My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All Wood is the name..

Have ventured out with my 1995 Craftsman 42" cut Kohler 15.5 HP Hydro into the land of whether I should pay 600 to get my leaf collector/ sometimes garden hauler back in top shape. The old gray lady is the boxy type with the Heavy Duty Frame & the Kohler Command engine. But it has the dreaded Hydrostatic Transaxle problems; well after 15 years I guess it might have worn out...

Had gotten 15 years of service out of this unit and I hate to not have its service for the next 10 years. Don't push snow with this unit Have a neighbor with a 60HP JD that does that for me (if we get heavy snows) So its man function is to pull aerators, haul & occasionally collect the leaves with the bagging kit that I bought as an attachment. Have lots of Oaks dropping leaves on 1 acre of my 2 1/2 acre lawn..

When it went down in 2009 I went out & got EXmark Phaser 44" ZTR to handle all the Major grass cutting work. Like to maintain & keep both of my units in tip top shape, both are garaged, Oil changed every season & decks have grass blown off after every cut and decks are power washed after every 3rd mow.

Now about that Craftsman decision is getting a new Hydro Gear for 600 the best decision // my mechanic says he has purged mine & added oil to it 3 times but it keeps leaking.. Think he lost the top piece to it & wont admit to it. He made some do hicky with a sparkplug & a rubber hose on it so he could refill it .. maybe I should just change mechanics..working on my Craftsman..:praying:

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Welcome Wood good to have you with us. Tough call on your craftsman, don't know what I would do for sure in your case, I've repaired a tuff torq hydro tranny in my JD, but it is only 7 years old and in great shape, so to me it was worth the expense of less than a couple hundred to fix it if I can get another 7 years out of it or more. Your machine is now 15 years old, so only you can decide if you want to spend more money in a machine that old or take that money and invest in a newer machine. I wish you the best in what ever your decision is and I'm sure some of the guys will be along to offer an opinion as well :).

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
Welcome from Ruckersville.You should be able to find a used hydro unit much cheaper I would think.Probably a whole mower for 1/2 the price you were quoted.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Greetings from east end Richmond

1 - 7 of 7 Posts