My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, this forum is great, i just joined. I am getting into the garden tractor thing and this past weekend found a 444 S/N 9691721 (1974 i believe) in running condition with a plow for 400 bucks. It needs some TLC, like a seat, voltage regulator, stock ignition switch, steering wheel, brakes dont work, and some body work, but its all there. Somebody along the line painted all the hood and fenders YELLOW.

Im not looking to do a full restoration, just want to clean it up, fix it up, bring it back to stock look and make sure everything works like it should. I plan on using this thing as a good mule around my property.

Where can i get the correct paint for this machine? Desert Sunset and Rower Red as i understand

This thing dwarfs my other yard horse. More like a yard pony..lol

Also where can i read up on how to add more attachments to this machine. I i understand that you can add a tiller or a splitter? but there is not live hydraulics in the back to hook it up to.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Ryan

Stafford Springs, CT

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Ryan,

Welcome to the group and congratulations on your purchase. You may also want to join the casegardentractor group on yahoo and read through all the FAQs in the files section as they will answer many questions that you have and some you haven't thought of yet.

The paint colors you want are readily available from any Case Farm Equipment dealer in spray cans, quarts, etc.

To operate a tiller you will need to add a hydraulic PTO which is a relatively simple process. Use PTOs are available on ebay from time to time for around $200 or you can purchase a generic hydraulic motor control valve and fabricate you own mounting bracket. Most of the older PTOs were connected with metal tubes but you can use off the shelf hydraulic hose to make the connections if you find a PTO without the tubes.

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Welcomet o MTF. You have a great little tractor there. I think Bart answered most of your questions. Kick back and do a little reading in this section and I think all of your questions will be answered.

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Nice tractor Ryan. Your right up the road from me. You'll need a rear pto, like said to run rear attachments.
Welcome to the forum.
MU

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Ah, I sense the separation anxiety already setting in so you'll be heading up the road to "help" Ryan with that new tractor.

Spot on Bart. :biglaugh: :sidelaugh :ROF :biglaugh: :sidelaugh :ROF

Rfish84 Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new tractor.

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
:Welcome1: Ryan, nice to have you aboard and congrats on your new purchase, both of them are fine looking machines and :thanku: for the pics.

·
Ingersoll Dealer
2,552 Posts
Welcome aboard, Ryan. You must have studied here enough to know that photos are in high demand!

What these guys didn't tell you yet is how addictive these machines are ... but given the old Jac yard pony, perhaps you already know that.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
One Case, two Case, three Case, four, you will be tractor less no more! Time to get your shed clear out and get prepared!

Welcome to MFT, you will enjoy the camaraderie and help to be found here and on the yahoo Case GT site. You will not have any questions that will go un answered!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
990Tank, i live 1 mile up the hill from the Speedway on RT140. Thanks for the welcomes everyone. I want to get this thing looking good and make sure its the workhorse i expect it to me. Plus it will be my wheels on the weekend when i am having a beer and tooling around the neighborhood..lol

thanks again for the kind welcome.

Ryan

·
put it in the mud
135 Posts
o nice i live on hopyard road right off of cooper lane maybe ill see you around sometime

·
Registered
77 Posts
Greetings and welcome to the group. Like others say it will become an addiction. I bought my first Ingersoll 4020 last August and just purchased a Case/Ingersoll 448.

Regarding the paint, go to a Case dealer and ask for Power Red B17671LF. I found this to be a perfect match. Since I'm relatively new I'm wondering though if this tractor is painted Desert Tan over Power Red? The more knowledgeable members of this group can advise.

Allen

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a line on the hydraulic three point hitch assembly for your tractor when your ready to take that plunge.
These guys are right, I bought my first CASE 644 last month and I'm looking everyday for parts and attachments.
She's a little shy and isn't ready for her forum debute photo spread yet.. but close.
Enjoy the tractor and forum

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Regarding the paint, go to a Case dealer and ask for Power Red B17671LF. I found this to be a perfect match. Since I'm relatively new I'm wondering though if this tractor is painted Desert Tan over Power Red? The more knowledgeable members of this group can advise.

Allen
There is no such colour as "Desert Tan". The OP has the correct name, which is Desert Sunset.

·
Wile E. Coyote
626 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If you become a member at the Yahoo site, groups.yahoo.com/group/casegardentractors They have a list of paint codes from Sherwin Williams and other paints that are a close match if you do not want to spend the money on the Case/Ingersoll paint.

Pete

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Since when are OEM paints from the local Case dealer more expensive than paint from a body shop supply house? A gallon of Power Red from the local Case/IH dealer should be around $80.00. Quarts are also available. I'd like to see anyone buy automotive grade paints for $80.00 per gallon here in Canada. Desert Sunset is even less expensive at the Case dealer.

·
Wile E. Coyote
626 Posts
I'm sorry maybe I should not have said to save a buck. I should have said in case your local dealer does not have any in stock, but the Napa right next door has paint but you don't know which one to use. You know, in case you're anxious to get paint on the sheetmetal.

Pete

1 - 19 of 19 Posts