My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well first Ford GT, I picked up this LGT 165 for $300 today, its not all that shiny up close but it runs and drives, motor has been swapped but the original came with it, 52" deck with a bad bearing on center blade, electrical is a mess, missing batt cover, original paint with dents and scratches, not exactly sure what Im gonna do with it, bought it because it matches my truck I guess...lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
676 Posts
OMG! What's up with the green air filter cover.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Nice machine and bearing are still available through new holland for this model which is a plus. Plus ebay has tons of parts for the lgt series. One of the best fords built and pullers love them. Good machine should last long time.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thx guys, original motor is here and complete with carb, air cleaner, starter, cracked block he said, I havent looked at it yet. Im actually looking for something with more weight for a fel but I thought this was priced right, if I got a snowblower for it I could sell my Cub maybe but dont really have any plans for it as of yet, I'll clean it up nice and find it a job around here. I like anything Ford;)

First project will be a batt cover... I hate missing parts, I work in metal fab so the replacement wont be oem, I'll search out pics and make one similar out of steel. Seat/toolbox is ruff but original and works so I think I'll hang it on the shop wall so the cover doesnt get any worse. Theres some welding needed on the bodywork so the paint will need to be redone eventually.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not finding any real good close ups of the batt cover... can I convince anyone here to take a few and post them? Inside and out, hinge.... is there a latch to keep it closed?

Havent got into checking #s yet but the seller said he thought it was a '74 or '75 model.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Not finding any real good close ups of the batt cover... can I convince anyone here to take a few and post them? Inside and out, hinge.... is there a latch to keep it closed?

Havent got into checking #s yet but the seller said he thought it was a '74 or '75 model.
Maybe these will help:
I had the hood off anyway so here you are. The wingnut is the hold-down device. You can see I pop-riveted a small piano hinge onto the cover, the original hinge was part of the cover but being plastic gave out long time ago.
Hope that is of some use.

Attachments

·
Registered
676 Posts
Thx much, exactly what I need:fing32:

I can tell from marks on my hood how big it needs to be but can you tell me how tall it is at the highest point?
3 " , the lip where the FORD label is is 2"

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Hey Lance
Come up with a really nice design, in metal, and you could market them. For some reason, Ford installed this one plastic piece in full eye view, and it failed miserably.
Decal is available for about $10.

As long as you are in metal fab, have a look at the fiberglass grill. They all failed at the bottom as well. Just no steel reinforcement. Some one was fabing up metal replacements for the Jacobsen version of our tractor but the look was a little too basic.
Something to consider.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Thx again:fing32:

I wont get the corners as rounded as the original but I can make a pretty good replica, I supervise a large metal fab shop so we got all the toys there.
I'm looking forward to a picture of the metal version.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well Larry, I kind of owe you one for the tip on finding this little gem so tell ya what, you have a new batt cover comin once I get it perfected.. as for the grill... little tougher to replicate but we do have a louver tool for our biggest punch system that would allow making a nice custom grill, I'll grab a pic of something at work tonight instead of trying to explain it.

Far too busy last night to even think of working on any of my own projects, mondays are like that ...I work 4 10s mon-thurs, 330pm to 200am, so the guys in day care have two full days to screw things up before Im back mon night, usually means some catchin up to do, day shift is run by the bosses son, nice guy, trys hard, but young and alot to learn, I super the night shift because of my experience, management goes home at 430, then Im the Boss... so I get to play a little somedays;)

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Hey Lance
Glad to help out with the find. I'm addicted to Kijiji. Most people just scan their city. I started scanning the whole province. Now I'm scanning multiple provinces.:pcwiz:

Looking forward to that new battery cover. Thanks.:fing32: I put a coat of paint on my old one, but every time I go to put it on, I just look at the plastic and put it back down. Oh well, Ford was entitled to one mistake.

If you could ever duplicate those grills, it would be fantastic. Every time I find a used one, I have to pay at least $500 for the rest of the tractor, in order to get the grill.:ROF

I did afternoons and nights for years (as a diesel mechanic) simply because it paid a buck or 2 more per hour. Later when I got into industrial compressors, got to know the machinists in our local G.E. plant. They were left 4 hrs bench work per nite and if nothing on the line broke, they were free to unofficially do gov't jobs. Did some fancy multiple gear ratios on a chain drive Case 430 I had. Could dig, then flip the gears over and go like a buggar down the road.

Lookin' forward to that new cover:thanku:

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I spend too much time on kjji myself, not only for tractors, I have an old Bronco II thats gettin pretty rusty so I want another one with a decent body as a parts truck.

Anyway, had an old file on the pc at work to run a louver sample, each opening is an individual stike with the punch, the size of the opening can not be changed but they can be moved and spaced out to match the original # of holes, this particular pc is perfectly square but it can be made to match the ford grill, with some detailed paint work I think it would make a very nice 'custom' grill. Big plus being that this can be done with existing tools we have for the punch. If your interested you can search 'Finn Power Shear Genius', we have the top of the line 2008 model, pretty fancy punch by any standard.

Problem with trying to replicate the original grill is the tooling to create the raised rectangular holes, they arent all the same size so I would need a differant tool for each size of hole, at around $500 each it simply isnt logical. I could punch the holes in flat stock and then add detailed paint to create a very similar appearance, but it wouldnt fool any ford fans.

The outer frame of the grill is all very basic, hands on, time consuming tin bashing, with a little mig welding mixed in. Only concern there is that a metal grill is going to be heavier than the original and should have extra support added down to the frame of the tractor... since I dont currently have any front attachments Im not sure where exactly that can go but Im sure it can be done.

So when looking at the pics keep in mind this was just a pc of scrap I threw under the punch and used an old customer file that just happened to be about the same overall size as the ford grill, if it was redone with new metal and the proper shape with the vents spaced out similar to the oem design it would take on an entirely differant appearance.... and this would be a winter project when its slow at work.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Forgot to memtion... only progress on the batt cover tonight was a cardboard prototype done from catdoo's pics(thx buddy), and it came within a 1/4" here and there of fitting very nicely, one question tho, think I have 3 holes in the hood, are those oem for the original hinge? and is the oem hinge hidden under the cover or exposed in front of the cover as shown in the pics?

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Hi Lance
The louvers look great, but like you said, wouldn't fool any Ford Fans. I think you would be taking on more than it is worth right now. Mostly it is the bottom 6" that is missing, where it attaches with 5 (I think) screws. You appear to at least have all the louvers on yours. The guys have been painstakingly recreating this out of fiberglass, trying to maintain the original look. Maybe put the grill fab on hold for now.

From the two battery covers I have, 3 holes was the original design and are probably still the same in your hood. There never was an actual hinge, just one of those flexible seams that failed sooner than later. You maybe still have the 3 bolt plastic edge still attached to the hood. One of mine has been repaired with 2 tiny 1" metal hinges, but with the bolts and nuts does not sit flat. Only reason, other than cost, that I can see for Ford using plastic, would be that it would not cut into the hood with vibration.

As for the Bronco IIs, I had two, before they were called IIs. One was a '67 (rust free that came from the west) pickup with 4' box. Second was a '74 with full cab and back seat. The '67 I sliced the roof and made it full length so the dog could ride inside. Had a plywood deck so still had a trunk for all the junk. Took out the 170 and installed a 250. Pulled a house trailer out to BC and back in '75. Used it to plow snow on the side for many yrs. The '74 was basically the Wife's to drive. Both long gone, but wish I still had that little pick up as a pick up.

Later.........

·
Registered
676 Posts
Whoa! Back up the bus. What's gone? The wife and the dog? Or the two Bronco's?:hide:

Just asking.:sidelaugh

·
Registered
676 Posts
Forgot to memtion... only progress on the batt cover tonight was a cardboard prototype done from catdoo's pics(thx buddy), and it came within a 1/4" here and there of fitting very nicely, one question tho, think I have 3 holes in the hood, are those oem for the original hinge? and is the oem hinge hidden under the cover or exposed in front of the cover as shown in the pics?
OK, I'll go with what Larry said about the hinge............there was no hinge just part of the plastic cover. On my pictures you can see part of the old plastic "hinge" with the small metal piano hinge underneath. I'm starting to confuse myself even.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Whoa! Back up the bus. What's gone? The wife and the dog? Or the two Bronco's?:hide:

Just asking.:sidelaugh
Still got the Wife, dog has been replaced 3 times over (RIP). It is the little Bronco Pick up I miss. I have a Ranger pick up now, but that little Bronco just had more character.:fing32:

1 - 20 of 63 Posts