My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just got a case 222, i was mowing my grass last night and it was having trouble with the longer grass and going up small inclines, it would bog right down and the blades would stop spinning, it seemed to be getting hot so i stopped and let it idle slow for a few minutes. it seemed to be blowing oil smoke out of the vent above the fuel pump. Is this a rings problem?
Thanks, Alan

·
Super Moderator
32,064 Posts
OK, a few thngs here....

The smoking... Ya, it could be a worn engine.. Also could be the wrong oil, or the breather is put together wrong.

As for the blade stopping... Well sounds like you eather need to adjust the drive belt, or adjust the clutch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you tell me how adjust the clutch? I got down and looked while I engaged the blades, and with the throttle on high the blades were spinning a lot slower than the engine speed.

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
If you will send me an e-mail address I will send you the manual on the clutch adjustment.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Suggest you go to'
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/casegardentractors/
Join that group and you will have access to manuals in the club files that provide the info you need.
This is an excellent suggestion, a PTO clutch adjustment manual is in the files. But, before you try to adjust the clutch, I suggest you find out about the apparent "Power loss." Adjusting the clutch will not help that problem. I get the impression that the engine was bogging down in heavy grass.

Have you serviced the tractor at all, being new to you? Are the cooling fins on the engine clean? Does it have the full 5 blade fan on the end of the clutch? As already asked, does it have the proper fresh oil? Is the breather clean, complete and properly installed?
Do you have an "Owners manual?"

Check the FAQ's in the files at Case GT, while there. Then post any new, unanswered questions!

Good luck to you as a new "Case" owner, and welcome to both forums! Just keep in mind, these tractors have a habit of multiplying!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Also, check the tension in the drivebelt (from tractor to mowing deck). If it's slipping or too lose, that will keep the blades from spinning correctly

Another thing to check are the deck blade bearings. I would either remove the deck or try to get under the tractor, take off the drive belt and see how easily the deck blades turn by hand. If you have bad bearings, they may have difficulty spinning.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Also understand where these machines can cut down hay fields, but they weren't designed for that.

Many a time when I would sell one of these - the buyer would call me complaining of belt failure. I would go over there and look at what they were mowing :swow: with total disbelief. With a new belt installed, I then ask them to demonstrate how they were cutting this - pto engaged - **** the torpedos - full speed ahead. I explain to them this is a hayfield - (mostly a field of weeds) and that this was not designed for this, however, it can be done provided they are at WOT, raise the deck and feed the deck slowly - giving the blades time to chew that all up. I then explain once you have this knocked down and mow it once a week you won't have that problem any longer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WOW! thanks for all the help and the manual, i think i will rebuild the clutch, looks like it might be the springs. Is there a good online store to get parts?
Alan

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Thanks a lot, please email me that clutch adjustment manaul
Alan
[email protected]
I would have to go to the home page and copy it for you. You can do that for yourself, and benefit from other stuff, also.
You can check the "files" in the group and down load it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts