My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the LA 135 now for a little over a month and I have just completed the break-in maintenance. This is my review so far.....

Background;

I am mowing about a half acre where the front (1/3) is flat, with small hills along one edge. And the back is sloped about 10-15% for 2/3's of that, small hill, then flat again. I have push mowed for many a year and did'nt want to do that much anymore, but did'nt want to pay for it either...answer...Lawn Tractor. There are a few large tree's in back, One in the front with six evergreens, from small to large.
I originally saw an ad for Lowe's, for riding mowers for what seemed like a ridiculus price, but thought I'd check it out. The Bolens was cheapest, but hey, paying $60-90 a month to have it cut?...Naw...but now the Troy-Built...a little more..but looks better. JD...outta my price range. Whoa...those Husqvarna's look nice, but was'nt gonna spend that much. Then I found MTF.......

Ended up with the JD 135 because;
1) Liked the LA115 but wanted a bumper,(first timer) and after adding that on, and the fact for a bit more, got the twin cylinder and a few other features, seemed like a good idea. Also, required a 42" deck as it allows me to get between tight spots...so anything larger was'nt in the mix.
2) Read the fine print on the financing. JD is a true, "No Intrest 12/mos." ..meaning you only pay intrest on the balance...not the purchase. Sear's and Lowe's financing is scary, and alot higher.
3) Bought from a dealer who delivered and set it up. Now I know the "bumper" (part in #1)..seems silly, but add all these in, plus about $75.00 delivery from the box stores....suddenly my 135 was only a little bit more.

The Review;

The dealer dropped it off right on time. Could'nt wait to get mowing but swallowed my ego and let him walk me through the basics. Pretty easy.

Mowed and drove around for an hour or so looking for more grass to cut.
Was amazed at how tight you can turn w/18" radius and how powerful it seemed on the small slopes and hills. The engine purrs like a kitten even though the first few start's blew a little puff of smoke, that has since dissapeared. Had bought 2-1/2 gallons of gas prior to delivery and thought, "Oh No" its a gas hog!"...It could not have been a full tank, as I am also amazed at it's fuel economy. (Guess they're trying to save a buck where they can).

Was going to address the safety features as I figured I would want them disabled but, found that was just a silly idea. If you cut commercially, maybe, but already second nature for me.

I had a few problems with the break-in maintenance but, not the machines fault, rather user error. The deck is easy to take off/on ...after the first time, and changing to Gator Blades was pretty simple...once I got the right tools. (BTW) when you take the deck off...thread the idler arm spring up through the hole..not down through the hole..you'll find out why. The air filter does'nt seem to get dirty at all, but it's still early in the season and not that dry or dusty yet here in Missouri.

Now the T-40....:beatdeadh

I have mowed 5-6 times, and have also dethatched, and plug aerated. Neither task seemed to difficult for the LT, although current opinoin suggests it's not a good idea. I have a two year warranty, and JD sells a dethatcher (w/175lbs. weight tray, and, a plug aerator as an accessory for this model). I do think they should make the T-40 servicable or at least put the recomended synthetic oil in the units. However...JD says i'm whithin factory spec.'s and did'nt have near that much weight, and plan on going heavier next time, as I don't think I had enough to do the jobs correctly. I do seriously consider changing the oil out, after warranty.

So far, I am completely satisfied with my 135, and don't quite understand why anyone, in this series, would go with a 145,165 or 175....dont seem like you get that much more, unless you need a bigger deck. (No pun intended). I would like to add that while 2k is alot of money...its hard to believe that anyone can produce a machine like this and sell it at this price. I know it's a lawn mower with a cup holder, (LOL) but still impressive to me.

I would also like to thank MTF for this website and all the help given in my decision making. And, even though I ended up spending almost twice what I started out thinking of, I feel I made the right choice for my needs, and,I just plain old "love" my LA135.

c1tobor :thThumbsU ...sigh...another week until I can mow again....:trink40:

·
Super Moderator
16,351 Posts
Good review. Glad your Happy with your Deere. :thThumbsU

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Good write up. Keep the maintenance up and it should last a long time.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Congrats on your toy! Like it has already been stated, keep up the maintenance and she will last a good long time!

:thThumbsU

·
Registered
204 Posts
i went to LA145 do to bigger cut.at first, i thought,heck 6 inch difference does not mean much on 1 and 1/2 acres.well, i was wrong.i get done much quicker and the 3rd blade is plus when grass is wet.i cut just after a heavy rain and no clumps of grass came out.

getting done sooner is better for the tranny also and motor too on hot day.LA145 was only 100 dollars more with electric deck engage.

congrats on your 135, i was close to getting that one until they gave me 10% off and threw in the green JD 10p cart saving of 429 dollars.i paid 2,000 with tax etc for everything

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
:fing32: :fing32: and enjoy it. slkpk

·
Registered
417 Posts
I would be very interested if you feel the same way about you LA135 in two years.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Me too.....:praying:

·
Super Moderator
29,532 Posts
congrats! i am sure you will continue to love it.

as to sproulman, that 3rd blade is also a hinderance. let the grass get long and you will see the famous JD twin strips. notice tha tis STRIPS, not STRIPES, you will get 2 uncut strips if cutting more than an inch or maybe 2 off grass, or if cutting thick wet grass. just the drawback of a 3 blade deck. both my L130 and my X500 will do it in the right condition, though honestly the X500 rarely does it. the L130 will do it in dry grass now, thus the reason i upgraded!

·
Registered
747 Posts
My LA140 is two years old now, and I'm still as happy with it as I was on day one.
As long as you use the LA's for the job they were intended to perform - cutting grass on a relatively flat yard - they're fine a long time with the proper care.

·
Registered
204 Posts
congrats! i am sure you will continue to love it.

as to sproulman, that 3rd blade is also a hinderance. let the grass get long and you will see the famous JD twin strips. notice tha tis STRIPS, not STRIPES, you will get 2 uncut strips if cutting more than an inch or maybe 2 off grass, or if cutting thick wet grass. just the drawback of a 3 blade deck. both my L130 and my X500 will do it in the right condition, though honestly the X500 rarely does it. the L130 will do it in dry grass now, thus the reason i upgraded!
did not notice that but i never cut more than about inch ,makes sense.i had a 42 inch with 2 blades,could not cut after rain had to wait until yard dried.this la145, i cut 10 minutes after a very heavy rain and had NO CLUMPS.
now i can cut in mornings,could not do that with my 42 inch sears,had to wait for grass to dry.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have had the LA 135 now for a little over a month and I have just completed the break-in maintenance. This is my review so far.....

Background;

I am mowing about a half acre where the front (1/3) is flat, with small hills along one edge. And the back is sloped about 10-15% for 2/3's of that, small hill, then flat again. I have push mowed for many a year and did'nt want to do that much anymore, but did'nt want to pay for it either...answer...Lawn Tractor. There are a few large tree's in back, One in the front with six evergreens, from small to large.
I originally saw an ad for Lowe's, for riding mowers for what seemed like a ridiculus price, but thought I'd check it out. The Bolens was cheapest, but hey, paying $60-90 a month to have it cut?...Naw...but now the Troy-Built...a little more..but looks better. JD...outta my price range. Whoa...those Husqvarna's look nice, but was'nt gonna spend that much. Then I found MTF.......

Ended up with the JD 135 because;
1) Liked the LA115 but wanted a bumper,(first timer) and after adding that on, and the fact for a bit more, got the twin cylinder and a few other features, seemed like a good idea. Also, required a 42" deck as it allows me to get between tight spots...so anything larger was'nt in the mix.
2) Read the fine print on the financing. JD is a true, "No Intrest 12/mos." ..meaning you only pay intrest on the balance...not the purchase. Sear's and Lowe's financing is scary, and alot higher.
3) Bought from a dealer who delivered and set it up. Now I know the "bumper" (part in #1)..seems silly, but add all these in, plus about $75.00 delivery from the box stores....suddenly my 135 was only a little bit more.

The Review;

The dealer dropped it off right on time. Could'nt wait to get mowing but swallowed my ego and let him walk me through the basics. Pretty easy.

Mowed and drove around for an hour or so looking for more grass to cut.
Was amazed at how tight you can turn w/18" radius and how powerful it seemed on the small slopes and hills. The engine purrs like a kitten even though the first few start's blew a little puff of smoke, that has since dissapeared. Had bought 2-1/2 gallons of gas prior to delivery and thought, "Oh No" its a gas hog!"...It could not have been a full tank, as I am also amazed at it's fuel economy. (Guess they're trying to save a buck where they can).

Was going to address the safety features as I figured I would want them disabled but, found that was just a silly idea. If you cut commercially, maybe, but already second nature for me.

I had a few problems with the break-in maintenance but, not the machines fault, rather user error. The deck is easy to take off/on ...after the first time, and changing to Gator Blades was pretty simple...once I got the right tools. (BTW) when you take the deck off...thread the idler arm spring up through the hole..not down through the hole..you'll find out why. The air filter does'nt seem to get dirty at all, but it's still early in the season and not that dry or dusty yet here in Missouri.

Now the T-40....:beatdeadh

I have mowed 5-6 times, and have also dethatched, and plug aerated. Neither task seemed to difficult for the LT, although current opinoin suggests it's not a good idea. I have a two year warranty, and JD sells a dethatcher (w/175lbs. weight tray, and, a plug aerator as an accessory for this model). I do think they should make the T-40 servicable or at least put the recomended synthetic oil in the units. However...JD says i'm whithin factory spec.'s and did'nt have near that much weight, and plan on going heavier next time, as I don't think I had enough to do the jobs correctly. I do seriously consider changing the oil out, after warranty.

So far, I am completely satisfied with my 135, and don't quite understand why anyone, in this series, would go with a 145,165 or 175....dont seem like you get that much more, unless you need a bigger deck. (No pun intended). I would like to add that while 2k is alot of money...its hard to believe that anyone can produce a machine like this and sell it at this price. I know it's a lawn mower with a cup holder, (LOL) but still impressive to me.

I would also like to thank MTF for this website and all the help given in my decision making. And, even though I ended up spending almost twice what I started out thinking of, I feel I made the right choice for my needs, and,I just plain old "love" my LA135.

c1tobor :thThumbsU ...sigh...another week until I can mow again....:trink40:
trick i do with plug aerator is to wait after a heavy rain to use it.this way you dont have to use more than 1 cinder block and plugs will go in deep.pulling heavy weight with any HYDRO is very hard on it.i had sears/murray hydro mowers last me 10 yrs and no problems major wise.i worked them hard too.

your JD should last you longtime because it is much better mower than MURRAY,MTD,BOLENS ETC .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts