My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Proud Member of the 1K Club
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as many of you know we carry many brands of parts and many tires from carlisle and some kenda tires as well i hear the talk about super lugs and all them other type of tires that carlisle carries are very popular here at MTF i been thinking strongly if i get the mtf members to buy tires from us we will match if we can anyone elses price out there if we can on certain tires we want the business when it comes to tire sales and not to mention those that live in a area that no small engine shop is located for miles and miles those are the customers that do shopping online etc.
we strive to get these customers to like our service

cause we want to serve folks our best service and help everyone out in there parts needs we desire some mtf members to consider us for small engine parts that are hard to find elsewhere and tires we know there are numerous tire stores nationwide the way i look at it is

do they support my tractor forum .com thats how i view these things and we have the gator blades for all the mowers you can find the gator blades on the parts lookup site under the oregon parts lookup pages
so
for Homelite Customers we carry the synthetic exact mix 50:1 ratio oil blend that the homelite website considers folks to use on all the equipment we have these by the case of 24 so that is why we sale it at a low price MTF customers can get a store wide discount if they would register a account on our store . but in order to receive the discount
they need to register

we can certainly use some orders next week the week of thanksgiving we will be working non stop on our store adding new items and soon to be adding new items under the briggs category some antique trucks etc. will be there for purchase for Christmas gifts etc. along with ryobi hand tools reconditioned units will be on there pressure washers generators will be on there next week
appreciate you all alot here i do have 1 mtf member getting some parts from us not to mention about two more but i hope others consider us soon ..

if you would like to post a reply to this post feel free to do so

calvin

·
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Happy Thanksgiving From us here at CM Small Engines
Hope everyone has a safe thanksgiving and remember our military overseas during this holiday season
thanks
calvin

·
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we have gave shipping a big big big thought

usps first class parcel is normally 1.50 - 3.00 in cost depend on weight etc.

on small items such as air filters , bolts , nuts , screws , washers , and the small items that weigh less than 1 lb can be shipping usps first class parcel for under $ 3.00 our normal shipping on our store is $ 7.00 - 9.00 - or higher depending on weight here is what i am going to do to help boost sales

MTF Super Saver Shipping this will be the promo code see the only way we can give MTF members a super saver shipping cost is to apply a discount on there account if they registered on our main store

see i will offer free shipping on certain items of over $ 50.00 it will get Free Shipping just too MTF registered members the guests that visit
if only simple john can somehow make a special thread that can only be viewed by members only and not the guests then we can give a coupon code in that thread for folks to use more than once this
will give a discount on the shipping or flat rate shipping

as all know its time to get the chainsaws running and the snowblowers running so most chainsaws are poulan and homelite we have the ipls for all the Homelite chainsaws we can burn on CD in pdf format
upon request cost for this is $ 12.00 shipped and can be billed thru paypal
we have obsolete poulan parts and mcculloch and echo and homelite and the list keeps going

the things i like to see is the old parts will start being a demand for the echo line we are finding more and more each day that we did not think we had so we will be doing work on picture taking etc. so we can get these parts on the store

and then we need to get the word out about them otherwise they will never sell

so month of December Specials include MTF super saver shipping rate
must contact us to get this applied

thanks

we can send a invoice thru paypal that way we can modify the shipping cost to meet that need all we ask is you tell us which code # on the product is and the description and we can send you a invoice thru paypal

so need small parts ? let us know
thank you and Merry Christmas everyone

calvin

·
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
we have gave shipping a big big big thought

usps first class parcel is normally 1.50 - 3.00 in cost depend on weight etc.

on small items such as air filters , bolts , nuts , screws , washers , and the small items that weigh less than 1 lb can be shipping usps first class parcel for under $ 3.00 our normal shipping on our store is $ 7.00 - 9.00 - or higher depending on weight here is what i am going to do to help boost sales

MTF Super Saver Shipping this will be the promo code see the only way we can give MTF members a super saver shipping cost is to apply a discount on there account if they registered on our main store

see i will offer free shipping on certain items of over $ 50.00 it will get Free Shipping just too MTF registered members the guests that visit
if only simple john can somehow make a special thread that can only be viewed by members only and not the guests then we can give a coupon code in that thread for folks to use more than once this
will give a discount on the shipping or flat rate shipping

as all know its time to get the chainsaws running and the snowblowers running so most chainsaws are poulan and homelite we have the ipls for all the Homelite chainsaws we can burn on CD in pdf format
upon request cost for this is $ 12.00 shipped and can be billed thru paypal
we have obsolete poulan parts and mcculloch and echo and homelite and the list keeps going

the things i like to see is the old parts will start being a demand for the echo line we are finding more and more each day that we did not think we had so we will be doing work on picture taking etc. so we can get these parts on the store

and then we need to get the word out about them otherwise they will never sell

so month of December Specials include MTF super saver shipping rate
must contact us to get this applied

thanks

we can send a invoice thru paypal that way we can modify the shipping cost to meet that need all we ask is you tell us which code # on the product is and the description and we can send you a invoice thru paypal

so need small parts ? let us know
thank you and Merry Christmas everyone

calvin
we have the 10% discount on our store for all MTF members

so anyone that is a mtf member and registers on our store will be placed into a discount section on our back end of the store to where anything you order from us you will receive 10% off of that item if it be a 1.00 item you get it for .90 cents and so on down the line it even works on used parts as well now on the items that are already clearance it wont work on cause the clearance items

are normally reduced to higher than 10 % off

right now we are running 40% off of all our echo parts this is only available to mtf members only so Echoman heres your chance to get some echo parts at cheap prices

the homelite parts are marked down 5% off

keep in mind we sell new generators and new pressure washers and new trimmers etc. what will help us alot is for everyone to pass the word around about us thats the least you can do to help build our traffic to our site so the search engines will start ranking us higher

so let your friends know of us about the echo no longer available parts etc.

thanks
calvin

·
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
sure wish spring was here and sure wish the economy was not bad which it is sure do not know why 12 members only have registered on our store ? out of the 10000

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
Calvin .. I have to agree with Edward .. just because we have 10K members.. does not mean they are all active.

I would bet out of the 10K maybe 10% are active. That leaves 1,000 that see your ad here.

I have bought some stuff from you and would do so again if the need rises.

There are 100s if not 1000s of web-sites selling the same stuff that you are selling.

I do hope your not resting your whole future on your sales through MTF members !! Get the word out to as many lawn and garden, tractor, landscapers web sites as you can.

Crying about your sales slump here is surely not going to help you .. Its going to hurt you if you ask me ... I am sure others will agree to that.

You have been an asset to MTF and I hope you continue to be one.

Don't complain on the board .. just keep letting members know that he can help them with your knowledge, that you can get them parts for lots of different equipment. Post when you have sales .. or specials on items of interest.

I am a small business owner myself and have been so for 10 plus years .. it takes time .. it did for me anyway ..

·
6,348 Posts
Calvin .. I have to agree with Edward .. just because we have 10K members.. does not mean they are all active.

I would bet out of the 10K maybe 10% are active. That leaves 1,000 that see your ad here.

I have bought some stuff from you and would do so again if the need rises.

There are 100s if not 1000s of web-sites selling the same stuff that you are selling.

I do hope your not resting your whole future on your sales through MTF members !! Get the word out to as many lawn and garden, tractor, landscapers web sites as you can.

Crying about your sales slump here is surely not going to help you .. Its going to hurt you if you ask me ... I am sure others will agree to that.

You have been an asset to MTF and I hope you continue to be one.

Don't complain on the board .. just keep letting members know that he can help them with your knowledge, that you can get them parts for lots of different equipment. Post when you have sales .. or specials on items of interest.

I am a small business owner myself and have been so for 10 plus years .. it takes time .. it did for me anyway ..
And I agree with Ken......every word of it.

·
4,221 Posts
How about doing a few how to threads? This way you stay in front of the members and provide information some may need. For example a carb rebuild or spring service steps. Add in a few pictures as you go along. If you have a shop then you are all ready doing the work. Just my two cents. :greendr:

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,569 Posts
How is the local business where you live? Do you have signs in front of the shop? Do you advertise in a news paper or similar? I figured most of the locals would flood you with work.

·
Administrator
21,093 Posts
Calvin--I purchased from you and we had a short talk on the phone. If I was in your area, I'd frequent your establishment. When a $3.00 part is needed not too many people will order it via mail and wait for it to come in plus have shipping as well. They'll hope in the pick-up, load up the dog or kids, and run to the mower shop and get the part, then grab a cheeseburger for the dog and head home.

You said that there is competition down the road from you that seems to get the local business. Well, do what they don't to attract customers. Here's a couple of ideas, as dumb as they might be:

1. I don't remember the last time my mower broke sitting in the shed. I was either using it or getting ready to use it. That meant my grass needed mowed. Get 3 or 4 older used mowers up and running at your shop. Paint them pink with green polka-dots. Next time Mr. Jones or Mrs. Smith comes in with their mower with the piston hanging out of the carburetor, tell them, "Since it's going to be a few days 'til this is ready to pick up, why don't you take one of my loaners home and use it while yours is in the shop. We keep a few of these for situations just like this. And by the way, do you have a string trimmer? I have a few used ones to sell. Take it with you and see if you like it. I think you'll be surprised how handy they are." Their neighbors are going to see a pink mower with green polka dots and they are just going to have to walk over and ask what that's all about. Guess who they are going to think of next time THEIR mower throws a piston out the carb?

2. Do you do any lawn mowing or yard work? Maybe consider hiring a kid from your church youth group or boy scouts for situations similar to the above. When someone calls and needs their mower serviced, offer not only to pick up their equipment, but "We now do a limited amount of mowing for our customers who are getting their machines tuned up." You would not be getting into it to make a living off the mowing, but it will get you talked about, your vehicle will be visible sitting in their drive while Johnny or Betsy is mowing their grass, and the neighbors will see that. Who knows, you might end up with a couple of dozen lawns to do and be able to give Johnny or Betsy a job and grow a little that way as well.

3.Get your name and image in front of as many people locally as possible. Hang up flyers at the grocery store, laundromat, restaurants, etc. On Saturday between 11:00 and 1:00 p.m. fire up the grill and buy $20.00 worth of Oscar Meyer Weenies and anyone that comes in can have a dawg and glass of Mt. Dew. While they are there, have them sign up for the drawing of the Electric Trimming Shears that have been on your shelf since 1928 and not a hope that they'll ever sell, but it's an attention grabber. Call the local radio station and tell them you are having an open house and stop by with their truck, do a remote, tell the folks to come-on-down!

4. Get an eye-catching logo. How about a lizard with an English accent?? I know that is a dumb idea and would never work, but something to make you "different"!

Unless you are totally a mail-order establishment, you are probably going to do the majority of your business thru the front and back door. You need the walk-in traffic. The word "Calvin" or "CM SMALL ENGINE" has to be the first thing that comes to mind when the mower or any other equipment doesn't run. Talk to other businesses. Homeowners are not the only consumers of equipment. Plumbers, Carpenters, city street dept., law enforcement, parks and recreation, all use what you sell and service. Go see them. When you see a guy mixing concrete with a gas powered mixer, stop by and give him a card for the next time it needs service.

It's almost April. The mowers in your area need service, as it's almost time to mow grass. Get your name out there. Make people remember to get their equipment ready for the mowing season!

Good Luck!! Next time I'm down your way I promise to buy a filter, spark plugs, and some oil. Until then, market yourself!!

Brad

·
4,221 Posts
JD dealer sent out a 15% off flyer for a service kit (oil, filter, plugs). It also talked about the service deals as well. :greendr:

·
My kid @ W.H. gift shop:
7,984 Posts
Calvin you have your website set to be found by search engines such as yahoo, google, etc? I have done some searches for parts and your site doesnt come up that I see. Maybe add some tags to the website, it might direct more traffic to you.

And this is just my opinion, if you are relying mainly on internet sales of a product where typically customers by in-person the item they want, do you have a store front; do you have a business acct with the like of Home Depot or Lowes where they will help promote your name (they do that here, anyhow).

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
Great ideas brad!!!!!!!

I can see the flyer now...

" Its spring....... Is your mower ready"

or

"Is your mower ready to "spring" into service?"

or

"Spring out of your seat, and see if your mower is ready"

or

"The grass is coming....Are you ready??"
Paul .. you have missed your calling ... you could be an advertising guru. :biglaugh:

Send some of those jingles to Larry Tate, I bet he would hire you !!

Do you remember Larry Tate ?? He was Darrin's Boss

·
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
as some may not know the US postal service rates are going up as of May 12 2008 first class i am not concerned about but Priority mail which is what our store is set on mainly the rates will be going up about .60 cents to 1.00 on that date so im just letting everyone know this is going to take place on that date

thank you
calvin

1 - 17 of 17 Posts