My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed a mower...and now I have it:fing32:

Having spent countless hours as a kid on a JD 110 mower, and knowing how tough that little tractor was, I decided I'd go back in time to a proven platform instead of the lighter stuff from the big-box stores. Couldn't justify the cost of a new "like" type tractor from the JD dealer, sooo...I bought a not-so-pretty 316 that runs/mows well, but needs some TLC to work for the summer before I restore it this fall/winter.

First question, the ol' 110 had triple hydraulics, and this of course only has one, but I remember the levers 'auto' returning to center on the old one and on this 316 the lever stays wherever you put it like it's stuck somehow internally. Am I correct in that it should auto-return to center?

Second, the splines on the steering shaft are pretty much stripped from the bottom of the joint to the shaft, and it slips half a turn until the bolt catches. Has anyone experienced this and, if so, is there an economical way to fix it?

Thanks for all the information and insight I've seen so far in searching this forum, I'm certain it will be invaluable in the future.

·
Registered
948 Posts
First question, the ol' 110 had triple hydraulics, and this of course only has one, but I remember the levers 'auto' returning to center on the old one and on this 316 the lever stays wherever you put it like it's stuck somehow internally. Am I correct in that it should auto-return to center?

Yes, the lever should auto return, except if you push it forward past the detent, then it should stay until you pull it back again past the detent, and then it should return.

Second, the splines on the steering shaft are pretty much stripped from the bottom of the joint to the shaft, and it slips half a turn until the bolt catches. Has anyone experienced this and, if so, is there an economical way to fix it?

Replace with a used part if you can find one. Might check eBay.

·
Super Moderator
16,325 Posts
I think you may have Had a 140H3 the 110 was only avaliable with 1 hydraulic valve and no outlets. The lever should return to center.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input fella's! Took the spool control apart and got it loosened up, works perfect now without all the rust in it. Also drained the hydro, changed the filter and refilled with Hy-Guard...which stopped the whine from the hydro and gives me peace of mind knowing it's the right stuff in there. Opened up the deck, found the tension spring broken and full of greasy chaff, which was from a leak from one of the hydro lines that's also fixed.

I figured out it's an 84' and actually has less than 300 hrs on the short-blocked Onan, and only 650 hrs on the whole machine, but the engine has a surge issue I have to figure out. Guess I'll pull the intake/carb and rebuild those first, as I think I may have an intake leak. Other than that, just getting everything in working order for the season and this fall will take it all apart, get all the surface rust cleaned up from it sitting outside for a few years, and paint it all up to look like new. At that time I'd also like to convert to dual-spool and power steering, then I'll have the mower I always wanted that I hope will last me another 25 years.

Looked at some new JD iron/plastic Friday, and they are sweeet, but WOW they're proud of em'! Although I convinced my wife 20k worth of motorcycles was necessary for my well being, she just can't seem to accept me spending 7-8 large to mow an acre a few times a year...but I'll keep working on her :fing32:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts