My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, just bought a local MF14 for $240. It has an "adapted" 50" cub cadet deck but the sheetmetal is worn and lots of scabbing done. The blades and spindles seems good but the deck is barely hanging on. The tractor was restored about 10 years ago for the guys 70 year old mother. The engine I am told is a high compression industrial 16HP Kohler (looks like K341) but the tag is worn badly. The first 4 numbers look like 3278 but not for sure. Starts and runs pretty well considering the junk fuel that is in it. Was sitting for last year or two. This mower is very fast. seems too fast in low for mowing and high gear flies when I'm on the street. Will spin tires for 2 ft on take off. I've only mowed about 5 ft with it because it throws the belt off. I plan to remount the mower and engineer some idlers to better stabilize the belt. The hydraulic lift works fine but everything seeps as the whole underside is caked.

I plan to power wash everything and do a complete fluids change and look for seeping seals. I have no manuals yet and all the plugs are covered up...advise on fluid type, weight, amount and draining/filling is appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Serial # for the tractor is 1944008524. I believe that is 1976?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Going by the chart we just added, you are correct on it being a 76. I would try to find a massey deck for it. You are on the right track with washing her down and checking for leaks. I don't know much about the 14 and 16 to help but I am sure others will be able to.

·
Super Moderator
17,203 Posts
Nice looking tractor --Those MF's in that size are just awesome looking...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I think it is a cool tractor...I found it on craigslist looking for a cheap mower to cover my 2.5 acres. My little sears has about had it. The previous owner said he had the deck 2 weeks ago but had it hauled off for scrap. Too bad. He said he hated that deck because he could never time the blades. I'm on a tight budget so the cub deck will have to work for now.

·
Banned
550 Posts
One of the big problems with the belt is all the manuals call for a 92 inch deck, and everyone, including myself, have never got anything to to work except a 90 inch belt hope this help. I have acomplete 14 parts tractor up he re in Oologah Ok. you MIGHT be able to talk me out of some parts I have a complete running engine and deck for sure. I've had mine clocked at 19mph by the Local Police, going to the Dollar General store, didn't have it all the way on GO. Definitley cuts the grass FAST. Mike

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Mike! I'll keep that in mind. I have family in Tulsa so if I'm ever up there with a truck....may look you up.

The previous owner claimed the belt jumped because of the difference between the massey pully's and the cub deck pulley. I think it has to do with the tension on the mule drive and I agree...the shorter belt will tighten it up. I'm still going to try my idlers to make sure the belt rides smooth on the deck. I played with a board riding on the belt between the mule drive and the deck and it made a huge difference in runnng smooth. That was on a 92" belt 1/2 wide. I tried a 5/8" belt and it jumped right off. Wasn't riding in the groove enough. I'm going with the shorter belt. I'll post pictures once things are together. Chad

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Posting Pictures

So the thick coating of black oil, grass and dust mixture had to go....stripped the mower down to do a thorough power washing (before/after):

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Post Power Washing....

More Pictures

Attachments

·
Banned
550 Posts
I'm also a newbie, I just started collecting Garden Tractors this February. Your doing a great job, I cant wait to start the resto project on mine

·
ROJ
2,191 Posts
concrats on scoring a great old tractor.these MF14's are big very heavyduty tractors.i think you will enjoy it.

·
Retired and Busy!
10,175 Posts
SpiceRedGTO

Nice find! :MTF_wel2: We are glad you found us on the net. There are many friendly and knowledgeable folks here at MTF, so enjoy all the different forums. Click on ”Active Topics” near the top left of the page for all the latest activity. You can also register with other members from your state by clicking here:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Ya Ya...great people here too...oologahan Mike has already been a blessing....speaking of....

Mike, I got all the manuals scanned in today and made some nice acrobat pdf files out of them. I'll burn a disk for you when I mail them back.

Would it be possible or "legal" to upload these files to the Manuals section of this site?

Thanks! Chad

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Newbie with MF14 - Update

Friday, 9-11, I had spent 2 days in court...my ex moved 120 miles from me and cut my visitation of my kids in half...so I took her to court and I got custody of my boy (12) and baby girl (8)! This afternoon, I go pick them up from Broken Arrow. Mike if I had time I would come see you and check out all your masseys...so getting the kids moved and settled in this week...then its back to my MF14...I did get 4 new tires and started working the mower deck over...I'll post new pictures when I'm done.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts