My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to the forum. I just purchased 12 acres of land and I will be building a house on it in the next year or two. Right now I am just looking to get some information on some riding mowers so I don't purchase something that I will not be happy with. I do not know know much about riding mowers so any input would be appreciated. And if you are wondering I will not be mowing the entire 12 acres. Most of it is wooded and I plan on using a rider to mow what ever lawn we dicide to have around the house and then about 10' on each side of the lane coming into the property. The land is pretty flat with slight slopes.

I have looked at a few places around town like Sears, Home Depot and Lowes. From what I saw I thought the Craftsman Professional 54'' with a Briggs & Stratton 28hp (Sears Item# 07128984000 | Model# 28984) for a little under $3,000 was maybe the rider that would be best for what I need it for. Again, any input will help. Thank you.

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Glad you joined!
:wwp: If you need easy Picture help
Be sure to Register for Your State!

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
:Welcome1: You arent going to want a box store machine for that much!! I'd go with john deere X500 series X700 series minimum. With the X700 series you can add a loader and 3pt hitch. What is your budget?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
:Welcome1: You arent going to want a box store machine for that much!! I'd go with john deere X500 series X700 series minimum. With the X700 series you can add a loader and 3pt hitch. What is your budget?
I really do not have a budget. My plan is to eventually get a compact tractor with a front loader and either a belly mower or 3 point. The problem is I do not plan on building on the land I just bought for a couple of years and I do not have room to park a compact tractor inside right now unless I just wanted it sitting outside on the land which I really do not want to do. So I thought I would just get a riding mower for now and keep it in the garage where I live and trailer it out to the land. I just did not plan on spending much more than $3,000 on a riding mower. It looks like the JD X500 with 54" deck retails for $5,899 and the X700 with 54" deck retails for $9,599. I am sure they are both great riding mowers and will outlast and perform better than the Craftsman Professional 54" and I will have much more options for attachments but is it really worth that much extra money for what I will be using it for? If I could find a used one that is only a couple of years old and has low hours for a good price I would definatly go that route. I have been keeping my eyes open on Craigs List and eBay. Thanks for the input.

·
10K and Climbin!
12,307 Posts
Just for giggles look around on CL or even ask local dealers for a decent used machine as the season is ending and they will want to liquidated on hand stock.. (the dealer may even recommend a good fit for your needs) Just a thought.. :goodl:

·
Super Moderator
16,526 Posts
Welcome to the Forum:MTF_wel:
That a decent price for a GX335. It's either a 2002 or 2003 model. 2004 model's and beyond had a Diff/lock pedal:thThumbsU

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am still wondering if I am going to use this garden tractor for mowing and possibly putting a snow blower on the front of it to move snow a few times a year is it worth spending the extra money for a John Deere? The GX335 I found on Craigs List is 6 to 8 years old with 125 hours and it is $3,800. A new John Deere X500 is almost $6,000. The Craftsman Professional 54'' with a 28hp Briggs & Stratton I mentioned above is $2,900 brand new with warranty. I know that the Craftsman tractors do not compare at all to John Deere but I am having a hard time justifying the extra cost for what I will use it for especially if I plan on getting a compact tractor down the road. Again, I have no experience with garden tractors and I do not want to buy something I will not be happy with so any input is appreciated.:thanku:

·
Registered
933 Posts
If you are going to be buying a compact in a few years, jut buy a beater to mow with for now. Unless you have an extra 2 or 3 thousand dollars laying around burning a hole in your pocket.

You should be able to find something like this fairly easy in your area, although this one is overpriced imo, but just an example --> http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/grd/1929091446.html

·
Registered
938 Posts
Does anyone know anyting about these trail behind mowers you can pull with an ATV? I already have an ATV so maybe this is something I should look into.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200322971_200322971
If you don't have much tight quarters the atv tow behind might be a good idea.
Personally I get by with older used machines but I also work on them myself.
My sister has a JD GT235 and it has been through a lot of abuse and never missed a lick. If you could find one of those used at a good price it would serve you well.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Does anyone know anyting about these trail behind mowers you can pull with an ATV? I already have an ATV so maybe this is something I should look into.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200322971_200322971
the one in the ad is a rough cut trail cutter, like a brush hog, i think you want a finish mower. I have the 60" finish trial mower, i use it offset behind a 54" GT tractor. That swisher is built like a tank, heavy steel, good welds and made in america. Only thing is they say not to go over 5mph, that is no problem for me my tractor only goes 5mph.

·
22,189 Posts
:MTF_wel2:

Try these. All for less than the Craftsman (with tax). All better built and heavier (some over 1000 lb.) and some have proven that they will outlast the Craftsman. All within a couple of hundred miles.

Hmmmmm. That didn't work. Anyway, here's the search that I used and the list of tractors that I found.

http://www.searchtempest.com/

Cub Cadet GT1550, mower, $2800. Effectively new.

Possibly a blower for the above tractor, $400.

JD314, mower, blower, front blade, $1995.

MF1450 mower and blower, $1200

JD400, mower, $2000

JD430 diesel, mower, $2500.

Cub Cadet GT2550, mower, blower, $3000.

Case GT222, mower, blower, $1200.

JD332 diesel, mower, $2900.

I'm a Massey kind of guy, but I would not turn up my nose at a diesel, very frugal on fuel consumption. Some good prices in this list.

Don't let the hp. ratings fool you. All of these tractors are a match for the Craftsman, with the possible exception of snowblowing. (And I wouldn't bet on that.)

Did you price a blower for the Craftsman?

·
Registered
848 Posts
Is it worth buying a JD over a Craftsman? Yes. JD are much better engineered. In 1998 I bought a Craftsman because the JD were twice as much. I got it home and mowed half my yard and it quit running. I called Sears and told them to come get it. I went to the JD dealer and bought a new JD. One of the best decisions I ever made. Yeah, it was $3,000 but it still runs like a top to this day. After having it all these years and messing with it I can see how much engineering and thought goes into making these machines. Best of luck in your decision.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts