My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this Case442 so far not so good got a new pto clutch disk did what the directions said put it on well I had problems earlier with it bogging down with going up my ditch changed oil fixed linkage now it will drive in my ditch but not with the mower running it bog's down and then i can't get the mower running again I could spin the blades with one finger when it was off it still seems free the pto disk seems to get glazed over and with a little 220 sand paper it all works again help please

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Slow down. Your run-on sentences with no capitals and zero punctuation make it hard to understand.

Answer these questions.

1. Did you clean off the old disc and then use your oven to bond the new disc on?

2. Do you have the old style shim clutch or the newer EZ adjust clutch that has the large hexnut just behind the plastic fan?

3. Did you have the clutch service manual to refer to when you re-assembled the clutch and adjusted it?

4. Are you 100 percent sure that the clutch is what's slipping?

5. Are you using a Kevlar V-belt from the PTO to the deck?

6. Did you properly tension that belt?

7. What "oil" did you install in the hydraulic system when you changed it?

8. Did you check the belt and the pulleys to see if they are glazed?

9. Are the blades on your deck sharp?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sorry I was all flustered about it. I babel to so again sorry. I think I found the problem.There was a washer left out between the coupler and the pulley.I also found out that my throttle was slipping down.Letting the idle go down not bogging out.It works ok now well it did half the font yard. Holding the throttle lever up so I stopped to fix the problem
1-yes with 220 stone and degrease 2 old style 3-just ingersoll catalog.com 4-yes 5-yes 6-don't know how 7-15w40 8-yes 9-pretty sharp

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Sorry I was all flustered about it. I babel to so again sorry. I think I found the problem.There was a washer left out between the coupler and the pulley.I also found out that my throttle was slipping down.Letting the idle go down not bogging out.It works ok now well it did half the font yard. Holding the throttle lever up so I stopped to fix the problem
No problem. We have more than one babbler on this forum. :biglaugh:

The throttle control comes two different ways but both have a clutch disc in them. Some have a nut/bolt type pivot that can be tightened with wrenches. The other type is riveted together. That one can be fixed by first removing it from the tractor and then placing it on an anvil or other solid steel object so that you can give it a tap with a hammer. CAUTION.... Start with a light tap and then check it. If it's still too loose, then tap it a bit harder but check it between taps. If you smack it too hard, then you'll seize it up.

As for your former issue, you did not answer whether you have the Case service manual for PTO clutches or not. There is an order as to how they go back together. If you don't want ongoing problems with that clutch, then you need to make sure it has been assembled correctly. Just so you know, a new, complete clutch is more than $500.00 US so taking care of the one you have is a wise move.

EDIT

You should have a Tee-handle on the front of the mule bracket IF your 444 has the spring-loaded pins on the frame ends to mount attachments such as the deck and snocaster. That Tee handle is the tension adjustment for the drive belt and there should be a tensioning spring right there with it. If the spring is in good shape, then the rule of thumb is to add tension until the spaces between the coils in the spring are equal to the thickness of the wire used to make the spring.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
One additional comment I would make, or question I would ask___ Does the clutch engagment handle "snap" into place with some amount od resistance when you engage the clutch? If not, the adjustment is not proper.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it does snap in. I mowed my hole yard without problem thanks every one.I used the online catalog to make sure I put it together wright.That's how I found the shim out of place

·
Registered
14 Posts
What is the proper clutch adjustment?
When I turn the motor with the fan blade everything turns and tightens the clutch .
How do I keep the adjustment tight on the hex nut.
I know I am not supposed to turn the motor with the fan and I just did this one time.
Is the nut supposed to be self locking.
I am missing something here.
Thanks to all

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
In order to understand the clutch properly, you need the manual. If you join the Yahoo Case site, you can access that manual by clicking on the FILES section on the upper left side of your screen and then scrolling down to find the folder.

Here is the link.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/casegardentractors/

A thorough inspection of all the parts to your clutch is necessary. Making 100 percent sure that you are assembling all the parts in the correct order is also essential. Reading the instructions again and again until you understand them completely will help you arrive at a satisfactory adjustment. It takes practice to get it right but once you learn the procedure, it gets very easy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts