My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Still plays with tractors
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An early reminder for next year so that money can be saved and time can be accounted for. In Portersville Pennsylvania, the Portersville Steam Show is going to feature Economy/Power King at all three of its shows. Shows are in May, August and October. The only one out of the three that's worth travelling andy distance is the August show. The dates for that show are August 4, 5, 6 & 7, 2011. This isn't a BIG show but it is a nice show. They have crafters, flea market, civil war re-enacters and the grounds are very shaded in the display areas. There are other things to do in the area so this could combine with a small family get away. We want to see as many PKs there as we can get. Now, listen, it doesn't matter if they are workers or trailer queens, we want to see them all. mine are workers and they don't even get washed off to go up. People have to know that they work too. In the area of the show we have Moraine State Park with Lake Arthur, McConnels Mill with miles of hiking in the most beautiful settings along the Slippery Rock Creek, complete with an old grist mill that you can tour and a covered bridge. The Grove City Outlets are also about 15 minutes up I79 north. You can fine Portersville easily on the map. Find Pittsburgh and folloe I79 north until you see Portersville. It's very easy to get to. I also plan to have a list of Motels and camp grounds posted for anyone interested in coming. The Power King group has been meeting there for 8 or 9 years now and we always have a great time. Parts fly, deals are made, stories are told and information flows freely. It's a great place to meet some die hard PK people and pick their brains a little. Chances are you will have a visual aid for anything you may want to talk about. One lady brought her husbands old tiller steer PK. She pushed it off the truck because it hadn't run in years, but she drove it back up on the truck to go home.

Portersville does not only a show plaque, but a pin for the spring and fall shows. As a result, they use two different pictures. I am collecting photos to be forwarded on for consideration. If you would like the chance to have your tractor on the official show plaque or pin, please forward your best pic to me at [email protected] (I will only accept them at that address) and I'll put it in for consideration. If you have any questions, feel free to email me and I'll do my best to answer them. I am not a member of this association. Below is a link to the show. Once this year's October show is done, it's supposed to change to a PK theme. They don't do the best job of keeping up with the site but you'll get the idea of what the show is like. Hope to see you all (and meet you all) there next year!

http://portersvillesteamshow.homestead.com/

·
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Be glad to, however, 1. I don't know where it is and 2. If I don't know where it is, are you sure anyone uses it? I ask because I was a group owner on Yahoo for a few years and I would add stuff to the group calender but nobody ever looked at it. I don't have a lot of time to look but my initial visual turned up nothing. I followed your link to it but, if a person doesn't have the link, how do they find it?

·
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found it under quick links. It's not ready for 2011 yet so it'll have to wait. I wonder just how much that calender gets used being in that pull down menu and not out where people can see it.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I plan on bringing Elvis and my little Wheel Horsie as long as my local Steam Assoc. doesn't pull a fast one and change the dates of our show. Ours is usually the 2nd week in August. I can leave Portersville and come back to Canandaigua and just unload on our site. Getting time off is no problem. Just need to have a trailer available and make sure the family isn't 'tractor showed' to death. What's the "best" days to be there as far on things going on at the show,ect.?

·
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's the "best" days to be there as far on things going on at the show,ect.?
Friday and Saturday are the two busiest days.

·
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Friday and Saturday are the two busiest days.
There is a pull on Saturday night of the show that is a can't miss. It's the King of the Mountain pull and, supposedly, it's the only pull of its kind in the country. I don't know how accurate that is but it sure is a good pull. I think they have some pictures of past pulls on their website. Check out how much weight they put on the tractors. The pull usually ends somewhere handy to 11:00 PM.

They did one a couple of years ago for garden tractors and a 12hp PK won pulling 2700 pounds on a dead sled. Two other PKs took 2nd and 3rd.

·
Registered
645 Posts
My neighbor had a large crate full of junk he wanted to get rid of. He tried pulling it to the road with his 16 HP gravely rear engine tractor. All he did was spin and pop wheelies. I hooked Elvis to it and at idle and in first gear, I walked that crate out to the road with out breaking a sweat. I think a PK in a garden tractor pull is kind of unfair. Maybe against Farmall Cubs and such would be better. At our show, the crappiest looking Allis-Chalmers usually end up winning.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts