My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum and happy to be here. Im also new to riding mowers. I recently purchased a property on 4 acres. Approximately 2 acres with grass on a descent slope. I have determined that a garden tractor will do, as I will be eventually growing a good amount of food in the area and I would like the help of a garden tractor for various tasks. Hoping if y'all can point me in the right direction of what to get. Ive looked at the John Deere, but not willing to pay the amount for a new one. Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
All equipment is very specialized to your needs , big tractors get used when you need them small tractors get used ever day those are the ones you ride to the mail box .

·
Super Moderator
35,860 Posts
First, welcome to MTF! Lots of info here and great members to help and share with, enjoy the site! Here is some site navigation assistance in case you need it:

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
Welcome to the forum! How steep is the slope?

Are you shopping for new, or are you open to used? If used, whereabouts in the country are you, since that will impact pricing, etc. What kind of budget are you planning on?

Those will help give more of a starting point for suggestions.

There are loads of used options, in a variety of ages and price points. You will get much more tractor value if buying used, vs new, but of course you need to shop more carefully when the machine is used. I bought my used GT last year, in great condition with 65 hours, for the price of a basic box-store lawn tractor. But it's far more capable than an entry-level LT.

Given the slope, and the fact that you'd like to do ground-engaging work, looking for something with a differential lock (for more traction) would be a good idea. This will admittedly narrow your options somewhat. Mine does not have a diff lock, but I added used ATV tires for more traction, and you can also add additional weight (such as wheel weights, or suitcase weights).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Are you shopping for new, or are you open to used? If used, whereabouts in the country are you, since that will impact pricing, etc. What kind of budget are you planning on?

There are loads of used options, in a variety of ages and price points. You will get much more tractor value if buying used, vs new, but of course you need to shop more carefully when the machine is used. I bought my used GT last year, in great condition with 65 hours, for the price of a basic box-store lawn tractor. But it's far more capable than an entry-level LT.

Given the slope, and the fact that you'd like to do ground-engaging work, looking for something with a differential lock (for more traction) would be a good idea. This will admittedly narrow your options somewhat. Mine does not have a diff lock, but I added used ATV tires for more traction, and you can also add additional weight (such as wheel weights, or suitcase weights).

Thanks for the reply. I have a rolling slope towards my home and a moderate slope in another area. I am open to buying used as I know older models where built better in some regards. Im looking to spend about $2500. I am in North East Tennessee in the Tri-City area.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply. I have a rolling slope towards my home and a moderate slope in another area. I am open to buying used as I know older models where built better in some regards. Im looking to spend about $2500. I am in North East Tennessee in the Tri-City area.
Also, I have been searching Craigslist and Facebook market place for some time, but a little unsure about what exactly I am looking for. At this point Im looking for lugs on the rear tires (indicating it is a garden tractor??) or are there other ways to tell if it is a garden tractor? I basically ask if there are any fluid leaks, what kind of shape the deck is in, how many hours are on the engine, and what type of engine. I look closely at the posted pictures to see what kind of shape the seat is in ect. This is all without seeing it in person that is.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Post possibilities you see from FB or CL here. People can advise on merits. If you can wrench some, great deals can be had.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Also, I have been searching Craigslist and Facebook market place for some time, but a little unsure about what exactly I am looking for. At this point Im looking for lugs on the rear tires (indicating it is a garden tractor??) or are there other ways to tell if it is a garden tractor? I basically ask if there are any fluid leaks, what kind of shape the deck is in, how many hours are on the engine, and what type of engine. I look closely at the posted pictures to see what kind of shape the seat is in ect. This is all without seeing it in person that is.
Garden tractors have much larger rear wheels than a lawn tractor, and the rear wheels bolt on... you'll see the bolts around the rim. That's usually the dead give away, the much larger rear wheels and most importantly the bolt on rear wheels.

Asking what rear end is in it is also a good start. Any garden tractor worth a darn will have a Tuff Torq K66 or better or similar, even across other brands.

Like another member posted, if your unsure... post a link of what your looking at, and someone here will let you know if it is a heavy duty machine or a little yard tractor.

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
Sorry, I had meant to try and reply to this the other day, but I forgot.

Generally, as MowerMan86 said, the size of the rear wheels, and whether they bolt on, is a good indicator. Lawn tractors generally have smaller rear wheels, and there are typically no bolts visible. Whereas garden tractor wheels bolt on (you'll see 4 or 5 bolts), and they're larger wheels.

But I suspect that some manufacturers are now trying to blur those lines a bit, and imply that a machine is more capable than is really is. For instance, the Deere E180 is a lawn tractor, but has larger rear wheels. There are still no bolts on them, but I think I've seen an LT with bolt-on rear wheels.

John Deere E180 54 in. 25 HP V-Twin ELS Gas Hydrostatic Lawn Tractor-BG21072 - The Home Depot

Googling the model # is usually a good place to start. Unless it's a Craftsman; stuff like 917.198423 doesn't always come up with a lot of info. But looking at tractordata.com , for a given machine, will usually give a good overview of it, and will typically classify it as an LT or GT.

I haven't checked out the video myself, but Taryl has a video about what to look for when buying a used tractor. Despite the "schtick" with the teeth, etc, his videos are a good source of info. I'd give this a watch, at a minimum.

And agreed with posting here about models you're considering, it's a good way to get feedback.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Here is a JD 332 in the Knoxville area, if that is not to far and it looks good to you I believe it will do all you will ever need.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is a JD 332 in the Knoxville area, if that is not to far and it looks good to you I believe it will do all you will ever need.
Great find! I appreciate you taking the time. Not too far. About an hour and a half. I’m in the tri city area thanks again.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Tractor data list 2 tillers that will work with this GT, the also have a list of serial numbers so you can positively identify the year it was manufactured. The mower deck in the add should be inspected for rust damage, if it's not to bad you can resurface and paint. The spindles can be replaced fairly easily along with new belts.
https://www.tractordata.com/lawn-tractors/000/0/4/40-john-deere-332.html

1 - 13 of 13 Posts