My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm joining up because recently moved out to the country and looking for some good ol education when it comes to lawn tractors. I'm tired of spending 4 hours pushing a mower around.

I think I found me a JD 130 to trade for on Craigslist and it needs a little work but from everything I've been reading on this forum as well as some others an old JD can be a beautiful thing so looking to get this ol gal up an running. starter went out according to current owner.

How ever here is my problem I'm currently a newb when it comes to riding mowers period.

if anyone can tell me any info on these machines would be great, all I've found out is it has a 9hp Kawasaki engine on it and that it is 42" other than that I'm clueless. if fixed up is this a good machine? where is a good place to find parts for this mower?

thanks
Chris:greendr:

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
:Welcome1: and to the green side. slkpk

·
Certified Master Tinkerer
3,045 Posts
A 130 should be a 30" single blade mower deck IIRC. I don't think a 42" deck option was available but these are somewhat unusual to see as they were produced only for three years (86-88). More info here: http://www.tractordata.com/lawn-tractors/000/0/1/10-john-deere-130.html

Also it may not need a starter. A common 100 series problem is worn/dirty contacts in the ignition switch causing a click instead of a start because the starter solenoid is not getting enough current through the switch. A $25 relay kit from the dealer and 10 minutes of installation MAY fix the problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that is potentially good news... ok the guy with the tractor said that he had someone add a pull start to it to get around the non starting issue, is this even possible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts