My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a B1700 with 567 hours on it. The engine won't start and has low compression, 190-210 on all 3 cyl. I add a small amount of oil to the cyl. and the compression pegs my 300lb gauge. So I suspect bad rings. The previous owner said a rodent chewed through his air filter and he sucked in dirt for 9 mounths before he realized it. Anyway, I've got the pistons out of it and bought new rings from the dealer.The cylinders looked good after a quick hone job. I need to file the rings to size so I need the ring end gap specs. And the head bolt torque and rod bolt torque. I asked the dealer if he could help me, but he said he was too busy. I can't find any specific imfo online. Any help would be appreciated as I'm so excited to get this thing back together ASAP! ANYONE HAVE A SHOP MANUAL FOR A SIMILIAR ENGINE??? Thankyou!!!

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Welcome aboard bigsbetter.
I don't have any specs for your engine unfortunately. In looking at the WSM for my BX23's D905 engine, which is slightly larger than yours, I'd say the specs are similar but I'd recommend contacting another dealer to see if they'd give you the exact spec's.

For the D905 engine: (the verbage is straight form the manual)
Ring end gap, .0098" - .0157" (0.25 - 0.40 mm)
Connecting rod screw, (M8 x 1) 30.3 - 33.9 ftlbs.
Cylinder head screw, (M10 x 1.25) 47 - 50.6 ftlbs.

If the bolts (screws) in your engine are similar in size I'd say the torque value will be very close.
With that said, thats alot of tear down to get back at the components should the spec's be different. Damage could be done too. If you want to be sure and you can't find the info on any sites, you'll need to look into purchasing a WSM for your tractor/engine.

Good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for the reply. The specs do help! My tractor does have the D905 engine so they should be close.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts