My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much seafoam have you guy's been adding per gallon? I have a riding mower that had water in the gas tank. I drained it, blew it out, but still think I have a little residual water plus the carb had a lot of crud in it. It will run ok for a while then start to die so I choke it hard a couple of times and it straightens up for a little bit. Just wondering what you have had the best luck with.

·
Super Moderator
33,676 Posts
If you think you have water in the gas try some dry gas in your tank (available at most automotive stores).

·
Registered
72 Posts
I would pull the carb off and give it a good cleaning. I normally put in an oz. of seafoam per gallon of gas... BTW seafoam is good stuff. I recently added some seafoam in my wheelhorse gas tank and I think it broke loose some crud because it stalled out on me. I pulled the carb off, cleaned out the jets and ran like a champ

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
Seafoam is the best stuff I have found to get moisture out of gasoline or diesel fuel systems.I probably use too much but would usually put a about a half a can of Seafoam in a 5 gal can of fuel.

·
Premium Member
5,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yesterday, I put 6 oz. in and topped off the 3 gal. tank then ran it for about 10 min. I've had the carb off and cleaned it out a couple of times before trying the seafoam. I kept getting a little water in the bowl causing the engine to surge and eventually die. We'll see how well it works.

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,564 Posts
Yesterday, I put 6 oz. in and topped off the 3 gal. tank then ran it for about 10 min. I've had the carb off and cleaned it out a couple of times before trying the seafoam. I kept getting a little water in the bowl causing the engine to surge and eventually die. We'll see how well it works.
You can introduce seafoam directly into the carb through the air breather..

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
If he pours the Seafoam thru the air intake it'll just go straight thru the cylinders and not have any effect on the fuel system which is what he's having probelms with now.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
If you are pouring it directly in to the carburetor let it sit 15 or 20 minuets before starting to have time to clean the carburetor. Leave it longer if you can before starting.

·
Premium Member
5,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I pulled the cab again yesterday and blew the lines out. There was some water in the carb along with some crud so I blew it out and made sure the passages were clear. I drove it around for quite a while and it seems to be running really good now. Hopefully I got the last of it this time. :thanku: for the input, cjet69

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
Might work but sounds like the water is coming from the tank or in a dip in the fuel line.Does it have an inline filter?

·
Premium Member
5,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Might work but sounds like the water is coming from the tank or in a dip in the fuel line.Does it have an inline filter?
Yes, it does. The tank had about a pint of water in it when we brought the tractor home. How it got that much in there, I don't know. I probably should have pulled the tank, but thought draining and blowing it out would do the trick.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts