My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Ya'll,

Been looking for a Gravely L for a while, and found (and bought) a 5260 during the hunt. These are not too common around my neck of the woods in South Carolina, so forgive my ignorance.

According to the serial number(00300804), I believe it is a 1977. It has a Kohler K181S 6hp engine. It came with a tiller on it.

I got it for $60.00. The engine turns over with the new battery, but the solenoid and switch are bad(had to use a jumper). The carb is frozen solid and will need to be replaced. I imagine the fuel pump is crap as well. The fuel tank needs a good cleaning.

So, where is the best place to start looking for a carb and fuel pump or kit for the pump?? Do they make a solid state ignition or some kind of points eliminator kit for this motor?? Hopefully I will get to tinker with it some more next weekend if I get the time.

I am a heavy equipment mechanic field service tech, so wrenching is no problem, I am just more familiar with deisels and hydraulics.

Thanks in advance!!!

Andy

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Carb should be salvageable if you drop it in a gallon of chem-dip and leave it in there for a week or so. The choke and throttle plates may stay frozen though and that's where it gets easier to pick up a replacement on Ebay. Carb kits are available pretty much anywhere, I forget the # but any Kohler dealer will probably know it. Also, K181 is an 8 horse. Kohler did make an ignition module to eliminate points, but honestly points don't give you any trouble usually unless the machine sits for a long time. Fuel pump should also be fine, usually they don't go bad from sitting or getting wet. Good luck and welcome to MTF!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the answer! Yeah, I know it is an 8 hp, I mistyped it :fing20: The carb is currently in the carb cleaner, but both the throttle and choke plates are frozen, so probably will have to start looking for a replacement. Will wait to see about the fuel pump, no need to fix it if it ain't broken.

Well, if the points are not too bad on these, I will order a set and give them a try. This one has set up for a good while -- at least I know it was running when they last put it up.

Thanks,

Andy

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
:Welcome1:

Welcome to MTF and congratulations on the tractor. You got a steal on that one.

If you do need to order parts, Richards will fix you up and treat you right. They ship quickly too.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, that is a pricey carb. Hopefully the bath in the carb cleaner bucket will help free up the shafts. Thanks for the tip on richards, looks like many of the parts are still quite available.

On another note, how hard is it to convert my cultivator back to a plow, and then back to a cultivator?? Looks like just a matter of a few bolts. I would have to get a plow head and shaft, and a set of wheels. I can fab up a set of wheels no problem. Is this easily swapped, or would I be better off trying to find another gear head setup for a plow??

Sorry about all the questions, Thanks for the answers!!

Andy

·
Premium Member
5,153 Posts
Welcome specfour!

Agreed with above, you got a great deal on that machine. I predict you'll get a lot of good use out of it.

On another note, how hard is it to convert my cultivator back to a plow,
I don't have the cultivator attachment, only the plow, so can't speak from direct experience, but it was designed to be easy. A few bolts remove the cultivator assembly, and a few more mount the front section with the wheels.

Those parts go by on ebay regularly for not much, for instance see http://cgi.ebay.com/GRAVELY-ROTARY-...SION-UNIT-/190419458308?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0 So you may not even need to fab anything.
Sorry about all the questions, Thanks for the answers!!
The only dumb question is the one that never got asked.

Welcome aboard!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts