My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
No Longer With Us
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a silver/gray 2003 GT5000 (with NO mower deck), the 'bigger' set of rear bolt-on wheel weights, a newer set of tire chains, a brand new rear weight box and a new, unused sprayer mount for the rear complete with the sprayer wiring for $300

the bad:
1. the front tire that was supposedly just 'low from sitting' had a terminal (15 minutes from full to flat) leak that needed a $10 tube from Tractor Supply in Mankato (and WOW+THANKS to Discount Tire next door to them, who took the tire 10 minutes before closing time, and DIDN'T EVEN CHARGE ME TO INSTALL IT! ... the guy just asked that I think of them next time I need tires for my car, which I will be next week - best service attitude ever) ... so even though this was a 'bad' on the GT5000, I ended up finding a great tire place

2. the battery that 'might be ok, but might be shot' ended up being shot - it was a 235amp battery and wal-Mart had 350amp units that are just a little larger, but still fit great for $3 extra ($25 total for the battery)

3. hood has a small dent and the paint is a little faded ... I didn't notice this when I picked it up because it was 10:00pm by the time I got there, but it doesn't really bother me

4. the 'hitch' hole had pulled through at some point in it's 6 year life and was replaced with a very heavy duty piece of steel plate welded over the original ... I'm a perfectionist when it comes to welding (high vacuum welder) and even though he overbuilt and welded this hitch, it's ugly in my eyes

6. had to reroute and wrap some engine wiring that was too close to hot spots for my comfort ... 10 minutes work at most

the good:
1.WOW, this thing runs smooth and quiet! ... starts immediately and will happily idle at low RPM with very low exhaust or engine noise ... I'm really impressed with this B&S twin so far

2.funny amounts of power ... I 'accidentally' pulled a 5 foot long wheelie when I popped the clutch in 6th gear ... it's got HP and good torque

3.cheap (?) and tough utility/garden tractor for my needs, and I may not ever need it for mowing, so I'm on the lookout for a blade, blower and tiller for sure, and pretty much anything else I can put on or under it for a decent price ... for now it's relegated to dump cart/dethatcher/sweeper pulling duty, which shouldn't even be a minor workout for it ... the electric clutch on the PTO works good and is interesting to me as well

so, I have to ask ... did I get a good tractor, and was the price OK? ($335 total into it and nothing else left to fix on it)

what's the difference between this GT tractor and the DYT series? ... they look similar in some ways

will I be able to acquire accessories like a tiller and blower for this easily? (I'm also thinking about a cab for it since they apparently make them for this model) ... are 'ground engaging accessories' going to be OK with this? ... anything special to lookout for as far as trouble spots/repairs, or are these GT5000's decent and reliable?

anyone in Minnesota have any accessories for sale that will work with this?

thanks in advance for any advice and/or comments, this is my first Craftsman tractor ever ... photos will be along shortly

Chris

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Nice bargain machine you've acquired. Should be a tough ol' girl for you. I might have a Craftsman single stage blower for sale, but don't know if it'll fit your application. Check the classified section and PM me if your interested.

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Congratulations on the good find.

·
Registered
28 Posts
2.funny amounts of power ... I 'accidentally' pulled a 5 foot long wheelie when I popped the clutch in 6th gear ... it's got HP and good torque
Funny you mention that. From what the guys on here determined, I have a 2005 DYT 4000 with the 24 HP B&S V-twin. I had similar results with mine also. I'm not sure if I went 5 feet with it, but I was up high. And the 12 and 13 year old were excited by the scene. They said it was a foot off of the ground. Needless to say, I haven't tried 6th gear again.

Btw, nice find.

·
No Longer With Us
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funny you mention that. From what the guys on here determined, I have a 2005 DYT 4000 with the 24 HP B&S V-twin. I had similar results with mine also. I'm not sure if I went 5 feet with it, but I was up high. And the 12 and 13 year old were excited by the scene. They said it was a foot off of the ground. Needless to say, I haven't tried 6th gear again.

Btw, nice find.
well, mine's a 22HP, but probably close as far as wheelie ability goes ... what I didn't mention before was that the 5 footer wasn't my first wheelie :fing20: :sorry1: ... you have to lean back in the seat a little to get the good air time (shhh - that isn't in the manual) ... my wife and kids were also excited and impressed by this, but the excitement kind of wore off for my wife after a couple of them ... I'm taking it easy on the GT now ... no more wheelies in my future (probably)

here are a few pictures from 15 minutes after my original post ... also a photo of my new best friend, a Troy Built Super Bronco tiller (just got it a week ago or so) that's turned a previously unkempt 1/2 acre garden full of super hard dirt into a 16" deep 1/2 acre plot of the finest quality black dirt I've ever seen with relatively minor effort considering the outcome - it's so fluffy that you just sink down about 4" if you walk on it after it's been tilled ... how anyone could have a garden this size without one of these is beyond me ... this Super Bronco is amazing, but riding would still beat pushing, even though it's got a STRONG self propulsion system and 13" AG tires ... and I'd still get plenty of use from this one even if I get a tractor mounted tiller use, so I won't lament owning 2 tillers, I promise

this is our first garden (just moved from a large suburb of MPLS/ST.PAUL and bought a very rural farm outside of a population 1200 town) - admittedly ignorant about farming and gardening, but am a highly motivated and fast learner and am LOVING it so far! ... but with the sheer size of the garden that we have, and especially the larger gardens we'll have next season is why I really want a tractor mounted rear tiller for either this GT5000, my Case 224 or (preferably) my Kubota G5400H diesel ...

I need to enlarge this garden to 3/4 or even 1 acre, and add 2 more of them between 1/2-3/3 acre each in the near future and be able to till faster/easier than it is to do now with this Super Bronco - our rescue rabbits need and love the produce and I can't wait to be in a position to grow all that we need here instead of buying all of it ... as it is, we buy 150pounds of carrots, about 144 heads of romaine lettuce and maybe 40-50pounds of parsley+cilantro per week, and even though we get it wholesale through Cub Foods, the price difference between that and growing it is staggering ... growing it will be an amazing change all around and much healthier too - who really knows what the 'big' produce growers spray on the grocery crops anyways? ... at least here I know it's just dirt, seeds, water, compost/tea and sunshine ... I'll happily pull and remove weeds manually instead of putting any chemicals down

·
Registered
348 Posts
I think you got a good buy, my 05 is basically the same tractor, my sleeve hitch made a good wheelie bar the first time i tried 6th gear, wasn't expecting that.

yes it will handle ground engaging, the trans will take more punishment than you can get traction.

you can find a used sleeve hitch mount tiller for it, not sure how well the sleeve hitch will fit over the modified tow bar.

a few implements are bottom/ moldboard plow, disk harrow, tiller, box blade, rear scrape blade. i'm sure there are more and you can easily build a ripper for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts