My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I'm new to the whole JD scene. I've owned other brands in the past but decided to finally take the plunge. I'm hoping I ordered the right machine for the job. Maybe you guys can help.

I ordered the X300 yesterday. Basically, I have an acre of grass to cut so I really could have bought just about anything and it would have worked fine. The reason I decided to get a JD was the extra work that needs to be done around here. I have about 4 stone retaining walls to build, irrigation system to install, spread about 1/6 acre worth of mulch, completely redo the front flower beds, and install a paver drive from the front of the house to the back of the house. So as you can see, I needed something that could haul a decent amount of material. I plan on hauling around 530lbs up and down a 10-15% grade. I will also be using it to smooth out loose material for the retaining walls (no heavy dirt pushing) but it is red clay.

Did I make the right choice? It's about all I could afford in my budget for the total project. I would have liked to get a x320 or x500 but I'm about flat broke.

Also, do I need to make any modifications right off the bat to help it's performance?

Thanks in advance...

(Edit: I shouldn't have included my weight in the amount I was hauling. I forgot that should be added to the tractor weight and not the load your pulling.)

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,654 Posts
So as you can see, I needed something that could haul a decent amount of material. I plan on hauling around 700lbs up and down a 10-15% grade.

Also, do I need to make any modifications right off the bat to help it's performance?
The X300 without deck is about 495 pounds. With a deck and a 175 pound operator, it would be only 30-40 pounds more than what you intend to tow. I think 700 lbs is too close to this, you should never tow a load heavier than the tractor down a hill, of any grade. You might have the power to pull it, but you DON'T have the means to stop it. Even a lighter load can overrun you if you lose traction. If you want to decrease your max loads to about 500 or less, you may be okay. Pulling those loads up a hill as steep as you mention, on a regular basis, may overtax the HST on that size tractor.

If you can stretch your budget at all, I'd recommend moving to the X500 if you intend to work it like this. Your other option, to keep the price down, is to look at something a few years old. Go to www.machinefinder.com and look at what's available. I'd recommend something like a GT 235 as the bottom of the pile, up to a GX 335 or 345 as the "premium" in models less than 5-7 years old. I have an '02 GT 235 and it is a strong worker, capable of what you're wanting to do, but for safety sake, I'd still limit the max weights you want to about 550-600 pounds.

As far as improving performance, the type tires (ag tread or turf) and wheel weights would improve things.

Where are you in SC? I live about 45 miles NNW of Charlotte, NC.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
KHodges- Thanks for the info. I had to edit the weight on my post because I forgot you add my weight to the tractor not the load (thanks for catching that one). I really want the x320 or x500 but I've pretty much stretched as far as I can go. I got furloughed so that took a chunk out of the budget. I did look for a 235 but they are all way too far away for me to go look at and the new one I found they want $4700+ for it. Most of the used ones look pretty rough from the pictures so I'm sure they look even worse in person (expect for the guy who included the picture of his brand new x300 claiming it was the 235...lol).

I'm gussing from your feedback that I got the bare minimum for what i want to do. That sort of sucks but at least it should be able to handle it.

I'm down near the Anderson/Clemson area.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks both of ya but now you guys are making me wonder if I got the right thing. I guess my major concern with getting something bigger is the fact that once the work is done; I'll basically just be mowing and I should rarely have to move anything heavy again other than mulch or gravel.

I'd hate to regret spending too much but at the same time I'd hate to regret buying too little.

·
Registered
264 Posts
You can do a lot with a little, you just have to do it in smaller loads, and take more time. Just be careful, & good luck.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,654 Posts
I'd hate to regret spending too much but at the same time I'd hate to regret buying too little.
The great quandary. It's striking the balance between the two that is difficult, and if you must err, err to getting more than you need IF you can possibly stretch the budget some. If you've been furloughed, that sort of takes care of that.

If (since) you've already ordered the X300, take delivery and give it a try. You have the JD Promise regarding satisfaction. You may be able to get by, but I would seriously limit the loads you plan to pull to just a couple hundred pounds at a time, and the "ground engagement" work to as little as possible. The X300 is primarily designed to mow and pull a light cart. Occasional heavier stuff will work as long as you are judicious, but long term will hurt the lifespan of some of the more expensive parts to repair or replace.

I mentioned the 235 and 335 because they are newer models. You can go older than that and still get a GT with lots of life left for what you plan to put into the X300. May not be as pretty, but still as good.

My BIL lives in Central, works at the Oconee Power Plant.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would the x320 be worth stepping up to? I notice it has the K58 trans with the 22hp engine. I could possible stretch to it. My dealer has both on the lot so he won't mind if I switch to the x320. He's not delivering it until middle of the week so it won't set him back. Both of them were boxed and the techs were gone yesterday so they won't assemble it until Monday morning. I can call first thing and change the order if I can tweak the finances this weekend.

Yea, the Oconee plant is not too far from me. I heard that's a nice place to work.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,654 Posts
If you can stretch that far, definitely. Unless he cuts you a good deal, you're looking at $1000 difference, but yeah, I'd do it in a heartbeat and worry less about tearing something up early on from overdoing it. More power, more capable tranny, heavier tractor. It also comes with a 48" deck instead of the 42", so less time to mow the grass (although most of us here on MTF see that as a downside:ROF )

·
Registered
90 Posts
mercdv - Yes,upgrade to x320. Also - carry lighter loads - it's just a difference of a few minutes in loading and hauling and will give you a nice work break. I've had the x320 since May (40 hours on it) and don't have one complaint about it. I cut 2 acres, and haul some heavy stuff around in a cart and love how this little beast is engineered.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would do the X320. I have a LA115 and have pulled 750 lbs with it and it only weighs about 475 lbs I think w/ me on it. That ole K46 was sure whinin though. Oh well I'm getting a ZTR soon so it wont be used much. Sorry for hijacking your thread.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the time you took to respond KHodges. I will be calling the dealer in the morning and asking him for the x320 instead. I'll just put one of the retaining walls on hold so I can makeup the price difference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts