My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently purchased a decent John Deere 400. I quit the sport of NTPA Tractor Pulling in the Mini Modified class, and wanted a slower paced hobby.

Didn't know much about John Deere garden tractors when I bought this one. I didn't realize some of the Unique items to the 400 as opposed to other models. Kinda fits me, though. I ran a Ford on the NTPA curcuit, and had to make a lot of things to get them to work.

So far, all I've done is:
Cleaned up the wheels, painted and added 4 new tires.
Changed the engine oil/filter
Added sleeve hitch adapter to the Cat 0 3 point hitch.
Added a front weight bar
Added some standard wheel weights from Craigslist.

I have a few Sleeve hitch implements purchased:

Moldboard plow
Box blade
cultivator
And plan on building a hiller on the cultivator.

Gonna try to plant a garden this year. Hopefully, this beast will pull the plow!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Your 400 looks pretty good. A 400 will till a garden up pretty well. Here is mine with the 35 tiller on the back. They are a pretty tough tractor. Yes, most of the attachments are 400 specific but that's just part of the game.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Good looking machine, hope it serves you well and you have fun with it.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
That 400 will pull a 12" bottom plow with NO Problems. I have plowed with mine in three different places and it will pull the 12" just about as fast as I want. I have 240 lbs of suitcase weights on the front weight bracket, both rear tires are loaded with antifreeze, and i have a set of the plastic/concrete weights as well as a set of cast iron weights on it. I have had it lug the motor down ONE time and that was because I was cruising along pretty good and hit some hard compacted dirt.(was a roadbed for the hay ride) You will enjoy using your machine.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Good looking machine, hope it serves you well and you have fun with it.
Looks like someone has new Meats and shiny rims... can't wait to get mine rolling...:trink39::greendr:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Added a new seat, also.
Hey, Carolinathunder9!

Very nice 400. I'm in the process of repowering and restoring mine. The PO put an off brand seat on it and messed with the brackets. I noticed you put a new seat on yours. Do you mind if I ask where you bought it and what kind of money it cost? Would you be willing to take some pictures of how all of the mounting goes together. I can make out most of it from the JD parts breakdown, but not the exact way it mounts. I'd like to put mine back on exactly the way it was from the factory.

Thanks,

Tim, Ohio

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey, Carolinathunder9!

Very nice 400. I'm in the process of repowering and restoring mine. The PO put an off brand seat on it and messed with the brackets. I noticed you put a new seat on yours. Do you mind if I ask where you bought it and what kind of money it cost? Would you be willing to take some pictures of how all of the mounting goes together. I can make out most of it from the JD parts breakdown, but not the exact way it mounts. I'd like to put mine back on exactly the way it was from the factory.

Thanks,

Tim, Ohio
I bought the seat from Ebay. wasn't an exact fit though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts