My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A great weekend! A good friend from my Air Force days came to visit and brought this late 60s brick. I haven’t decided what to do with it. Powder coat and full restore, or just mechanical restore? Thinking of surprising him and doing a full restore and giving it back to him. He lives in Washington state so it might just give me a good reason to take that retirement drive up someday…soon, I hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,105 Posts
I bet it still hums a long nicely...good luck with it whatever you do...hard decision...do you make use of it?...or turn it into a good looking machine that you will be reluctant to get dirty? :unsure:

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bet it still hums a long nicely...good luck with it whatever you do...hard decision...do you make use of it?...or turn it into a good looking machine that you will be reluctant to get dirty? :unsure:
I’m always inclined to put my mowers to work. I think I have 13 restored LB’s, and all but 2 are workers. I really don’t mind the gentle dirt, grime/patina. These old mowers were made to work.

·
Mr. Bricktop
141 Posts
I’ve never been lucky enough to get a free one Rex. Beautiful machine!! You can’t go wrong whether you put it to work or restore it!!

Reactions: Lawnboy77

·
Registered
270 Posts
Sheesh! I can't even buy one that cool or nice around here. Crappier ones are hundreds! I agree, whatever you do, enjoy it. I like to leave old "anything" original if it's just been used and not abused. Just get it running well and period correct, or if I had the time I'd restore it but use it. They serve the community and the owner much better if used rather than just sitting there? The sound, the smell, and the joy we have using them!.

·
Super Moderator and over 6K Posts!
6,727 Posts
Is there a background story to your friend having the mower such as a family member bought it new and it has been in the family all these years?
That might make a difference whether he would really like it back. Is he a Lawnboy nut like many of us otherwise he might not appreciate having the mower back in either condition. Whatever you decide will be the right choice.
Here are a couple of pictures for inspiration. Bill
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Hood Vehicle

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is there a background story to your friend having the mower such as a family member bought it new and it has been in the family all these years?
That might make a difference whether he would really like it back. Is he a Lawnboy nut like many of us otherwise he might not appreciate having the mower back in either condition. Whatever you decide will be the right choice.
Here are a couple of pictures for inspiration. Bill View attachment 2567622
View attachment 2567623
Looks beautiful Bill! Thanks for posting pics, I’ll be using your pics to try and match colors and accessories as best I can. It looks to be very close to original, minus the blue pull handle, of course that would be the case since I don’t have the blue handle, but plenty of the blue primer bars. I’ll also need to find two rear wheels for it. I’ll probably never find the right ones though. The handle is in outstanding condition, almost like it was stored inside most of it’s life, while the mower was outside. The shroud is pretty rusty, but not pitted or dented.

One question I do have, is there a round data plate tag on the 3054? I was thinking it would have one, but this one doesn’t, nor are there any rivet holes to even mount one. I might be thinking of the 3053?

Now as far my friend wanting it back? He may not, but he has a huge shop/man cave, so I was thinking he might like to display it up on the wall, or put it in the back of his 1960s Ford Ranchero when he takes it to car shows. He had put in the back for one of his car shows and he said he got more questions about the mower than he did about the old Ranchero. Besides I think I passed on the Lawn-Boy bug to him, because now he has a mint 10515 that he loves.

·
6,727 Posts
My 3054 has a model plate and rivets. Check with Scott (lbuser64) to see if he has any wheels. The ASA decal on mine got replaced with a black on clear. My starting instructions are black on clear as well. Bill
Font Gas Circle Emblem Electric blue
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Font Automotive exterior
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Grille Automotive design
Table Automotive tire Wood Gas Composite material

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My 3054 has a model plate and rivets. Check with Scott (lbuser64) to see if he has any wheels. The ASA decal on mine got replaced with a black on clear. My starting instructions are black on clear as well. Bill View attachment 2567637 View attachment 2567638 View attachment 2567640 View attachment 2567643
Those pics are perfect! I’ll check with Scott to see if he has any decent mint green wheels.

I suspect the deck has been repainted long ago due to no evidence of a data plate ever being installed and the ASA decal being nearly perfect. They must of done decent job of repainting though, it sure matches the shroud other than the rust. I have a data plate for it, and the rivets, so no problem. It should be a fun project, no frills economy makes for a fairly quick and easy restore. The weather has cooled down very nicely here so now is the time to jump on it.

·
6,727 Posts
Is there a raised area on the center rear of the deck where the date plate would go. See my picture. Bill

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is there a raised area on the center rear of the deck where the date plate would go. See my picture. Bill
Yes there is a raised, round area on the deck, but absolutely no evidence of holes, or shadows where the data plate would of been installed. I don’t know, maybe the factory just didn’t install that deck data plate on this mower? Here is where we need Baldguy again.

·
6,727 Posts
Maybe it's a replacement deck. Bill

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Page 1 of the 1967 Lawn Boy parts catalog
The 1967 3054 Economy Model "serial number is on the cylinder fin"
And that's here it is on my 3054.

·
6,727 Posts
FYI. Both the 1967 and the 1968 list the same part number for the deck. Not sure why Lawnboy would have cast a raised area in the deck for a model plate and then not installed one unless the replacement decks came with no holes drilled. Bill

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah I think in the 60s, well at least for the majority of the decade, the mowers came with 2 data plates. One for the engine model located on the cylinder fin, and the other one was the mower model data plate on the deck. I think Bill is correct, I suspect the replacement decks back in the day would of been bare bones, no data plate or holes yet, and the tech doing the work was expected to drill the holes and transfer the plate over to the new deck. In the case of mine the data plate didn’t get transferred over. The owner back then probably didn’t care, his mower had a new deck and he was happy just be back in business.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts