My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I was just given a ford 5000 by my father-in-law because he dosent want to spen any moey on it . it has leaking head and a PTO that slips. everthing else is minor so Im here looking for advice.

Brad Tanner
Michigan

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Glad you joined!
:wwp: If you need easy Picture help
Be sure to Register for Your State!

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
And what is the specific nature of your question?

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I've been given a tractor because my father in law is not mechanically inclined at ALL and it need a New PTO clutch in it, the head needs some work (because its blowing by and exhausting gasses out of the oil fill) and the generator dosent work. To me, and for me it not a big deal to fix this tractor myself. but the fist thing Im trying to figure out is what the 2 levers are for on the right foot rest. One show it is a float for the rear arms and the other one is operated with your foot. It is the second one that has be baffled. so if some one could start with what that foot lever is for I would appreciate it.

Brad

·
certified tractor nut
1,424 Posts
its probably a diff lock

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, that makes sense...

now can some one help me witt the Serial number on the tractor?
all of the number that I can find are locate under the hood

They are:

Tractor # C363075
Model # E1924c
Unit # 2l14B
Engine# 2k19B
Trans# 2j13C
Rear Axel# 2K02B
Hyd Pump# 2J20A
Hyd Lift# 2C23A

My question to start is where can I find the info on this tractor...

what year is it ?

Brad

·
Premium Member
8,305 Posts
The Tractor # C363075 is the serial number, which indicates it was assembled in late 1972. The C at the beginning indicates that it was built at the US factory. There were also factories in Basildon, England (B), and Antwerp Belgium (A).

The Model # E1924C tells you exactly what model and options it has. The first digit tells you what series the tractor is, and the E says it is a 5000 series, the next 2 digits tells you what chassis it has, but 19 doesn't show up as a valid chassis type in my charts. If it is a 10 instead of a 19, which is the most common, then it's a general purpose agricultural chassis. The next digit tells you what kind of fuel the engine uses, and a 2 indicates it's a gasoline engine. The next digit tells you what kind of pto it has, and the 4 indicates it's an independent pto. The last digit indicates what transmission it has, and the C indicates that it's an 8 speed tranny.

The Unit # 2l14B is also called the production code and it tells you exactly when it the final assembly was done. The 2 says it was 1972, the L says it was in November, the 14 says it was the 14th day of the month and the B says it was assembled by the day shift. So November 14, 1972 day shift, which agrees with the serial number being from late 1972.

The other numbers are production codes for the various sub assemblies.
Engine# 2k19B - October 19, 1972 day shift.
Trans# 2j13C - September 13, 1972 afternoon shift
Rear Axel# 2K02B - October 2, 1972 day shift
Hyd Pump# 2J20A - September 20, 1972 midnight shict
Hyd Lift# 2C23A - March 23, 1972 midnight shift

I use tractordata to put a year to a serial number.
I use the Oaktree tractor page to decode the other numbers on the 1965 - 1975 Ford tractors.

If you don't already have one, you should probably start out by getting an operators manual, and if you plan to do anything more then fluid and filter changes yourself, a service manual as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks I knew that I can to the right web site!!!

I have the I&T shop manual and have bee searching for a PDF of an operators manual .

I am hopeing that tomorrow I can power wash this tractor to get lots of dirt and grease off of it. and get started with the head that is leaking from a valve (or two)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Welcome Brad :) As you already said, you came to the right Forum! One comment I have is that I believe bad rings can cause blow by too. Again, welcome!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts