My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Both are extremely high quality examples of refined engineering applied to simple objects. Both should run thousands of hours without any issues if properly maintained and not abused. The L175 won't have 4 wheel drive. The Yanmar might. For pulling a finish mower, 4wd won't matter. For using a loader, the smaller machines do several times better if the front axle will drive. The Kubota will be bigger and have more power than the Yanmar, and weigh much more, along with having larger tires. All of that will help for loader or ground engaging work.

What are you trying to do with the tractor? what you need out of the machine will drive the selection. If all you need is a mowing machine, look at dedicated mowers as an alternative. Compact utility tractors do everything adequately, but really nothing best.

In would first decide what you need from the machine, then start making choices from there. Putting in food plots may require a brush mower, then likely a disk or plow or rippers on a box blade or something. The Kubota package would put you ahead there. Unless it is 4wd, or you have a specific task that only a smaller tractor will do, I would pick the Kubota out of those two. It has an exceptionally nice engine; though loud, it is not as bad as my Yanmar 2 cylinders.

A close friend has an L175. My Mitsubishi D1800 is broadly equivalent to the L175, and my YM 2000 series is just larger. My YM 1401D with a loader is roughly the Japanese market equivalent of the 165, being slightly more powerful and a couple other relatively minor differences. I have a Satoh 1440 that is the competitive product, too. It is just a tractor, no loader. Both the 1401 and Satoh are 4wd, and need it for doing ground engaging tasks or loader work. I have a 4wd YM240D and 2wd versions as well. With 2wd the bigger machines are about as productive as 4wd 14-ish PTO hp machines in my experience in most ground engaging tasks, and will do fine with a loader.

Only you can gauge the usefulness of my comments. I'm certainly not any authority, but I have used what you're looking at, or their equivalents, quite a bit. It is tough, too, not knowing what tasks you need the machine for. I'm often a contrarian to others advice to buy a bigger tractor, because I have been hindered too many times by not being able to physically fit a larger machine in, around under, or near obstacles. A larger machine cannot go where a small one will, but a large tractor can do more at a time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much for info.Little light dirt work,some small food plotting,and alot of leafs to be mulched.15 oak trees on 2 acres.Not 4x4,not alot of front loader work right now,probably get loader later. Funds kinda low right now.
thanks,bguice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.