My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 1951 8N and 5' brush hogwhich according to the seller was restored 2 years ago. It needs to be rewired in that the only wiring operational is for the ign. system. None of the lights work. It has been converted to 12vdc so that part is good and on first use the alt started working after 2 hours. The ballast resistor and points were not so lucky, the ballast resistor opened and the points burned so I bypassed the resistor and filed the points and worked another hour before parking the tractor till I can get parts and repairthe wiring and ign the correct way. Well now on vacation visiting our son so I will view later when we get back to the hotel.

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Welcometo the forum. Glad to have you.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,318 Posts
:Welcome1:

Glad you could join us. Sounds like you have a great start on a really nice tractor.

Enjoy the forums.

·
Retired and Busy!
10,175 Posts
haroldrussi

Be sure and check out our Big Tractors by Brand / Ford N's 9N/2N/8N Forum here:
http://www.mytractorforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38

:MTF_wel2: we are glad to have you. There are many friendly and knowledgeable folks here at MTF, so enjoy all the different forums. Click on ”Active Topics” near the top left of the page for all the latest activity. You can also register with other members from your state by clicking here:

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
:MTF_wel2: Sounds like you have a handle on your tractor troubles, enjoy the site and remember we like pictures.

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,772 Posts
:MTF_wel2: Harold !, nice to have you here with us and best of luck in getting your tractor issues taken care of :).

·
Retired - Veteran Mod
6,791 Posts
:MTF_wel2:

With a side-mount distributor, if you get a genuine 12V coil... and depending on how your conversion was built... you probably won't need a ballast resistor or a dropping resistor.

I just converted a 1955 MF TO-35, last spring, and re-wired my 1950 8N. Both of them use a 1 wire alternator, a true 12V coil... and no resistors.

:goodl:

and

:wwp:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts