My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
My name's Gene and I've been lurking for a couple years just reading posts.I've got a problem that's got me so confungled I just had to ask for HELP! Got a Murry LAWN tractor(couldn't call it a garden tractor if I was blind) 20hp/46in cut mod#46430x8a.The back looks like the picture Doc Hawk posted on 01-06-09 "custom adapter for my murray"
Now here's the problem, better half and daughters got me a brand spanking new fresh outta the boxes Agri-fab 48in dethatcher AND a 48in plug aerator and I'm worried about hooking them up.the supposed hookup on the tractor appears to be 14ga maybe 12ga metal and the hole is 3/4,the clevis pin is 3/8. Seems like an awful lot of hole/clevis pin slop and light duty metal to boot.Read all the prior posts I could find and still don't really have a clue.Guy at the local box store says it's done all the time,but I don't want to tear this plate up on a first pass because I KNOW I'll have an audience.

gene :thanku:

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Guy at the local box store says it's done all the time,
Yeah, it's done all the time on my place too! Those holes are made to have some "slop" in 'em so the hitch has some built in "twist" room. If the hole was a real good fit and you ran over some uneven ground you'd be apt to stress something expensive.

A plug aerator even when loaded with weight is kinda "balanced", there's not too much load on the hitch and hole anyway.

A dethatcher is much the same thing. When you go from uphill to down both will move the pin about in the hole but in a man's lifetime and normal use you'll have a hard time wearing any of it out. Besides the shiny area on the tractor hitch plate gives the equipment that "professional used" look!:D

Some folks have adapted trailer couplers and balls to their equipment but mine are all staying "clevis and pin" types. And if you reach 90 years old and your hole has gotten too large you can always fab up a bushing for it and go for the big 100.:ROF

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
I can't offer ya any suggestions Gene, but did want to say howdy and :Welcome1: , hope you get it figured out :fing32:

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
:Welcome1: and enjoy the forum along with your new tools. slkpk

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Hi Gene. :Welcome1: :Welcome1: and :wwp: :wwp:

I wouldn't worry about it. I have an even lighter duty lawn tractor, a husqvarna LRH 125. It's 12.5 hp and a 38" deck. I have pulled a cart that has been loaded too heavy more than once and its been fine.

Given the light nature of your attachments, I'd put them on, use them, and not think twice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the imput guys,I guess I was just worried about the light duty look of the tractor metal.Guess I'm old enuff to remember when equipment metal had some "heft" to it.Probly head down to the barn in the morning to start putting this stuff together,if I'm feeling good enuff.Hope to get this stuff together by the weekend as both girls will be in.Any helpful "put together or watch out for" tips would be greatly appreciated as would any operating tips!
Once again THANKS FOR THE HELP AND WELCOME

Gene

·
Registered
406 Posts
If the hitch hole wears a little use that as justification to the better half that its time to get another tractor!

·
Citizen of Earth
15,291 Posts
If the hitch hole wears down the road, it can always be fixed by sandwiching it with a couple of stainless steel washers welded in place. Any weld shop would do that job for about $10 (not including washers).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts