My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Newbie help please: no hydraulic power on 448

Morning

So first my thanks for all the info here. has been a great help since I bought my first 'tractor' with the acreage 2 years ago, now I have 3...

So my latest is an Ingersoll 448 with loader and the unusual sleeve hitch. Has been working great with the tiller, but 2 nights ago simply stopped dead with no bangs or fanfare. The engine is running smoothly, and the pressure gauge shows 20psi as normal. Nothing hydraulic works, can't even feel fluid moving in the hoses to the tiller.

Any ideas? I've gone through the manual, but can't see anything obvious.

Having just about finished my new workshop, I was hoping to strip it down over the winter give it a good service, but it may be coming sooner now!

Thanks

Andrew
Alberta

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the speedy response! However, if the pump connection were blown, why would it show pressure in the system, or could this be a dodgy guage (on the replacement list as it has no glass).

Thanks again

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
I don't know what guage you are looking at since neither Case nor Ingersoll EVER installed a pressure gauge on the hydraulic system. If you are looking at an engine oil pressure guage, then that's got nothing to do with the hydraulics.

A hydraulic guage would have to be able to read pressures all the way from zero PSI to 2500 PSI. It's unlikely that a 2500 PSI gauge would even register 20 pounds.

If your implement lift will not pick up the deck or the tiller, then there is no pressure in the system. Couplers are like a light switch. They're either either working or they're not. Based on your description of absolutely no warning that anything was amiss, the coupler is the most likely culprit.

And if you pull the engine and happened to find the coupler as being OK, then a broken pump shaft or a pump shaft to internal gear connection has failed.

If the tractor has oil in it, the pump will pump it. If you have a tiller, then the oil goes there first when the PTO valve is opened.

As you said: "Nothing hydraulic works"... Pull the engine and report back here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Duh! Never thopught about it being engine oil pressure! I'd better get the workshop finished so as I can get this done (gets cold here!). Help is greatly appreciated.

Andrew

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you. The coupler would be the first thing on the list to check.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice welcome guys! :thanku: I''ll have to get some pics of the three; the other two are a 40 year old JD 110 that came with the house and a 2 yar old JD LA145 that I already regret but does cut the grass well.

I've never toyed with the mechanical side much, always had two brothers to help but having emigrated to Calgary from the UK, getting them here becomes a tad expensive. The 110 came with a box of parts and no manuals but runs OK. I managed to scratch the dirt with the tiller, but the mower deck was a disaster, so got the LA145. This has been OK, but certainly wasn't the experience I expected and with hindsight, I should have bit the bullet and bought something a little bigger.

The 448 came along as it had a loader and large tiller, which I throught would be great for getting the acreage set up & then sell it on once the big jobs were done. Truth be told, we ended up hiring a Bobcat and excavator to dig the irrigation ditch so did most of the smaller jobs at the same time.

Now I just need to get an acre of dirt tilled and levelled for seeding, and not much time left!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts