My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks. I think I screwed up and planted the wrong seed last fall.
I'm in Western Washington State. I have a dark green colored lawn, which I think is perennial rye grass, but maybe Kentucky Blue Grass. Heck, I don't know, I'm a newbee yard dunce.

Anyway, the majority of the lawn grass is dark green. The previous owner had a 30'x30' square area prepped for a kids lawn structure in the middle of the half acre back lawn. I carted off the wood chips, yanked out the border wood, rototilled the soil, brought in new topsoil, then seeded.

I used a combination of Scott's Patch Master and some cheap sale seed from Walmart. I didn't check the seed type content, because it didn't mean anything to me back then. I remember the Walmart grass was in a yellowish/tan bag.

So the seeds sprouted fast and very, very light green. Now it's spring and these blades grow faster than the grass around them and still the light green color. About four mowings later, same thing happening. I've fertilized too.

I did some reading that the seed may be annual rye grass which will die off, leaving the dark grass behind it. There is some darker green grass under the light green grass. Also read that the light colored grass will darken up, but it's been some time now and I'm not seeing that. I don't know if any of this is true.

So I guess my question is, should I retill the area and reseed with the right seed or wait and see what happens? I know it would help to know what type of seed I used, but I simply don't know. :banghead3

Thanks for any thoughts, ideas and even for laughing at me.
This isn't a life or death matter, so I'm laughing at myself too.
Steve

·
Registered
774 Posts
I'm no grass wizard either, but maybe you can just sow sum other seeds (right type) over what's there now. Or as I'd likely do; just tell everbody it's supposed too be that way:thThumbsU

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
sounds like you put down annual ryegrass. that is usually lighter colored than turf type fescues. It will die off in the summer, so I wouldn't worry too much, that patchmaster should have had fescue in it and that will eventually take hold and fill in. You may want to overseed with fescue in the fall to help fill in the gaps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts