My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on the decals. The originals have finally had it. Pictures of right side and with trailer are from fall 2008. Pictures of center and left side are from this last week. Just got new hood decals and doing them next.

My Dad bought this 3416H new in 75, and it's given faithful 4 season service ever since. I was the first to mow with it at age 14. Been here in New Hampshire for 19 years now. Runs as good as ever.

Thanks for looking, Larry

Attachments

·
Banned
1,081 Posts
Looks real nice, good shape. Nice to see one that's well loved. ;) And I always like Sovereigns.

Are those headlights, rear light originals or addons?

I was wondering what you do w winch, and how does it mount?

And also wondering if you oversized the tires? (look wider or something).

:thanku:

:MTF_wel2:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks real nice, good shape. Nice to see one that's well loved. ;) And I always like Sovereigns.

Are those headlights, rear light originals or addons?

I was wondering what you do w winch, and how does it mount?

And also wondering if you oversized the tires? (look wider or something).

:thanku:

:MTF_wel2:
If well loved = well maintained.... then yes. A few years ago I looked at replacement options and discovered... The only thing that can replace an older Sovereign is a newer Sovereign, and I dont like the twins that came after the 700/7000 series.

The lights are aftermarket sealed beams. Bulbs for the originals have been unavailable for a long time now.

I use the winch for winching of course. Small tree's mostly. It's a 1500 # winch made to pull an ATV out of the mud. It might do the same for the tractor but I've NO intention of finding out. Comes in handy though. 1/2" plate bolted to back of tractor. Winch bolted to plate. Replaced hinge bolts with grade 5's. I use a chain much more. If you look close there's a grab hook on the back too.

The original goodyears looked fat, too. You can see the tires are only an inch or so out past the rims. The Titan/Carlisle Multi Trac's are the same size as the originals. I don't know what it is, I've seen 716's a nd 7016's and verified they had that tire size, but they didn't look it.

Attachments

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Great looking tractor. slkpk

·
Banned
1,081 Posts
If well loved = well maintained.... then yes. A few years ago I looked at replacement options and discovered... The only thing that can replace an older Sovereign is a newer Sovereign, and I dont like the twins that came after the 700/7000 series.

The lights are aftermarket sealed beams. Bulbs for the originals have been unavailable for a long time now.

I use the winch for winching of course. Small tree's mostly. It's a 1500 # winch made to pull an ATV out of the mud. It might do the same for the tractor but I've NO intention of finding out. Comes in handy though. 1/2" plate bolted to back of tractor. Winch bolted to plate. Replaced hinge bolts with grade 5's. I use a chain much more. If you look close there's a grab hook on the back too.

The original goodyears looked fat, too. You can see the tires are only an inch or so out past the rims. The Titan/Carlisle Multi Trac's are the same size as the originals. I don't know what it is, I've seen 716's a nd 7016's and verified they had that tire size, but they didn't look it.
Thx for answers to my questions.

The maintenance shows in the overall appearance. Even a rocket scientist could see that this tractor is well cared for.

Yeh, I thought, gee those tires look just a tad bigger, nice image! It might be cos they are newer and have a trace more tread. ;)
I knew a guy who had a Triumph Bonneville bike, and he extended (rake) front forks about 3". It was all he did; and the chopper guys used to give looks to his bike - subtle but effective. .. that's another world.

I thought you must have a backing plate on the winch, thank you for additional pix. If the tractor got stuck, it would not be for long. Talking bikes again, I got mine axle deep once, sucking mud, no go; only way out was to lay bike down in mud, and drag it across the surface - but we used to look for trouble like that! :ROF

Lights - I have this obsession with the old pod lights in the little light boxes on the sides. Early 716's had them, and also had black trim on the lowers. Mid 77 they changed and put the lights in the upper grille right beside the exhaust, which I don't like. It's probably more trouble than it's worth, but I think about swapping hoods for the old look.
I also think about a stack to get the heat of the muffler right out of the hood area. Again, maybe not worth the effort; but I have a hard time justifying these proximity issues with lights and muffler and engine heat and cooling air flow that pushes it all out the front grille. But they all seem similar; even the Sunstars, altho they use a heat shield on the muffler. I wonder if I am messing with engineering - but I can't see a use for that heat, except perhaps in winter cold. And of course, removing exhaust bolts is no picnic either - so I mentally wrestle with these ideas, and wonder if I should test my limited mechanical experience. Maybe eventually.

Thanx again for the tour. :fing32:

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I like new members who have read the unofficial rules...LOL.

Nice machine and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Great looking tractor.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice to have another addict join the group. Larry, you have it over most as you know the history of your tractor.
It is nice to "know" the maintenance, usage etc. Now my van, which I've also had since new, would be nice if someone stole it... By the way, have we met before?

·
Administrator
12,687 Posts
Very nice Simplicity, I like the looks of that machine. Very well taken care of.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
:MTF_wel2: from another Simplicity owner.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Welcome aboard. Fine looking piece of machinery. Good luck keeping up with Dad's work. It shows he set the bar high. Glad to see I'm not the only one that likes the idea of a winch on a tractor. I'm in the process now and pictures will follow when done showing steps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts