least I know enuf to not have to " most of the time" anymore.
After 45 or so yrs. of eating, sleeping, breathing guns as I went to sleep thinking about them and was my first thought as I awakened I have learned that you dont have to spend a grip "all of the time" ( please note the quoted texts ) to get a very decent gun.
Anyhow I just put in layaway a nice Mil-Spec Rock Island/ Armscore (sp?) 1911 for $429 / $455 after tax and Im gonna love it.
From shooting my buddies from work his shoots great and they come with a 8 rd. mag., has bevelled mag well, opened-up extraction port.
Only draw back is it needs a dab of white or whatever paint marker on front sight esp. for night shooting ( that I carry a white one for work and use everyday on windshields so Im there ) and non adj sights that I dont have to have anyway. If the sights are "on" they are ' on' and I'll compensate for the rest of the work.
But its a decent gun for a real decent price and I already know Im gonna love it because nothing feels better in the hand than a single stack 1911 .45 IMHO Like Jeff Cooper used to say " if you cant take care of the problem with 7 or 8 rds. of .45 you probably cant take care of it no matter what you have".
I say that and/or "if you cant "" "" "" "" you had better turn around and go back to where you came from" lol. And a extra mag wont hurt either.
I had a EAA Witness 1911 'style' .45 but when I said 'style' I meand it was all 1911-ish but it had a double stacker mag and it just didnt feel the same at all, it was a good gun but I have small hands and I really like a single stack feel.
Wish me luck lol! Im just as exited as a kid in a candy store, Man I havent bought a gun in prolly 4 or 5 months!
Getting bored as heck in these winter months.

Super Moderator

Registered
I have a 5鈥 RI Tactical.45 and a 3.5鈥 9mm Tactical. I like them just as much as my Kimber. Maybe more since I鈥檓 not afraid of scratching them or something. They both shoot well and don鈥檛 care what you feed them. They are both more accurate than I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #4
Merry Christmas Gerrard... sounds like a nice one.

Instead of white paint try this:

馃嵒
Thanks KR I'll look into it, it would be better.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 5鈥 RI Tactical.45 and a 3.5鈥 9mm Tactical. I like them just as much as my Kimber. Maybe more since I鈥檓 not afraid of scratching them or something. They both shoot well and don鈥檛 care what you feed them. They are both more accurate than I am.

I like that about them to, some good wear gives them some character

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited by Moderator)

They've been making guns since before WWll.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #7
As I have said on here and in conversation w/people for the last decade or so I dont buy expensive guns anymore...or at least I know enuf to not have to " most of the time" anymore.
After 45 or so yrs. of eating, sleeping, breathing guns as I went to sleep thinking about them and was my first thought as I awakened I have learned that you dont have to spend a grip "all of the time" ( please note the quoted texts ) to get a very decent gun.
Anyhow I just put in layaway a nice Mil-Spec Rock Island/ Armscore (sp?) 1911 for $429 / $455 after tax and Im gonna love it.
From shooting my buddies from work his shoots great and they come with a 8 rd. mag., has bevelled mag well, opened-up extraction port.
Only draw back is it needs a dab of white or whatever paint marker on front sight esp. for night shooting ( that I carry a white one for work and use everyday on windshields so Im there ) and non adj sights that I dont have to have anyway. If the sights are "on" they are ' on' and I'll compensate for the rest of the work.
But its a decent gun for a real decent price and I already know Im gonna love it because nothing feels better in the hand than a single stack 1911 .45 IMHO Like Jeff Cooper used to say " if you cant take care of the problem with 7 or 8 rds. of .45 you probably cant take care of it no matter what you have".
I say that and/or "if you cant "" "" "" "" you had better turn around and go back to where you came from" lol. And a extra mag wont hurt either.
I had a EAA Witness 1911 'style' .45 but when I said 'style' I meand it was all 1911-ish but it had a double stacker mag and it just didnt feel the same at all, it was a good gun but I have small hands and I really like a single stack feel.
Wish me luck lol! Im just as exited as a kid in a candy store, Man I havent bought a gun in prolly 4 or 5 months!
Getting bored as heck in these winter months.
To everyone here.. I used some questionable phrases when typing this thread/post yesterday that arent suitable in todays everchanging world and wish to apologize to anyone I may have offended with any slang terminology.
It wasnt easy but it took me a long time to get this dumb. lol.

Registered
Very practical choice Gerrard.

I've owned 1911's from Colt and Kahr Arms in the past, both Commander and Officer style in both - and liked all very much.
But, many guns have come and gone over the years and all of those 45's have long since gone.
However, 4 or 5 years ago I again got a hankerin' for a .45 and started looking.
I couldn't believe the prices!

Then, a particular online gun dealer I'm fond of began carrying a number of relatively affordable long guns and handguns from Turkish manufacturers. I became interested in a couple of the shotguns and also - one handgun model in particular - The Tisas .45's. I studied on them quite a bit, and then stewed on which one to buy for nearly a year.

I'm not a competition shooter, and when it comes to .45 auto I agree with 'ol Colonel Jeff - you point .45's at bad actors, whether 2 legged or 4 and simply put them down... that's all.
In the end, the choice was clear; and I decided on the bare-bones G.I. model of course.
I ordered 2 extra Mec-Gar magazines (the pistol came with 2) and some clip-on holders, and with the exception of replacing the stock smooth grip panels (which were too thick for me) with checkered rosewood slim fits from Altamont, I've left it alone.

20180311_134614.jpg 20180311_135338.jpg

It shoots point of aim under about 25 long paces with all flavors of 230 FMJ, and a little bit high with 185 HP's,
I expected at least a little bit of break-in but, NO malfunctions with Anything even when brand new!
And, the finish is very durable and withstands wear as well as any Colt; as you can see from the pics.
It's practicality, dependability, simple ergonomics and great looks have earned this .45 a permanent spot in the family!
I'm all about "Buy American" with most things but, I'm also a practical man like you.

I applaud your choice with RIA and think that you will be very happy with it.
Keep us posted... (y)

Renster

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds great Renster and thanks for all that info. When our Military buys American again I might to.
Heck even John Browning left this country for Belgium to build guns because he was spending so much time here in courtrooms defending his patents he had no time to do what he loved wich of course was designing and building guns!
Im gonna replace the smooth grips also first thing and have already checked on a some and I do wish they came with more than one mag to but I guess they felt it would cut into the profit a little to much.
One thing Im really happy about is I read they ( Rock Island / Armscor ) one Im getting is made as a series 70 and thats real good. I got my son a Colt 1911 series 70 in Stainless when he was in Iraq and it was $1,200 way over a decade ago. Then he takes it up to Parkersburg to his buddy Novak of Novak sights fame and dumped another $2,500 in it! Novak pretty much drug it thru the garden and one thing it is now is black S.S.!
I paid $50 on it today so my new balance is just $ 300 after less than a week, Im getting it at Rural King mainly because where I work is right beside the place and I always go back there and strobe on the guns and liked it and the price was right so I put it on layaway.
Well Im noddin off like crazy and just typed about 5000 " W s " and had to go back and erase them lol!
I shoot some pics when its in my posession.
Happy Trails....

Registered
Got it yet...?
Inquiring minds are curious (Hey, you started this.... ;))

Renster

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #14
Naw man not yet but hopefully in about 10 hrs. from now. Money has been tight.
But I put 100 down, then 50 a cpl times and last time I think it was 54 so I'd owe a clean 200 wich I hope to get today w/pay check.
Things didnt quite work out as planned ( imagine that? ) and was planning on some stimulas $ but they are mixing it up w/taxes this year or something and been operating on strictly cash lately. Well we all know the chedder probs that happen but I plan to get it out tomorrow morning wich is actually today but its not today till I go to bed and wake up ya know lol.
I get a pic out when I do. Guess I'll have my buddy that reloads make me some wax rounds to shoot out of it because I havent been ammo shopping for awhile cause I have plenty for all my others but aint had a .45 in awhile other than my .45-70 Gummitt and I dont think that will work lol!
But the R.K. Im getting this from has nothing but12 & 20 Ga. ammo in the place and they are usually loaded up pretty good.
I work right next door to one of them ( Rural King ) and are there a cpl days a week tossing the buck a roos. I'll be in touch soon ......I sure hope lol.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #15
I got it , but I was wondering if I ever was gonna, today at least.
I was gonna get it on my way to work since I work right next door to the place but they had one guy working there and prolly 10 customers standing there and they kept coming in and about four had walked off already so I asked " when do you close ? " he replied " 9:00 " then I said I'd be back after work.
Well did that but he messed up the form and put my liscense # some place something else was supposed to go ( and his boss was standing right there, I felt sorry for the guy because Im not hard to get along with ) so he was saying he was sorry but we had to do it all over again and I was saying dont worry about it cause your'e busy and bla bla bla and man my feet was killing me where Id worked all day on a concrete floor but I knew it would be over soon lol!
Hope these pics come up. They are upside down because all I got was shadow the other way unless I can fix it.

Attachments

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #16
I gotta find a cpl more mags because it only came with one, I think its the only handgun Ive ever bought that had just one magazine.
Im not crazy about the smooth grips or actually the boring look so heres a few Im gonna get. I'll prolly get two sets.
My son likes the faux Mamoth tusk

Attachments

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #17
Replying to myself again.
Anyhow Im fair-weather outside guy and there is nothing to do in the winter other than go to work and get home and watch TV while cramming food in my mouth so I play with my guns like a child with their toys.
We havent had much as far as snow goes but its been wet and cold for a few months now, my yard hasnt been dry since fall, or what little there is of that wich is two weeks or so.
It goes from summer straight to winter round here and my "shop" if you will is a car port so it just dont cut it in the winter and cost to much to wall it up with metal roofing like they do.
So heres what I did with my $200 Maverick 88 12 Ga.
It holds 8 rds with no box mag to get in the way just for 2 more rds.

Attachments

Registered
That 1911 looks almost identical to what my Tisas G.I. model came as Gerrard. They are very similar pistols. Mine fortunately came with two Mec-Gar 8 round mags, and I later acquired three 8 round Pro-Mags. Some love 'em - some hate 'em. I've had no malfunctions with any of the mags in my Tisas. As you know, I too swapped out the the thick smooth birch grips for Altamont Slim Fits in rosewood, but have left the pistol pretty much stock.

Your Maverick mods are very practical. And, like 'ol Col. Jeff used to say about the .45 - if you can't stop a threat with 8 rounds of 12 gauge, you probably ought to be running. ;)

I'm very sorry that you don't have ammo. Very difficult to get .45 these days. But, I'm sure a savvy fella like you will score some somewhere. (I keep my eye on Bud's Guns.com. Actually scored some Blazer 9mm 115 grain fmj recently)

Carry on Gerrard 馃嚭馃嚫 馃嚭馃嚫 馃嚭馃嚫

Renster

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #19
Sounds great! Yea I'll get some alright but the .45 cleaned me out $ wise. My son has a bunch and we'll go clean er out soon.
I always blast anywhere tween 150 to 300 rds. thru one before I feel comfortable with it ( after running swab thru barrel to remove machine shop debris ) but I never seen one that needs the daylights shot out of it like this one feels and like most mil-spec " stuff " you wind up using the butt of your'e hand a lot for awhile. Handguns and rifles as well, mostly rifles prolly.
When I get that stimulas money ( supposedly ) or my tax refund I'll get some fodder alright and maybe split a case w/my son.
He gets a lot of it on the net but if I can keep my name out of it I feel better, but he's a Jr. so it dont really matter actually lol!
P.S. I wonder if Wilson mags will be good, I know ppl that use them a lot.
Well Happy Trails and keep the powder dry...
In parting here's a cpl pix of my L.H. STAG

Attachments

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #20
Well I took the newbie up to my sons so he can take it apart and get grease and machine shop grit n grime off of it and it sure feels better.
I gotta get a refresher course on taking that thing down and reassembling it because as I remember its an art to take those down, not like the 3 piece striker fired Glocks and Glock copies, no such luck lol.
He was raggin me about how fat the grips were so he dug up a old pair or I guess its not really a pair but wrap around Pachmeyers (sp?) till I get some more plus a box of Winchester white box fodder till I get some cheese and buy a bunch of it.
Later guys.
PS Ive heard the 1911 knife's grips will work on them lol! Who knows?
I dont know wich was harder getting the wood ones off or putting the wrap arounds on. Man I really had to get that lined up.
If anyone notices they are like 15 yrs. old and dont have the Medallion on them.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts