My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at Craigs list in NJ I see a nice (Pictures) Ingersoll 4118 for sale at less than $1000. Has 18 HP Onan and under 900 hours. Hydraulics mentioned even as relates to deck, for height? Must have belts to a PTO. Has hydrostatic (whatever) transmission, and assume is Garden Tractor grade.

Looking for some insights, pluses and minuses.
Part, available and cost come to mind
When were they manufactured? Post mentions selling for $6,000 new, suggesting it may be the original purchaser
Unique/important maintenance other than gas, oil, filters.
Mowing quality...
Anything else.
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
29,590 Posts
Found this on a quick site search (I recommend you do one as well) but not sure member is still active:

TN-GTO
Registered

Joined May 28, 2006
33 Posts
#5 Dec 29, 2006
I bought a 1992 4118 All-Hydraulic with PS back in November and LOVE it!
Paid $1975.00 with 750hrs., 3-point hitch, and a cool auto-dump bucket made by Westendorf.

The Onan Performer engines are awesome too. Had read a few posts that Onan parts were hard to come by, but I just went down to the Cummins truck place with my shopping list. In stock, and CHEAPER than the on-line Onan parts vendors.

The PS setup is a TRUE power steeering, not like the "power-assisted" on some other machines.

See "I'm a Pappy" post for a pic.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The mow deck is belt drive, but other accessories are hydraulic drive. Tranny is hydraulic drive not hydrostatic and is not known to failure. The Onan engine is desirable. Hand controls for travel and hydraulic lift are rugged, well placed and easier to use than foot pedals IMO. 2 speed rear axle is a bonus for transport or higher speed snow plowing. The tall rear tires are great for smoothing bumpy work areas and with chains give exellent traction in deep snow. Maintenance and repair parts would be mostly related to the engine and those you can get locally. I ran 2 used Case/Ingersoll machines over a 36 year period and nothing broke. I wish my present X580 had a real hydraulic lift cylinder like the Ingersoll, capable of meeting the demands of a 54 " snow plow.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Too late, the mower sold, at least it was removed from Craigslist by owner. I was going to call today but got going on other things. I was a bit uncomfortable with the Ingersoll may be too heavy duty for my use and expensive to repair as I don't know anything about hydraulics. I have been running and wearing our lesser machines over the past 30 years and have done all repairs myself, from oil change to head gasket replacement and carburetor work. Not sure I'd be able to handle the Ingersoll, but admit it looked very attractive. I may return to shopping for one of the Cub Cadet models such as GT 2554 (one available at $1100) and a SLTX1054. I suspect the GT may be another example of too heavy for me. Pulled the deck again today on a Sears Yard Tractor 46" and replaced the belt, greased and light sharpening. It was not difficult but anything with a deck 20 pounds or more over the YT would lnot be comfortable for to handle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts