My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I have a couple questions on the 80's style Snapper push mowers.
1) what does the "extra tough" actually mean?
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_00T0T_flhdVxUG6jm_600x450.jpg

2)what is the difference between the black and chrome housing for the air filter in the front close the gas cap?
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_00H0H_9o3dwQ7dSKv_600x450.jpg
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_01515_4KraWBm7yO6_600x450.jpg

I've posted a few pictures to possible help. I'm new to snappers and any advice would be greatly appreciated. thank you

·
Registered
5 Posts
No idea on the extra tough.
The chrome housing is correct for Snapper and uses a paper element. The black housing uses an oiled foam element and that particular one looks to be off of a later model Briggs.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I think that the X-tra-Tough,models were later called "commercial" ,you would need a parts manual,to tell the differences on each model.there is one available(or maybe more than one), I remember the wheels,(ball bearings,vs. bushings,plastic vs. metal) some differences with the "control mechanisms",

·
Registered
432 Posts
Extra tough models had commercial-grade engines and steel wheels front and rear and engines rated at 4hp. The full commercial units had slightly longer handlebars and bigger bags and engines rated at 5hp in addition to the steel wheels. As far as I know that's about it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the helpful information fellas. That's exactly what I needed to know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts