My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
537860CD-F7E3-4F9C-9AE4-5EE69F54B25A.jpeg
I just had machine gave to me and know nothing about it. Seems that the model # has been removed . Hope someonecan tell me what I have
32ECDBBC-484F-4771-8D3F-4C6AC7E9C6FC.jpeg

32ECDBBC-484F-4771-8D3F-4C6AC7E9C6FC.jpeg

537860CD-F7E3-4F9C-9AE4-5EE69F54B25A.jpeg
32ECDBBC-484F-4771-8D3F-4C6AC7E9C6FC.jpeg 537860CD-F7E3-4F9C-9AE4-5EE69F54B25A.jpeg 07D35197-7F0A-4C33-A75E-23200635D40F.jpeg

·
Registered
55 Posts
Looks like a professional 12. Does it have the hood?that little tag on the dash should have a serial number on it if I am not mistaken. Can you get a picture of that? Nice machine.

Edit: just saw the three other pictures that I didn't see before. It is a 12 hp Kohler with electric start. Also it is a swiftomatic, high-low speed with high low range. So 4 speeds in forward and reverse. Does it run? Make sure it has oil in both the engine and the transmission. Should be two different dipsticks.

·
Super Moderator
11,300 Posts
Yes, either a Commercial 12, or Professional 12 if Gravely had already changed the name before this tractor was built. Same tractor either way. The serial number tag is located above the "Richards" sticker by the left handlebar. If you post the number, we can tell you the year of the tractor.
Two separate oil dipsticks as Lnk mentioned.

Since it isn't starting, you will likely need to take the carb. apart, and clean it thoroughly. Also, there is a screen located inside the bottom of the fuel tank where the fuel enters. You may want to check to see that it isn't clogged with sediment.
As for the ignition, the first thing I would do would be to check, clean, and make sure that the points are adjusted (gapped) to .020 when open.

I saw the rotary plow, which is what we call them, in one of your pics. They work very well. There are youtube vids of them in action. Did you get any other attachments?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like a professional 12. Does it have the hood?that little tag on the dash should have a serial number on it if I am not mistaken. Can you get a picture of that? Nice machine.

Edit: just saw the three other pictures that I didn't see before. It is a 12 hp Kohler with electric start. Also it is a swiftomatic, high-low speed with high low range. So 4 speeds in forward and reverse. Does it run? Make sure it has oil in both the engine and the transmission. Should be two different dipsticks.
I googled the tag numbers but didn’t find anything on them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, either a Commercial 12, or Professional 12 if Gravely had already changed the name before this tractor was built. Same tractor either way. The serial number tag is located above the "Richards" sticker by the left handlebar. If you post the number, we can tell you the year of the tractor.
Two separate oil dipsticks as Lnk mentioned.

Since it isn't starting, you will likely need to take the carb. apart, and clean it thoroughly. Also, there is a screen located inside the bottom of the fuel tank where the fuel enters. You may want to check to see that it isn't clogged with sediment.
As for the ignition, the first thing I would do would be to check, clean, and make sure that the points are adjusted (gapped) to .020 when open.

I saw the rotary plow, which is what we call them, in one of your pics. They work very well. There are youtube vids of them in action. Did you get any other attachments?
Yes I got two brush hog attachments one is for parts, 52” “I think “ mower deck, and blade attachment. Also there’s attachments to make the machine into dual wheels on each side. I know nothing about this gravely but eager to find out . I wasn’t about to turn it down

·
Gravely1964
3,889 Posts
Well its interesting. It could be a 5000 series. Also are both axle tubes the same? Swear they don't look the same,

Pro will have a quick hitch like so. This also has a retro fit kit on it too.
DSC01964.JPG
An 5000 will have a removable quick hitch. I don't yours has a quick hitch.
DSC00224.JPG

Also model number is on the one tag by the Richards sticker. Thats not the serial number all will tell you what it was originally to the tag anyhow

·
Gravely1964
3,889 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ll take more detailed pics tomorrow. It has sat outside in the WV weather for two years that I know of. The choke cable and linkage is seized and the carb will need replaced or rebuilt. Thanks everyone for the feed back. Stay tuned . I’ll have a lot of questions

·
Registered
55 Posts
As tractortag mentioned, when you set the points, make sure you are not on the looser side of .020". My Kohler likes .016-.018" gap. At .020" mine misses a lot.

·
Super Moderator
11,300 Posts
And check the gap again after you tighten them up. I have found that the gap can open slightly after tightening, and they need to be re-adjusted just a hair less than .020, so that they wind up at .020 after tightening.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well its interesting. It could be a 5000 series. Also are both axle tubes the same? Swear they don't look the same,

Pro will have a quick hitch like so. This also has a retro fit kit on it too.
View attachment 2449211
An 5000 will have a removable quick hitch. I don't yours has a quick hitch.
View attachment 2449213

Also model number is on the one tag by the Richards sticker. Thats not the serial number all will tell you what it was originally to the tag anyhow
You mentioned that axle tubes look different thought I’d post pics so you can determine if in fact they are

1 - 11 of 11 Posts