My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I've been reading the forums for weeks now and decided to join! I have never owned a tractor before, I always rent equipment when I need to do work around the yard. I'm ready to buy a tractor, which yanmar would you guys recommend and where is the nearest Utda dealer. I dont want to get to small of a tractor, I want one that will get the job done. Thanks for your help. Jimmy

I live in East Tennessee.

I own 2.5 acres. 1 acre of that is hilly and a little rough.

Can you plow a garden with any of the yanmars? approx 40ft x 100ft.

I want to use the fel to move topsoil from point A to point B for leveling and so on.

Can I actually use the fel to level out areas, for instance to level up for a garage or an above ground pool?

I will get a tiller at some point.
I want a blade to level up my gravel driveway and keep it tidy.
I want to get a post hole digger to install a fence around the property.

Can you put a backhoe attachment on any of these tractors?

Thanks Again, Jimmy

·
Computer Geek Farmer
53 Posts
I want to use the fel to move topsoil from point A to point B for leveling and so on.

Can I actually use the fel to level out areas, for instance to level up for a garage or an above ground pool?
Welcome!

I'm going to suggest for that sort of ground leveling you will be better served by a scraper blade than a FEL. When I had a contractor build a garage and and driveway for me he used a scraper. The FEL on my 62 horse Ford "big" tractor won't cut squat on undisturbed soil. But works great on any loose material. (Perhaps that would be all different with a 4WD tractor, I dunno.)

My dad used a scraper blade on a little Massey-Ferguson to level a spot for a pool many long years ago. I think that's the sort of thing scrapers are really good at.

But you'll probably want a box blade for dressing your driveway.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rottweiler, Thanks for the reply and the tips, I need all of the advice I can get, as I have never owned a tractor before. Thanks, Jimmy

·
Registered
271 Posts
Don't know about the nearest, but we were the driving force behind it's formation, and I think Mark and others will tell you we are as good as it gets. No matter who you end up shopping, get references, several, and some more than a year old. You always want to see how a dealer treats his customers well after he has their money.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lmtc,

I was waiting for you to get in here! Which model do you recommend for my needs? Do you think a 1610d would fit the bill? Thanks, Jimmy

·
Registered
271 Posts
Call. Can't do justice to your needs based on what little is posted.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Shay, as a recent buyer, I can attest that the Yanmars will, plow, till, mow, lift grade and move. Heck, I plowed, disc'd and cultivated my whole garden with an ATV and a 12" Powerking moldboard, Powerking culitvator and Agri-fab disk. it's 60'x70' over all. But the old quad won't move buckets of gravel like even the smallest of compact tractors. good luck on your search. my best advice is to find the tractor with the loader. adding them on later is a pricey proposition.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts