My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really pleased to have found you guys. I was on the verge of giving it away! An old LT11, that is. I bought it about 4 years ago from a neighbor, who had bought it a couple years earlier from a friend. It sure lacked in any category that might include appearance, but it ran and bagged my fall leaf collection, which is the primary reason I bought it. It came quite complete, with snowthrower, mower/dethatcher, bagger, and trailer. All units seem to be in working condition, although I've used only the mower and bagger combo. In my short time of using it, I really came to enjoy it. I consider it a well designed, even if a bit homely, piece of machinery. Perhaps it's non-sleek, squared off design is part of its attraction. It's certainly capable of being a workhorse.

About two years ago, the friction drive failed, obviously a worn disc. My mechanically gifted son-in-law replaced it, but some setting was off, because it chattered and was all chewed up before we took it off the mount he repaired it on. I've attached a couple photos of it after it has sat outdoors the past two winters.

So, I listed it on craigslist for a small sum, and have so far had interest only in the trailer. After finding this forum, I believe I can, with your expert guidance, redo the disc repair and enjoy a few more years with this wonderful red monster (you've got to admit, it's huge!!)

So, first order of business for me is to ask if you can guide me to resolve the problem created in replacing the disc. The second is to ask what you recommend as a platform to put it on for repairing it. Is it sufficient to hoist the rear axle up and work lying down, or is it better to get it up on a secure platform a few feet up (which begs the question of how to get it up there!).

That's my start. Many of you convey a great love for these machines, and generously offer your wisdom to others. I look forward to being a grateful beneficiary of that.

Incidentally, I'm in Eau Claire, WI, in case any of you are nearby.

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you with us.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Photos?? :fing32:

I'm not familiar with your model tractor, but my Comet 30 has bars on the rear that allows me to stand it up on end -- at least for cleaning the mower deck. Does yours have something similar? (Or am I an idiot for asking? :fing20: ) This could prove handy for replacing that friction drive. Although my experience is that they aren't difficult to work on, but the parts tend to be rather small...kind of like working on a foreign car.

When I restored mine, I hoisted it up on a forklift and set it upon 2 long saw horses that I rigged to hold it. It sat there for a good year or two until I finished. Although, it always seemed to be in the way.

Sorry I can't be much of help. Just out of curiosity, what's the asking price?

·
Registered
535 Posts
:Welcome1: Enjoy the site. Glad to have you.

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
Another Newbie here!
Anyone know what year/model a 4HP Snapper RER would be?
Going to look at it in a couple of days. Seller either doesn't know or can't be bothered to tell me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts