My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the question i have is when i slow the speed of the tractor down the blades also turn slower........ but if you lower the idle and leave the speed up it seems to cut better. SO shouldnt you be able to slow the speed of the tractor down and the blades stay at the high rpm with the motor? please explain?

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
The speed of the blades on the mower deck relate only to the engine speed. Changing ground speed should have zero effect on the mower deck.

When asking ANY questions about a Colt, Case or Ingersoll tractor.... it's a really, really good idea to tell us the model number and the serial number. If you know the cutting width of your deck, then include that too.

·
HeadCase For My Ingersoll
1,359 Posts
The speed of the blades are relative to the throttle speed, not the travel control speed. Naturally, when mowing, moving slowly foreward with the throttle all the way up will give a nicer cut than if the travel control were set to max.

That being said; It's not recommended to mow in any throttle position less than full. OPE are designed to be started at lower-middle rpm, operated at high rpm, and then idled before shutdown. Putting loads on an engine at less than full power increases the chance of "dogging" the engine and causing a stall.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
exactly all of this is common sense , that is why i dont understand whats going on. because when i slow down to lets say go around a tree. i lower the speed of the tractor leave it at full rpm..... and it seems like the blades slow down.....Also when i slow down to cut longer grass and by longer i mean 5" its one spot that grows faster, I slow the speed down to give it a chance to cut and it dogs more than going full speed.. I always leave it at full rpm i was just experimenting to see what it did today.

model 222-75
ser. 9706173

·
HeadCase For My Ingersoll
1,359 Posts
Perhaps you have "old" cables that wander down due to engine vibration?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no thats not it..... if you leave it full throttle and full speed its no problem its only when you try to slow down. i guess i could just leave it full speed and burn some rings around the trees. in all seriousness I was just wondering if there was any thing to do with the hydraulics and the blades? i guess not no big deal. I will do some searching and try to figure it out. just thought someone might have heard of such a problem.maybe ill take a video and post it up so you all can see what im talking about. :thanku:

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
The only thing that would make the deck slow down like that would be a tension problem with the drive belt. Perhaps it's the forward momentum of the tractor that is pulling on the deck and keeping the belt tensioned properly but when you slow down the belt loosens off due to excess play in your mule harness.

Check it out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i adjusted the clutch last week. It was way out of whack blades wouldn't even stay engaged, thats all better now. as far as the belt adjustment I tightened it up today with the "t" handle on the front of the mule drive. i dont know how to do it correctly though i tightened it up so the belt was snug. I know there has to be a procedure but i have not got around to getting a manual yet. I printed off the kohler manual but im going to buy a tractor manual. sorry for asking questions before tuning it up the "right" way. just getting in to it.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
You should be turning the adjuster handle until the tensioning spring's coils have opened up the same distance apart as the thickness of the wire used to wind the spring. If the tensioning spring has been over-stretched, then it should be replaced.

·
Registered
772 Posts
You should be turning the adjuster handle until the tensioning spring's coils have opened up the same distance apart as the thickness of the wire used to wind the spring. If the tensioning spring has been over-stretched, then it should be replaced.
Didn't realize this... I thought that I had read somewhere that the two mule pulleys should end up being parallel to each other.

Methinks I should go check the adjustment later today...

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
There is a belt under the deck plate also. If the idler pulley arm is frozen, the belt will be loose. If your blades are slowing down under power and the engine rpm stays relatively stable, something is slipping ( clutch or belts ) ...

:fing20:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Does this issue happen only when you are turning, or also when you are going straight? I was thinking that maybe something in the mule drive was binding up when you turn.

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
There is a belt under the deck plate also. If the idler pulley arm is frozen, the belt will be loose. If your blades are slowing down under power and the engine rpm stays relatively stable, something is slipping ( clutch or belts ) ...

:fing20:
Agreed, but if the belt (or clutch) slips, it`s due to a higher work load and one would assume that slower ground speed should equate to less load on the deck drive system
The O.P.`s issue is completely counter intuitive and the only somewhat reasonable explanation so far, is Castoff`s concept of a migrating mule drive. Please look at the front (vertical) surface of your mule drive mounting plate, Is it straight up & down, or is the bottom edge "forward" of the top edge. I found that wear in the notches combined with the "push" of the rear leveling deck links conspired to push this plate forward. I removed the lower pins and bolted the plate solidly into a 100% vertical position. This had the added benefit of increasing the distance between the rear edge of the front tires and the mowing deck at full lock. YMMV

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks guys ill look into it tom. I was busy working on the golf cart after work,I got the upgraded motor back from being built! electric...... I love it now it will go up hill 18 mph not sure what she will do on flat ground. ANYWAY, thanks for giving me ideas to check. As far as straight or turning, It slows the blades during both. This leads me to believe its a mule drive prob. like you guys say. I will start with checking the plate to see if its plumb, then ill adjust the belt tension and Ill go from there. Unless one of you has a better order of operations, your the pros.

Sorry for the long posts. Thanks again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts