My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I found this forum by accident. There seems to be some very knowledgible people here, so I feel comfortable asking for advice here.
I am replacing my 13 year old MTD Yard Machine. Don't let the name fool you. It has a 18.5 Kohler twin, 46 " deck, 23 inch rears. It says on the side it is an industrial/commercial, and I believe it. Even though I only paid 1700.00 at Lowes, it runs like a beast, mows like a beast, and pulls like a beast. Unknown to me at the time, it has turned out to be one of the best purchases I have ever made in my life. But like any animal, it has gotten old, and wants to go to sleep. The shift on the fly tranny now slips, and it chews and slings belts like crazy, even though I have already dropped a wad on new pulleys and bearings. therefore, I have decided to search for something new. The best value on the market seems to be in the Craftsman line, so I am looking hard at this brand. However, after 13 years of mowing with my beast of a garden tractor, I am very dissappointed in what I am seeing at the store.
Everything I sit on makes me feel (for lack of a better way to say it) cheap. I do not want to spend more than about 2k for this unit. I mow about 2 acres on a slight incline with a few obstructions. I hate that they are putting Briggs motors in just about everything. My Kohler has been wonderful, in fact, my entire tractor is literally falling apart around this motor! I swear, I could pull this Kohler out and send it to somebody in Cuba, so they can run one of their '57 Chevy taxi cabs on it! I would love another Kohler twin (don't even get me started on those ridiculous single cylinder engines!). My experience with Briggs is, if it isn't smoking and burning oil, it isn't running. But, I have resigned myself to the idea that I might have to settle for a Briggs, and stock up on a few cases of oil. I have even decided that I can get past the little 18" or 20" tires, and even the manual PTO lever that, to me, looks like an engineering after-thought. It looks like they forgot to design a PTO engagement mechanism, then like an hour or so before production somebody realized it, and said, "No problem, we'll just pencil it in here on top of the dash."
My main concern is the trannys. I would like a hydro, but I am hearing some issues out there with blowing them. I am 6'4" 220 lbs, and I have a slight incline to my 2 acre yard. I also pull a 300 lb yard roller/spike areator around. I would like to be able to work this thing without worying about the trans. I have been looking at the YT 4000 and the PYT 9000. I have also found a closeout on last year's surnamed "Monster Tractor. " Supposedly, this thing will accept ground engageing equipment, including a front end scoop.
Can anybody tell me anything about these units and their transmission durabilty? I also found some clearance prices on the GT5000 for around $2500.
Also, on the matter of ground engaging attachments such as push blades, box blades, front end scoops, discs, etc, what can I expect from the usability of these types of tools. Are they more of a novelty toy, only for moving snow and leaves, or can you actually do some work with these tools?
Thanks a lot for any advice you can give me. Anything you guys can tell me is appreciated.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

First question is what is the model of your old MTD, and are you selling it, junking it, or what? If it's an 84x series, I am after some sheet metal for mine.

I know guys nearly a man and a half the man you are not straining their hydros. I think you'll be fine. The MTS5000 or monster tractor series (at least when I looked at them a couple of years ago) did not have a ground engaging tranny.

I would guess you are not going to be truly happy with less than a GT series. You'll compare every little failure and shortcoming to your big old MTD.

A couple of members have JohnnyBuckets and are very pleased with them. You might look at these as well as the JohnnyBlade. And the Johny Products electric sleeve hitch for that matter. I think the Sears scoop is probably OK for very light work, but not much beyond that.

As for other attachments, you get what you pay for. Get a good heavy sleeve hitch box blade, or a Brinly plow, harrow, or cultivator and you'll be happy.

Ad some Carlisle All-trails to the rear and some Vredestein 5 ribs to the front of that GT5000 and you'd have a very good looking tractor.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I would not consider anything less than the GT line of Craftsman tractors. 2 acres + some hills/inclines = a GT with a Heavy Duty Tranny. The Craftsman GT Tranny's are all rated for ground engaging type duties and are built pretty tough. You really can't go wrong for the $$$ when you compare apples to apples. I've always thought that the Craftsman GT's provided the biggest bang for your sub $3K bucks as far as NEW goes. You clould also buy alot of good used GT (JD, WH, Cub, etc...) for that same $$$.

·
Retired and Busy!
10,175 Posts
WVUMountaineerFan

Good luck with your quest for a replacement tractor. I also believe that the Craftsman line represents good value for the money at that price point. Proper maintenance and TLC will go a long way. :MTF_wel2: We are glad to have you. There are many friendly and knowledgeable folks here at MTF, so enjoy all the different forums. Click on ”Active Topics” near the top left of the page for all the latest activity. You can also register with other members from your state by clicking here:

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
If you are planning on doing anything besides mowing or pulling a small cart, get a GT not a YT.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I agree get a GT. My thinking is always get something a bit more than you need at present. That way when you discover the other things that you can use your tractor for you will already have enough tractor for what you want to do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice. I guess in reality, I won't be doing anything more than mowing and pulling either a cart or my roller. I was really wanting a machine that exceeds the need, so that, in theory, it would last longer because it's more machine than what is neccessary for the job. Also, if I ever wanted to do more, the capability would be there if I wanted. Another option I have is that I could buy the YT 4000 for the short term need of mowing the grass, tear my old one down, and rebuild it from the ground up, leave off the mower deck, and outfit it to do ground engaging work. Of course, I still have the trans slip issue. But I am an auto tech, so maybe I could tear it down rebuild it, IDK.
On the other hand, the GT 5000 with H/Duty hyro, 54" deck, 26 HP twin Kohler is on sale right now for 2600 bucks. That is about as cheap as it will ever be. A guy I work with has one, and he says that his is 6 years old, and he is still running on the original belts! I have a few days to think about it cuz the sale is until July 5th.
Anyway, thanks guys, I guess I need to sleep on this some more, but the GT is sounding really good right now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi . Absolutely the GT is a durable tractor. I have an older GT22.5 with the Kohler 22.5 hp engine & a hydrostatic. This thing is a beast & just wont give up. I would like a new machine but this one is still operating like new.You should be fine with one of the new machines.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
WVUM: Most of the "what tractor should I buy" posts usually include a strong suggestion to buy one level up from what you think you need and you should be fine. It is very sound advice that I wish I had been aware of when I bought my first new tractor. Live & Learn! :duh:

Oh yeah - :MTF_wel2:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Welcome to MTF! Good to have a fellow South Carolinian, and WVU fan around. I also have the GS6500 although I have the 6spd tranny, it has been a very good machine, and has handled everything I have thrown at it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have also been told when dealing with tractors or mowers always buy at least 1 step up. It also helps when you can take advantage of a sale. Looks like you have 2 strikes in your favor. Go for it.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I guess in reality, I won't be doing anything more than mowing and pulling either a cart or my roller. I was really wanting a machine that exceeds the need, so that, in theory, it would last longer because it's more machine than what is neccessary for the job. Also, if I ever wanted to do more, the capability would be there if I wanted. Another option I have is that I could buy the YT 4000 for the short term need of mowing the grass, tear my old one down, and rebuild it from the ground up, leave off the mower deck, and outfit it to do ground engaging work. Of course, I still have the trans slip issue. But I am an auto tech, so maybe I could tear it down rebuild it, IDK.
On the other hand, the GT 5000 with H/Duty hyro, 54" deck, 26 HP twin Kohler is on sale right now for 2600 bucks. That is about as cheap as it will ever be. A guy I work with has one, and he says that his is 6 years old, and he is still running on the original belts! I have a few days to think about it cuz the sale is until July 5th.
Anyway, thanks guys, I guess I need to sleep on this some more, but the GT is sounding really good right now.
That is exactly the tractor that I have.
I haven't had it to long yet but so far I am very pleased with it's performance.:MTF_wel2:

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
:Welcome1:

Its great to have another Mountaineer fan around!

Enjoy the forum!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just to reinforce what D-dogg said, the monster tractor only looks like a garden tractor. Sears advertised it as having a "heavier duty" transmission, but they never advertised it "for use with ground engaging attachments". I almost bought one myself this past winter until I researched it some more. It's just a lawn tractor with big tires.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I lived in Washington St for 5 years. I lived on 5 acres there. I had a creek runing through the place. It was beautiful. The side with the house was a good hill and went down to flat by the creek. I had a JD Hydrostatic. I loved it. It was always damp there. When you are at the bottom of the hill you just give it throttle and up you go. My manual shift wanted to spin the tires and was a pain to mow the yard. I did about 3 1/2 acres of mowing.

I would go with the 6500. You can get one for the price you found on the 5500 series. They run big sales. This is not the time of year for good sales. I know you are not going to do much more than mow but I think a larger engind and larger frame will last longer. Smaller engines and light trans will ware out faster. I think the extra spent up front wiil pay off in the extra years of service. I would greese the tracor every month with 2 acres. Keeping the oil, filters changed and things lubed often extents the life of anything by years. I know it can be a pain to take time to do it but it does save mone and the time it takes is less than the time you spend repairing. For mowing, Craftsman are very good for the money. I have a 4500 series with a 42 inch deck. I need a small deck for all the flower beds in my yard. I have 2 Farmall's and 3 JD's. My John Deere is 35 years old and still going. I have rebuilt the engine once but that is nothing for 35 years. You pay 3 times as much for one as a Craftsman. If you get a 4500 series with larger engin and deck you are paying the same price as a 5500 series. You are a large man like myself. I am 6-1 and 265. The larger frame is much nicer to ride on. I bought my 2 sons C6500 tractors 2 years ago. I paid $1900 on an end of the year clearance. Both were manual.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts