My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to the forum. I just purchased 12 acres of land and I will be building a house on it in the next year or two. Right now I am just looking to get some information on some riding mowers so I don't purchase something that I will not be happy with. I do not know know much about riding mowers so any input would be appreciated. And if you are wondering I will not be mowing the entire 12 acres. Most of it is wooded and I plan on using a rider to mow what ever lawn we dicide to have around the house and then about 10' on each side of the lane coming into the property. The land is pretty flat with slight slopes.

I have looked at a few places around town like Sears, Home Depot and Lowes. From what I saw I thought the Craftsman Professional 54'' with a Briggs & Stratton 28hp (Sears Item# 07128984000 | Model# 28984) for a little under $3,000 was maybe the rider that would be best for what I need it for. Again, any input will help. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Are you only looking at new? There are a lot of great used tractors out there. I would suggest looking around for a simplicity or Bolens.

Jason

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you only looking at new? There are a lot of great used tractors out there. I would suggest looking around for a simplicity or Bolens.

Jason
No, not necessarily looking for new just something I will be happy with. The more I read on this site I think it may even make sense for me to look into compact tractors also.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
If you direct me to your craigslist section I will look around. Maybe I can suggest 1 or 2 tractors in your area. Some of the bigger Bolens are right on the line between GT and CUT. Are you also looking to move snow with it or till gardens?

Jason

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you direct me to your craigslist section I will look around. Maybe I can suggest 1 or 2 tractors in your area. Some of the bigger Bolens are right on the line between GT and CUT. Are you also looking to move snow with it or till gardens?

Jason
Yes, I would like to move snow also. For the Craigslist section is would be Nebraska for the state and Lincoln or Omaha for the city.

Thanks.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Check out the JD 2305, 2320, 2520, 2720 series. I like mine. slkpk

·
Registered
1,995 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
What is your budget? I would not buy any craftsman to do that lawn as I doubt it will stand up to the abuse. If you buy older, you will have to fix/update/adjust everything on your own and it will usually be when you need the machine the most. Once you get it running well, a good machine should last awhile. Parts can be tricky to get on older stuff though.

New iron is nice at first but dealer support is key for those issues that WILL pop up. I don't care how much you spend, issues can and will arise when you least expect it. Someone is likely to burn me at the stake for saying this next bit, Even though the Dixon is attractive its only good if you can get GOOD DEALER SUPPORT. The frame is weak (like the newer GT-5000) and the Kawasaki is good but its NOT a commercial grade.

Deere X500/X700 and up will do nicely but you will pay for quality. The same goes for Simplicty, Kubota and a few others but again, dealer support is key.

I have not had any issues (yet...) with my GT-5000 but I cannot kid myself about the success of getting customer support should I need it.

My .02 for what its worth...:trink40:

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I think craigball has the crux of it - dealer support. The older tractors are strongly built but everything breaks a piece eventually. Depends how much you have to spend for new or how much time you have for repairs of older models.

You have not even cleared the land. After it is cleared you will have a better idea of your needs.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Looks like there is not much out that way for Bolens equiptment. This seems like a pretty good deal. I am sure there are others out there too. http://omaha.craigslist.org/grd/1913457038.html

Jason
Something like this listing (or EXACTLY this listing) would be very good. I have a Cub 123, a little older than this listing, and it is built like a tank, parts seem to be available, and it should last a lifetime (another lifetime). I would recommend the 147 highly, assuming it's in decent shape to begin with.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Get as much tractor as you can afford. 12 acres has a lot of potential projects. I would say at least a SCUT!

·
Registered
476 Posts
With all the work you will have around 12 acers you had the right idea about looking into the compack tractors 28 HP and up I have 2-1/2 acers and I need one with a front end loader also. Last week I used my brothers to move 9--- 12 yard loads of dirt that i had brought in, and also i pulled up some 6 foot T post with it that i had used in my garden, bucket is the real easy way to pull post, also cleaned up my garden spot because all was finished bearing. All that work and it only used 9 gal. of fuel. Lucky I have a brother that has one just 1/2 mile on same road that i use from time to time he has 5 acers, I found the tractor for him and if he hadn't needed it more than me i would have had it. It was from a member on my hunting club that had it. Good Luck.:greendr:

·
Registered
484 Posts
Do not and i say do not buy one of the box store tractors. They are nothing more than a lawn mower. I made this mistake and put a blower on a jd la145 and at lowes they told me ya that will work good. I should have spent the same amount and got an older john deere garden tractor and could have gotten it with more attachments. I am trying to upgrade to an older johndeere 318, 400, 420 or something along them lines. I like the deeres just cause that is what has good dealer support around here. ALso chekc into the simplicity, bolens, areins. Buy once instead of having to sell and try to explain to the wife why you want an older tractor instead of the nice new shiny one in the garage. I have about a 107 hours on my la145 and truthly i think it is about shot. I hardly will even drive up my ditch while mowing, and its not that steep. I would also consider a scut or cut if you can afford one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts