My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening everyone,

This is all very new to me as I have never written in any forum before. I have always liked working in the garage with pretty much anything and a few months ago came across a deal on a small JD that I could not pass up. I have been hooked ever since and now have two sitting in the garage. Prior to this my only experience has been with checking them out at Home Depot or the local hardware store and thinking that I would never spend that much. However, in the short time that I have been tinkering with them it is amazing to me how well they are built and you can pick them up and fix them(if you are able) for a fraction of the price. The first one was all there and just needed a cleaning and simple gaskets and carb work. As I mentioned this is new to me and I am hoping that I did not bite off more than I can chew with the second one. It is much more of a restoration. I have looked on the forum previously for helpful hints and have found several. Hopefully with a little help make it through this one. I also have a feeling that there will be more in the garage after these two.

Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first one is an older 108 that the previous owner only wanted $100 for it. As I previously mentioned it was complete but leaked a lot of oil and wasn't pretty.

Last week I picked up a 185 Hydro. This one is also complete but has not ran in several years. From the quick research that I did it looks like they are pretty good machines. People have nothing but good things to say about them. I was able to hook up some new switches and a battery and got it turn over which is a start. The bigger problem I have with this one is that the steering is seized up and not the spindles. I believe both bushings are completely seized and i have been tearing everything apart trying to get to it. I will give it another shot this weekend. If I am not successful I will put another post out there. Once I get the steering under control I will try and tackle the engine. I will just keep my fingers crossed the engine and tranny are in good condition.

·
Super Moderator
33,831 Posts
Yes you can keep your eyes open for the deals, they are out there! Glad you found a few!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts