My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening everyone,

I would like your input on the following tractor I am looking to purchase and need to know if it is worth it..

The Task: I am looking for a tractor that I can put a box blade or straight blade on to level a gravel driveway

The candidate: John Deere 110 garden tractor38'' deck, Kohler 10hp engine, hydro lift.

Asking price: $500..

I spoke to the owner and the deck is a replacement, this unit has 4 speeds with a high low range. From what I gather from him this will work great for my needs.:thThumbsU

So I would ask you here for your opinion, is this a $500 tractor? If so what should I check before I pay the man and take her home??

I appreciate your patience with this newbie and thank you in advance for sharing your wisdom with me.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Does it have a rear lift?

You'll need one for your blade. I'm not entirely sure whether these had a 3PH or sleeve hitch. If not, they can be a $500 option. So, without, this is not much of a bargain for you.

·
Registered
538 Posts
:ditto:

You'll need one for your blade. I'm not entirely sure whether these had a 3PH or sleeve hitch. If not, they can be a $500 option. So, without, this is not much of a bargain for you.

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,975 Posts
What's that odd dealie sticking out of the front of that machine? THAT doesn't look standard, but I could be wrong. Is it a hydro port? It doesn't look like a blade mount... Its hydro-lift for the deck, I don't know if that translates to hydro for a blade. I'd worry about whether you can GET A blade that would fit it, if it doesn't come with one....

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

My understanding is that there is a ball on the back so you can tow a cart kind of like the ball on the back of your truck for hooking up a trailer... don't know could ask him to send a picture of the back.. what else should I ask him? :thanku:

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Well, for either a box blade or rear blade, you need some form of rear lift, whether it be a sleeve (aka integral) hitch or 3 point hitch.

I suppose there may be such a thing as a tow behind box or scraper blade with its own lift system and wheels. Maybe an ATV type attachment.

But if all this has is a simple ball on the tow hitch plate, I believe I would keep looking.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I agree. Especially if you plan on pulling a box blade. THat just won't handle it, IMHO.

The smallest commercially available, "real" box blade is 4'. Mine weighs 380 lbs.

I haven't used it yet, but I'm sure it will be all the 318 can handle.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, for either a box blade or rear blade, you need some form of rear lift, whether it be a sleeve (aka integral) hitch or 3 point hitch.

I suppose there may be such a thing as a tow behind box or scraper blade with its own lift system and wheels. Maybe an ATV type attachment.

But if all this has is a simple ball on the tow hitch plate, I believe I would keep looking.
So as it is a JD 110 with a 38" Hydro lift for $500 it is not worth that much.. so what in your opinion would be a fair price. Oh and I think he said it is a 1973 model..... :thanku:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree. Especially if you plan on pulling a box blade. THat just won't handle it, IMHO.

The smallest commercially available, "real" box blade is 4'. Mine weighs 380 lbs.

I haven't used it yet, but I'm sure it will be all the 318 can handle.

Wow that is a nice setup crawler... I did not think a box blade was that large.. seeing it on your 318 makes me think that I should probably look for a blade instead regardless.... :thanku:

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Well, if you think it's a cool tractor to add to your collection, and it is in very good condition, $400-$600 is in the ballpark. This is not the older round fendered 110 which you hear all the JD nuts raving about.

But, if you want a work machine which will handle your task, look for a 318, as Crawler recommended. You're not going to get one for $500 though, more like $1500-$2000.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Wow that is a nice setup crawler... I did not think a box blade was that large.. seeing it on your 318 makes me think that I should probably look for a blade instead regardless.... :thanku:
How about this - show us a picture of what you want to work on?

·
Super Moderator
17,139 Posts
Here's the hitch that a 110,112 fender decks take.
Looking at that picture though of the 110 I thinks it a electric lift 110 not Hydraulic because there should be a Handle coming from the left side underneath the hood The electric lift 110's had a switch on the dash. But saying that I know you could switch the handle on the Hydrulic lifts to the right side but they came standard on the left. On the 110's you could use a sleeve hitch Box Scraper or Rear Blade. Deere even made a mid mount blade for it which I belive This company made at a Mid mount after market Blade to be used on it on one time http://www.alzwelding.com/sellfolio.html
The 110 in it's day could take a Loader than Ran via PTO pump. :thThumbsU

·
Super Moderator
35,878 Posts
Hard to tell from the picture but I do see an unusual knob on the right side and I've included a picture of the hydraulic lever. If it is I've not see too many of this model 110 with hydraulics. But the rest of the tractor isn't stock so not a collectable one anyways. If it were in slightly better condition I would give $500 if it runs good! As I'm seeing it $350 to $400 tops! To do blading or any ground engagement you'll need the sleeve hitch Sergeant has put in his post.

Attachments

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Keep looking, yes a 110 will work.

·
Registered
829 Posts
If i remeber correct the hydraulic lever comes out the left side of the 110.If you look close you can tell that there is no hydraulic pump sitting on top of the motor.The knob on the right is probly the pto engagement lever knob.

·
Registered
153 Posts
It takes a lot of ooomph to push gravel around, even freshly deposited gravel. if you plan to level an existing gravel packed driveway you might best hire someone with a crawler.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It takes a lot of ooomph to push gravel around, even freshly deposited gravel. if you plan to level an existing gravel packed driveway you might best hire someone with a crawler.
Thanks for the suggestion. My idea is to not have to pay someone to do it regularly.. Already did that once last year... my thinking is if I don't upkeep it then yes I will have to get someone with a large grader to do the job as I had to last year.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How about this - show us a picture of what you want to work on?
Ok so here is my humble gravel driveway:

Not much to look at but it works:

All the washout is collected at the bottom:

So what do you think... can the JD 110 handle this or should I concider the Cub Cadet 124 from the other post I have here..... :thanku:

1 - 20 of 97 Posts