My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
was born to pimp tractors
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My aunt has a push mower and I'm working on the engine. She always has start it with starter fluid every time she goes to use it. She also says it's using a lot of oil. so I checked the oil drain plug to see if it was tight and I found that there wasn't an oil drain plug.

Engine numbers
model: 10T502
Type: 0457-B1
Code: 10052654

If anyone has any information about why this is happening in can help me out a little bit I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Sent from the MTF Free App

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
Apologies if this is an incredibly stupid statement, and if this was the first place you looked. But the drain plug may be under the mower deck.

From quickly looking up a diagram of your engine, it looks like that may be the case here. There's an Oil Drain Plug (part 15) listed. It looks like it has a recessed square drive. So it may be hidden by dried grass clippings, etc.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=briggs_and_stratton&mn=10T502-0186-B1&dn=37180003

Drain plug picture:

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/plugoil-drain-p-250210.html

·
Registered
266 Posts
I cant offer up any info on the briggs but I bought a just a cheap power washer at home depot last year with a Honda GCV190 engine. Went to change the oil and could not find a drain plug either. Pulled the manual out and you have to tip it over and pour the oil out of the dip stick hole. :fing20:

First I had ever heard of this. Its just another way to cheapen up the product and save HOnda or who ever 86 cents per unit.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
.....tip it over and pour the oil out of the dip stick hole
Just bought an ECHO wheeled trimmer last year with a B&S, went to change the oil before I layed it up for the winter....where the **** is the drain plug, none.
As was said, you have to tip it over and use the dipstick tube, but wait....you have to make sure there's no gas in it first so you don't get fuel going where it's not supposed to. What a bunch of bs by B&S for the sake of a drain plug.....Mike

·
Registered
266 Posts
Just bought an ECHO wheeled trimmer last year with a B&S, went to change the oil before I layed it up for the winter....where the **** is the drain plug, none.
As was said, you have to tip it over and use the dipstick tube, but wait....you have to make sure there's no gas in it first so you don't get fuel going where it's not supposed to. What a bunch of bs by B&S for the sake of a drain plug.....Mike
Hey, I agree with you but Honda is doing it too on their homeowner line of engines. I am pretty darn careful with what I buy these days and do quite a bit of research and not having a drain plug was the last thing on my mind. I had never heard of it until I went to change the oil. WE live in such a throw away society these days. Heck, I knew the Honda engine would out last the pump a million times over but just needed something to get by with.

Its a shame that we have resorted to cutting these kinds of corners but I am almost to the point that nothing surprises me anymore.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
In 9 years of servicing equipment, I have yet to ever use a drain plug on a push mower engine, I just tip it over, oil filler side down (coincidence that it is always carb side up?) and drain it into a pan. Perfect time to remove and replace or sharpen the blade, and spark plug, tip it back down, and refill with fresh oil...no mess.

As for oil use..id guess she hasnt been oiling her air filter element, and the engine has been sucking dust and dirt all its life...not much can be done, but if the air filter is "dry"...safe bet.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
The 1972 Squire Applegate push mower I have put the drain ( Briggs 3.5hp ) underneath the lower deck ( actual cutting deck ). To change the oil, it takes removing the blade, pulling the bolts out of the deck and setting it aside, then there is access to the crankshaft and oil drains. Personally, I just use a $6 pump to get the oil out..

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,241 Posts
now the next thing....they will stop puttin drain plugs on riders....& tell ya to tip them over.....

·
Ben's Lawn Mower Repair
431 Posts
My aunt has a push mower and I'm working on the engine. She always has start it with starter fluid every time she goes to use it. She also says it's using a lot of oil. so I checked the oil drain plug to see if it was tight and I found that there wasn't an oil drain plug.

Engine numbers
model: 10T502
Type: 0457-B1
Code: 10052654

If anyone has any information about why this is happening in can help me out a little bit I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Sent from the MTF Free App
for those, i just tip them over carb side up.

·
Premium Member
9,850 Posts
I have an older Murray walk-behind mower with a B&S engine that does have a drain plug on the bottom, as described above. There is no good way to remove it and have both me and the ground stay clean, sometimes neither...

Mike

·
Registered
583 Posts
Today I worked on 2 mowers with B&S engines, a 4.5 and a 5.5 hps and both did not have drain plugs. They're both 2009 models. I used a hand pump to suck the oil out. B&S offers a pump you use in a electric drill for $24.95 on thier web site. I bought a $12.00 hand pump at lowes. Worked good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts